Ridiculous Question - Anyone know Dimensions of an Epcot Garbage Can lid ?

jcvalenti

Epcot OG
Seriously - if anyone knows this, I'll be shocked.

Wife and I are going for Food & Wine and in years past, when it gets crowded, we've been relegated to gathering around garbage cans just looking for a place to set stuff down. This year, she has it in her head to construct and unrollable "table cloth" to flop over the garbage can lid, but needs to know the dimensions.

I figured if there was any place in the planet she could get an answer to that question, it would be here.

I don't have the dimensions, but I imagine a standard cloth napkin or placemat would be adequate. You need to have something that covers the top, but does not make it impossible for other guests to use it as a trash can (that is, the "tablecloth" can't obstruct the trash opening).

Just get a couple of heavier-duty cloth napkins and be done with it! :)

:earsboy:

I don't have the dimensions, but I imagine a standard cloth napkin or placemat would be adequate. You need to have something that covers the top, but does not make it impossible for other guests to use it as a trash can (that is, the "tablecloth" can't obstruct the trash opening).

Just get a couple of heavier-duty cloth napkins and be done with it! :)

:earsboy:

Lol. That would be too easy. She did that last trip (using a great gingham red and white cloth napkin they sold in the French gift shop). This year, she wants an 'upgrade'.

She's got dreams of one that draps over the lid (leaving the the garbage completely accessible to any other guests, of course), and has pockets to keep plasticware and napkins (so they don't blow away). Also wants it weighted down on the ends, so no change of the tablecloth blowing away.

I wouldn't be surprised if a small vase of flowers or a potpourri bowl appears. I don't fight it anymore - just go with the flow.

Lol. That would be too easy. She did that last trip (using a great gingham red and white cloth napkin they sold in the French gift shop). This year, she wants an 'upgrade'.

She's got dreams of one that draps over the lid (leaving the the garbage completely accessible to any other guests, of course), and has pockets to keep plasticware and napkins (so they don't blow away). Also wants it weighted down on the ends, so no change of the tablecloth blowing away.

I wouldn't be surprised if a small vase of flowers or a potpourri bowl appears. I don't fight it anymore - just go with the flow.

Thank you for this thread. I get accussed by my DH of being borderline insane when it comes to my vacation planning, especially WDW. I can show him this and let him know it can always be worse. :lmao:

Whatever she comes up with, you MUST take pics for us here. :thumbsup2

2 feet by 2 feet.

Yes, I just made that up, but since you asked a ridiculous question I figured I'd give a ridiculous answer. ;)

Seriously, though, you should consider not doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be politely asked by a CM to remove the tablecloth so that the garbage can isn't blocked (and frankly I'd be kind of annoyed with you if I needed to throw something out and you were literally using a trash can as your own personal table).

:goodvibes

:rotfl2:If she does all that, you must come back with pictures!!! I will be at Epcot Saturday, but I won't have a tape measure with me.

yuuuck...all i can imagine is the stench of garbage, millions of germs crawling around and people interrupting meal time to dump their trash....i'd rather walk with food in hand and be hassled. i'm gagging just thinking about it.

yuuuck...all i can imagine is the stench of garbage, millions of germs crawling around and people interrupting meal time to dump their trash....i'd rather walk with food in hand and be hassled. i'm gagging just thinking about it.

We have made use of garbage can tops several times at F&W, sometimes you cannot walk and eat, if you have food and a drink. I have NEVER smelled the stench of garbage while doing it.

I was thinking the same thing! A garbage can as a table is just a really nasty idea.

OP...are you driving? If so, what about one of those small beach tables that you can wear like a backpack and carry on your back? Although, I have no clue if WDW allows this. If not, I'd just carry the food.

Seriously, though, you should consider not doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be politely asked by a CM to remove the tablecloth so that the garbage can isn't blocked (and frankly I'd be kind of annoyed with you if I needed to throw something out and you were literally using a trash can as your own personal table).
I wouldn't be so sure. Many guests, myself included, have had to resort to using the tops of garbage cans as makeshift tables during the F&W Festival due to the crowds and lack of dining areas. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've yet to encounter a CM that has shooed anyone away. Assuming the garbagecancloth doesn't impede the flow of trash, as the OP as stated it wouldn't, I don't think it would be an issue.

Weighted corners is a fantastic idea! If this works well for y'all, see how much she'd be willing to make and sell them for. :thumbsup2

I wouldn't be so sure. Many guests, myself included, have had to resort to using the tops of garbage cans as makeshift tables during the F&W Festival due to the crowds and lack of dining areas. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've yet to encounter a CM that has shooed anyone away. Assuming the garbagecancloth doesn't impede the flow of trash, as the OP as stated it wouldn't, I don't think it would be an issue.

Weighted corners is a fantastic idea! If this works well for y'all, see how much she'd be willing to make and sell them for. :thumbsup2

Oh yeah, I missed that part in OP's post. :)

This just sounds so gross to me. No way would I put my food that I will be eating on top of a trashcan at Disney. I don't care if there is some sorta napkin inbetween. All the people, all the germs, all the gross stuff are literally centimeters away from my food that I will be putting in my mouth. That is just plain nasty and people wonder why people get sick at Disney. It is because of stuff like this!!

I think if you were going to go to the trouble you do better than the garbage can.

What if you got a plastic tray from a food court or cafeteria, drilled two holes on each side and then ran an adjustable chord through them on each side and around your necks to wear it between you as a portable table. She could still do a table cloth for it to make it look neat.

Thanks for all the comments from those who appreciate the absurdity of this all.

For what it's worth, we've done it in the past and (a) there is NEVER any smell (or bees), (b) it's a frequent practice at F&W, as there simply aren't enough places to place a tray or a drink, (c) no cast member has ever said a thing - we wouldn't do it if it was going to be an issue and (d) we not only don't block the opening to the can - we often actively invite people to use the garbage.

We've actually made a lot of "park pals" doing this, and ended up walking around with them for a bit.

Honestly, if the Cast Members are eager to curb potentially inapporpriate practices, maybe they should start with the hordes of Brazilian tour groupers flopping down on the grassy portions of the World Showcase, making it look like a shanty town. Much more disturbing than a foursome of folks setting a glass of wine down on top of a garbage can so they can hold a plate and eat.

I will definitely post pictures for you all. It'll be good for a laugh, I guarantee it.

And for those concerned, in the future, we will not need Garbage Cans. I have been asked to construct a more elaborate "adult stroller" to assist us in our revelry. It just won't be ready in time for this trip. :)

The top of the garbage can slopes (curves) down near the edges. If you make a cloth "tablecloth" cover you won't be able to see where the top starts to slope and you might put something down near but not at the edge, on the sloped part, and that item tips over or falls off.

Whether there is odor or bees depends on what is in that trash can at the moment. Sweet drink poured or spilled inside the can will attract bees.

This just sounds so gross to me. No way would I put my food that I will be eating on top of a trashcan at Disney. I don't care if there is some sorta napkin inbetween.
You act as if people rub their garbage on top of the garbage can before throwing it away. It's no different from an outdoor picnic table; it's exposed to the elements, which is why people use table cloths.

All the people, all the germs, all the gross stuff are literally centimeters away from my food that I will be putting in my mouth. That is just plain nasty and people wonder why people get sick at Disney. It is because of stuff like this!!
That's not how germs work. Anyway, if you're at a theme park, unless you're constantly using hand sanitizer, your hands will be just as contaminated as most surfaces. Possibly moreso.

Whether its hygenic or not, the fact that its apparently common practice to be relegated to using the tops of trash cans at the Food & Wine makes me never want to go!:scared1:

Last year some of the tables were dirtier than the tops of the trash cans.

Yes, I've used the trash cans. Many do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter