Rider Switch changing (Started June 16th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought earlier in the thread I saw somebody comment that this new policy would require them to bring all the kids to the ride entrance wheras now they could take them somewhere else while the first parent rides. If I misread then I apologize.
You must always present the child to the ride host. Once presented, the waiting party can go do something else. That is the entire point of the Disney RS system. Other parks do it differently, both have advantages and disadvantages. But you absolutely can not get a RS until the ride host sees the kid.

Yes, I understand that. But if everyone in the group doesn't have a FP it allows the group to double up on Tier 1 FPs, which is what most people take issue with. So there is a trade off...either get a FP for everyone in the group to ride a non-height restricted ride OR get a FP for the height restricted ride and "waste" a FP on the too-short child. It can't (shouldn't) work both ways. As a family with kids who are tall enough to ride everything, we make trade offs all the time (FP for Soarin or TT....FOP or NRJ).
Again the only Tier 1s this is even possible with are Soarin' and TT and that will not change with TSL, unless you have an infant. People like to make this problem bigger than it is. I've also seen plenty of same day FPs for Soarin' and TT, so apparently it doesn't cause many problems.

So, post number 500 and we still don't have much concrete, including start date! That said, I've heard it's actually starting this week and not next, and will indeed be like the DAS in terms of returns.
I guess it will be a surprise! We arrive Friday, I will be sure to share what we find

Again the only Tier 1s this is even possible with are Soarin' and TT and that will not change with TSL, unless you have an infant. People like to make this problem bigger than it is. I've also seen plenty of same day FPs for Soarin' and TT, so apparently it doesn't cause many problems.
Also possible on NRJ and FOP....and FEA. So basically all the headliners.

Also possible on NRJ and FOP....and FEA. So basically all the headliners.
To do a RS the ride must have a height limit. NRJ and FEA have no height limit, same with TSMM. So to ride NRJ or FEA, everyone would have to have their own FP and no RS would be given.

The only Tier 1 rides in the same park that have a height limit are TT and Soarin'. When TSL opens Slinky Dog and Aliens will both have a limit, but Aliens is only 32", so you would have to have an infant to get a RS for Aliens.

To do a RS the ride must have a height limit. NRJ and FEA have no height limit, same with TSMM. So to ride NRJ or FEA, everyone would have to have their own FP and no RS would be given.

The only Tier 1 rides in the same park that have a height limit are TT and Soarin'. When TSL opens Slinky Dog and Aliens will both have a limit, but Aliens is only 32", so you would have to have an infant to get a RS for Aliens.
Not true. All of the rides I mentioned offer RS despite not having height limits (per the Disney website and confirmed by plenty of Dis-ers who have received RS for those rides).

You must always present the child to the ride host. Once presented, the waiting party can go do something else. That is the entire point of the Disney RS system. Other parks do it differently, both have advantages and disadvantages. But you absolutely can not get a RS until the ride host sees the kid.
It sounds like the difference is that currently, the waiting adult and child(ren) can wait a ways away from the ride queue entrance. Plenty of times, we’ve waved to the waiting members of our party from across a walkway, etc. We’ve even shown CMs a picture of our whole party (from that day, showing us in the same clothes) in instances when the babies were sleeping somewhere and it wasn’t easy to bring them over to the ride.

If the rumored RS changes occur, everyone in the party will have to actually go up to the queue entrance (where the CMs stand at their computers) and have their MBs scanned.

Aside from the pain of the waiting adult having to get the too-short kid(s) from the ride queue entrance to somewhere they can wait after MBs are scanned (not easy to do alone with more than one kid), I think the new policy will definitely clog up the queue entrances. There usually seems to be a mass of people at 7DMT, BTMRR, etc, as it is. I can only imagine it’ll be a disaster when they add in a bunch of extra strollers (and small kids trying to walk, etc) right at the entrances.

It sounds like the difference is that currently, the waiting adult and child(ren) can wait a ways away from the ride queue entrance. Plenty of times, we’ve waved to the waiting members of our party from across a walkway, etc. We’ve even shown CMs a picture of our whole party (from that day, showing us in the same clothes) in instances when the babies were sleeping somewhere and it wasn’t easy to bring them over to the ride.

If the rumored RS changes occur, everyone in the party will have to actually go up to the queue entrance (where the CMs stand at their computers) and have their MBs scanned.

