Riding Flight of Passage while pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of force that can cause damage to a developing fetus is much less than what is required to cause injury to an adult. Don't ride anything with a warning for expectant mothers.

Last edited:
Soarin actually does not carry the pregnancy warning. It was the only E-ticket ride I rode while pregnant.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/#/expectant-mothers/

The only time Soarin has forward motion is during the ascent. If the ride stopped in the middle for whatever reason, you’d just be left hanging there.

In addition, the restraint on Soarin is a belt that should be worn across the hips (similar to the lap belt portion of a seat belt in a car). It should not be putting any pressure on the stomach area.
Hmm, I’m almost positive it did at one time have a pregnancy warning but as I have never been to wdw while pregnant I’m not sure. I know there are others that you’d think “why not” and it’s due to the emergency stops vs the usual operation of the ride.

You'll find that the warnings for pregnant moms cast a wide net. For places like Disney this is for liability reasons.

In the first trimester it's likely fine. The fetus at that point is tiny and surrounded by a nice cushion of amniotic fluid. BUT, I still wouldn't ride and here's why: early in pregnancy miscarriage is common, the cause is usually some sort of genetic anomaly with the fetus but as mothers we are programmed to blame ourselves. So even though I think the risk in early pregnancy is probably low I would not wish to risk something happening and then torturing myself with what ifs.

The reason for the pregnancy warnings on many rides which seem smooth (Soarin recommends not riding while pregnant) isn’t for the normal operation of the ride, it’s in case of an emergency stop the ride the ride moves a lot more jerkily than it normally does
Are you sure about Soarin’? It’s not on WDW’s website that I saw. I have been looking too.

Are you sure about Soarin’? It’s not on WDW’s website that I saw. I have been looking too.

There’s no pregnancy warning on Soarin. I did pretty extensive research before going while pregnant (I’m an over-worried by nature), and there are no warnings for pregnancy for this ride. I did ride it while pregnant.

There’s no pregnancy warning on Soarin. I did pretty extensive research before going while pregnant (I’m an over-worried by nature), and there are no warnings for pregnancy for this ride. I did ride it while pregnant.
Ok. That’s what I thought too. I’m the same way. I like to call it “overly cautious”. I didn’t think I saw one. Thanks!

I know that for me, if heaven forbid something awful were to happen, I would never be able to forgive myself, even if the rational part of my brain knows that it had absolutely nothing to do with me riding the ride.

I would also avoid a ride with a warning!

And agreed with others that my morning sickness never starts until 6-7 weeks, usually peeks between 8-12 weeks, and usually is gone by around 15 weeks. Hopefully you'll be a lucky one who doesn't get any! I would hate to miss out on some of that delicious food at Disney due to food aversions!! But obviously worth it for a precious baby. ;)

The first time I rode FOP, I got pushed so hard up against the chest pad, that I had a hard time taking in a full breath of air. My chest actually hurt. I really wanted to breath in on those downward swoops. The second and third times, I pushed slightly back on the back pad, so that I wasn't pushed as hard into the chest pad. However, some of the people near me had the CM using her hand to see if there was any gap at all between the back and back pad and the chest and chest pad. So, I would say no. Plus, like others said, morning (or it should really be called all day) sickness. I barely had it with my first pregnancy, which resulted in a miscarriage at 3 months. It came fairly bad with my successful second pregnancy. Also, having had a miscarriage, I know that I question some things that I did, like auto-racing school (didn't know I was a week or 2 pregnant), during my first pregnancy. I know that it probably had nothing to do with anything that I did, but there's always that bit of doubt, and at first guilt. So, just keep all of these things in mind when making your decision. Hope you have a great trip and great pregnancy.

As someone who went through three miscarriages before having a successful pregnancy, I would not ride. I know for me, if I rode something with a warning and then later miscarried, I would always have wondered if that was why (even though it probably wouldn't be). But, having gone through the miscarriages, I was also more cautious and worried than I otherwise would have been.

Also, as others have mentioned, nausea could well be a factor. I rode Buzz Lightyear when I was 15 weeks pregnant with my second daughter, and the spinning made me super nauseous, even though I was well past morning sickness at that point. So, just another thing to consider.

Good luck to you!

Ok. That’s what I thought too. I’m the same way. I like to call it “overly cautious”. I didn’t think I saw one. Thanks!
We are going over Christmas and we are expecting our first. My wife will be around 22-22 weeks when we go and I’ve been making sure what we can ride. The one ride that I saw she could ride was Soarin. That was about the only E ticket ride I was planning on having us ride.

I was around the same time as you'll be when we had the AP preview for Pandora. I DID NOT ride. DH did and said it probably would've been fine but I just didn't want to worry about it. I've had a very anxious pregnancy and didn't want to add any more stress to myself than necessary.

Congrats on your good news!

You'll find that the warnings for pregnant moms cast a wide net. For places like Disney this is for liability reasons.
This is immediately where my mind went. While I'm sure part of the concern with safety recommendations and what to ride and not to ride is for the safety and well-being of the pregnant mother and her precious cargo, I suspect at least half of it is concern for avoiding lawsuits. When bad things happen, people want to blame someone or something. It would be easy to blame the ride, even if it's not the ride's fault if you miscarry after riding it. You have to decide what you're comfortable with as far as pregnancy "risks" go. There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.

When I was pregnant with kid 2 I did lots of stuff many women don't do. I went of long hikes hauling stuff, took
a family trip to D.C. and a couple's trip to Santa Fe, worked out with a trainer and carried my 3 1/2 year old up the stairs for naps during my third trimester. The second baby came out just fine.

I wouldn't go on a ride with lots of movement that pressed against my stomach though. My dh had suggested WDW as the family trip but I said no since I wouldn't be able to ride lots of rides. We did D.C. instead.

My doctor told me no rides at Disney at all, so I wouldn't ride.

And therein lies what I found so frustrating during my pregnancies (which were high risk because of a health issue I had earlier). I know I have seen people post here that their doctors told them that most rides at Disney are perfectly fine and I have no doubt they we told that. So if the experts can vary from 'OMG!!!!! Don't do it!!!' to 'Its no big deal, you'll be fine' how is anyone supposed to make an informed decision?

OP, congrats on your pregnancy. I hope all goes well. Hopefully you have a doctor you trust. Talk thru it with her/him and make the best decision you can with the info you have. Good luck.

My doctor told me no rides at Disney at all, so I wouldn't ride.

There must be some kind of extenuating circumstances there. It's perfectly safe for a woman with a normal pregnancy to hang out on Peter Pan, small world, Spaceship Earth, or any of the other slow moving rides.

And therein lies what I found so frustrating during my pregnancies (which were high risk because of a health issue I had earlier). I know I have seen people post here that their doctors told them that most rides at Disney are perfectly fine and I have no doubt they we told that. So if the experts can vary from 'OMG!!!!! Don't do it!!!' to 'Its no big deal, you'll be fine' how is anyone supposed to make an informed decision?

OP, congrats on your pregnancy. I hope all goes well. Hopefully you have a doctor you trust. Talk thru it with her/him and make the best decision you can with the info you have. Good luck.

Most rides ARE perfectly fine, unless you're high risk for any reason.

Truth: you’d be just fine riding it.

Truth: As a PP who was a high risk practitioner noted, and as I know as well, and regardless of what we all believe, no one can medicolegally give you a thumbs up safely, especially when the ride itself has a warning. So, it’ll be hard to get official validation despite reasonable safety. It’s seldom a question about the activity itself but the risk of perceived association of that activity to a very low likelihood unfortunate outcome.

Last thing: We are evolved to be able to carry gestations to a high percentage of success through reasonable daily activities that our remote ancestors would have faced. Use that as a rule of thumb.

Uh oh. Yeah, I’m at 4 weeks. I thought that I might be in the clear about that. My half-sister had hyperemesis gravidarium so badly right from the get go she had to have a pump of anti-nausea medicine dispensed 24-7. I know it can get bad. Not a thing so far, though.

Congratulations to you! I found out I was pregnant when I had a trip already planned...that would have put me going around 9 weeks. I thought I was still good to go, and I just couldn’t ride that many rides. no big deal. Well week 7 hit and the full blown 24/7 nausea, there was no way anyone could have put me on a ride let alone riding in a car the whole way up there. I was severely ill until around week 13. And ended up cancelling the trip. Just something to consider and keep and eye on, nausea usually hits around week 6 or so. I personally wouldn’t ride anything with a warning, just in case. God forbid something did happen, i would want to be 100% sure that wasn’t the cause. But talk to you doctor, and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!