Aside from the pain of the waiting adult having to get the too-short kid(s) from the ride queue entrance to somewhere they can wait after MBs are scanned (not easy to do alone with more than one kid), I think the new policy will definitely clog up the queue entrances. There usually seems to be a mass of people at 7DMT, BTMRR, etc, as it is. I can only imagine it’ll be a disaster when they add in a bunch of extra strollers (and small kids trying to walk, etc) right at the entrances.

yeah, I hope they have a plan for scanning all the MB efficiently

I suppose theoretically you could just bring the Magic Bands of the people in the switching party vs them actually having to come all the way up to the CM at the queue entrance .... guess we shall see

Not true. All of the rides I mentioned offer RS despite not having height limits (per the Disney website and confirmed by plenty of Dis-ers who have received RS for those rides).
The only time I've heard of anyone getting one for those rides is for a sleeping kid or some medical issue. They won't give you one for the kid being short. Regardless even if they did it would require the parents to ride separate and would require the kid to not ride at all. I seriously doubt many families bringing their kids to WDW would purposely not let their kid do TSMM or FEA so they could get an extra FP.

On those rides it's also highly dependant on the CM as well, even for sleeping babies. Definitely not something I would ever plan on.

Does anyone have any recent firsthand experience yet? I know that the change hasnt been implemented yet but im wondering if people have had any new experiences when doing rider swap with CMs in light of the new training

Are there really going to be huge crowds of people clogging up the FP entrances because of this RS change?

It doesn't seem that hard to me. Everyone scans in their FP, CM sees small kid, puts a FP on the right bands, done.

The only time I've heard of anyone getting one for those rides is for a sleeping kid or some medical issue. They won't give you one for the kid being short. Regardless even if they did it would require the parents to ride separate and would require the kid to not ride at all. I seriously doubt many families bringing their kids to WDW would purposely not let their kid do TSMM or FEA so they could get an extra FP.
I think you are misunderstanding how this works. It's very easy to double up on the FPs, and no kid (who is tall enough) misses out on riding. Here's an example with a family of 4 using. Let's say Kid 1 is over 44 inches, Kid 2 is not.

Mom and Kid 1 have FP for FOP, Dad and Kid 2 have FP for NRJ
Mom and Kid 1 ride FOP, get RS
Dad and Kid 2 ride NRJ, get RS
Mom and Kid 1 ride NRJ using the RS
Dad and Kid 1 ride FOP using the RS

The entire family has now ridden NRJ in the FP line, and Mom, Dad, and Kid 1 have all ridden FOP in the FP line (kid 2 isn't tall enough to ride, so kid 1 got to ride twice). So basically the family was able to obtain FPs for both Tier 1 rides.

I think you are misunderstanding how this works. It's very easy to double up on the FPs, and no kid (who is tall enough) misses out on riding. Here's an example with a family of 4 using. Let's say Kid 1 is over 44 inches, Kid 2 is not.

The entire family has now ridden NRJ in the FP line, and Mom, Dad, and Kid 1 have all ridden FOP in the FP line (kid 2 isn't tall enough to ride, so kid 1 got to ride twice). So basically the family was able to obtain FPs for both Tier 1 rides.

That's true, but a) that is supposed to go away with the change which would now require all parties that want the RS to have a FP for that ride and b) typically you wouldn't get a RS for a ride that doesn't have a height restriction (e.g., NRJ) - not saying it doesn't happen but isn't standard

How are they getting the RS for NRJ, though, if everybody is riding that? Lying/abusing the system?

You clearly don't have experience with it, because they would never give a RS on NRJ for a kid over 44 or any other awake, healthy child. Even if you did get a RS for it using an infant, they more than likely wouldn't let you then take that infant back on with the pass.

I've seen far more posts about not getting RS for sleeping/afraid kids, than actually getting them. Not something you'd ever plan on getting.

I've used the RS system a lot, have you ever?

Last edited:
How are they getting the RS for NRJ, though, if everybody is riding that? Lying/abusing the system?
When reality doesn't justify your outrage/bitterness, make something up then attack that fantasy. No way they will give you an RS on NRJ for a 44" kid.

If this is happening it is on the CM for allowing this lunacy.

1- they do not give RS for NRJ except in very specific cases that the CM allows it. There is no height limit and it is not scary.

2 - the CM should not be giving a RS to Dad at all for NRJ because he cannot even produce any child who would be too short or too scared or sleeping, as Mom and taller child are currently on another ride.

3- the CM should not have given Mom the RS for Dad for FoP because he did not have a FP. This is the rule, although apparent it has been rarely enforced. At DL where we have had digital RS for maybe a year, this is always enforced. At least in our experience.

So no, even with the current system, the way you described should not actually ever be happening. If it is, I put the blame on the CM’s for allowing that to happen. With the new system no chance that will happen.

And shame on the family who would do this because they are very clearly knowingly abusing the system.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter