Rhine River Cruise Meets Thread

@tiger04
Hopefully they will allow everyone on board at least 1 dinner at the Captain's Table (as opposed to the same people signing up multiple times).
On the Danube river cruises, you were only allowed one dinner at the Chef's table. But it was included in your cruisefare. Everyone got a chance, but if you had a specific date you wanted, you needed to sign up earlier rather than later.

Sayhello

I'm very surprised that there was a limit in the number of people on certain excursions as choose whatever you want and flexibility to change your mind were big selling points.

Yes I was very surprised too! I was under the assumption that a benefit from doing the ABD river cruise, as opposed to a regular river cruise, was that everyone who wanted to do an excursion would be able to and that we would be able to change our minds. Yet I was told that they did not have that flexibility.

Quick questions about the restaurants:
1) You mentioned Dinner was formal. How formal?
2) The chef's table: Do they mix smaller parties on the table of 8? I actually don't mind being mixed in, and would like to experience the chef's table but am either a party of 1 or 2 on this cruise.

Dinner in the main restaurant was more "formal" to me based on the fact they served a four course meal, rather than that everyone got dressed up. Now I brought dresses every night and changed for dinner, and I was actually surprised at how many people got changed for dinner, but there were certainly many people who wore the same clothes they wore on the excursions. So you certainly did not have to change for dinner. Ama suggests "casual" attire for breakfast/lunch and "smart casual" for dinner so it really depends how you interrupt that, but I would argue that you do not need to get dressed up at all unless you want to.

For the Chef's Table, I think if everyone on the ship wanted to eat there, then they would put different parties together on the table for 8. The table for 8 is in the center of the room while the tables of 4 are along the windows. You get great views from all the tables but you are closer to the windows in the small tables. I was in a group for 7 so we made our reservation for the Chef's Table right away because we wanted to make sure we could get the large table and not be split up. You should definitely take advantage of the Chef's Table and since you will be with at least one other party anyway, I would just request being put at a 4-top or 8-top when you make your reservation.

Questions: how many people did the post-cruise extension?
Was there a/c on the motor coaches? I read a review that said the ABD coaches were not as nice as some of the other cruise companies and at one point one of them had no a/c (it was broken).

I think almost 50 people did the post-cruise extension, which greatly surprised me because I thought it was so expensive! Now a good portion of those people were the DVC/ABD execs and the film crew, but there were still a great many DVC members who did the extra night. Friends from our traveling party joined the post-cruise extension and they loved it because they got to spend more time in the Netherlands and I saw some fabulous pictures of them with the windmills. They also ate in a guildhall (I think) for the farewell dinner, which looked really cool. Veronika, Betti, and Byron were the ABD guides who led the extension and I am not sure how they will do it on future cruise.

So the coaches - ABD contracted with its own coaches and drivers for the Switzerland, France, Germany portions of the cruise. There were three main coaches that followed us up the Rhine and then we got three new ones once we were in the Netherlands. I was lucky in that the majority of the coaches we utilized for our excursions had a/c. However, one of the coaches did have broken a/c and it was a rough back from one of the excursions for all the people on that bus. The next day I was actually on that bus for an afternoon excursions and it was toasty! Fortunately we just had a 15 minute ride so we dealt with it, but for those hour or longer bus rides it would have been tough. Because ABD contracts the excursions and buses, I did not see the insides of any of the usual Ama Waterway buses so I have no idea how much nicer they were inside than ours. I was happy with the coach situation - other than the brief a/c issue that I hope would be resolved better for you summer travelers - but this is my first ABD so I do not know how the coaches normally work!

On the Danube river cruises, you were only allowed one dinner at the Chef's table. But it was included in your cruisefare. Everyone got a chance, but if you had a specific date you wanted, you needed to sign up earlier rather than later.

@*WDW*Groupie* - @sayhello had the same experience we did! The Chef's Table is available for everyone on the ship to eat there once and yes, if you have a specific date in mind (or were trying to avoid interrupting the evening tours like we did) then I would recommend making reservations as soon as you have an idea what date you want. Because our ABD group was about 30 people smaller than a sold out tour, there were usually spots open for each Chef's Table and they kept reminding people about it so I don't know if that's normal or they were trying to encourage people to go.

I will say that I was more impressed by AMA Waterways than I was by the ABD guides, even though I thought the guides were great. We just had such a high level of service with the AMA Kristina staff that even the wonderful job by the ABD guides paled a bit in comparison.

I loved reading your report and it's great to hear that about the Amawaterways staff!

Well, we took the plunge and booked the Rhine cruise for July 30, 2018. It will be me and my daughter (12 by then). Hoping to do the Barcelona to Dover repo cruise on DCL first and then fly to Basel for the Rhine cruise. In theory, this would work.

We have booked the July 30, 2018 Rhine cruise as well! Me, DH, DS (16 at time of cruise), and DD (13 at time of cruise). Hoping that there will be quite a few teens on this cruise, as I am still working on convincing my son that he will have fun even though this is quite a different vacation from a Caribbean cruise! The excursions look like so much fun, and it fulfills my goal of taking him to Europe before he graduates from high school :) I promised him that he will not be spending the week looking at churches and museums. We are planning to go to London for a few days after the cruise to make this into a 2 week vacation.

Thanks for sharing this! I think it's interesting they are just christening the ship now even though it's been used for trips for the past month!

I thought that was odd also! I guess it's been a sneak peek so far. :)

We will be on the July 1,2017 sailing! It's. "Girls trip" - my mother, daughter (will be almost 15 years old) and me!! We are very excited!

We are on a Danube ABD cruise this summer, so hope to learn a lot about river cruising. This will be our 4th ABD and my moms first. Looking forward to meeting you all!!
We are also on the July 1st sailing. Our daughter Sara is almost 15..finishing 9th grade. We are traveling with another couple and their 15 year old daughter. Any interest in doing a fish extender?
We have been on ABD Italy, Grand Canyon, and Alaska

We will be on the July 1st cruise...My husband, myself and our almost 15 year old daughter Sara. She is finishing 9th grade.
We are traveling with another couple who also have a 15 year old daughter. Let me know if you are interested in doing a fish extender!.
We have traveled with ABD to Italy, Grand Canyon, and Alaska. This is our first river cruise.

We have booked the July 30, 2018 Rhine cruise as well! Me, DH, DS (16 at time of cruise), and DD (13 at time of cruise). Hoping that there will be quite a few teens on this cruise, as I am still working on convincing my son that he will have fun even though this is quite a different vacation from a Caribbean cruise! The excursions look like so much fun, and it fulfills my goal of taking him to Europe before he graduates from high school :) I promised him that he will not be spending the week looking at churches and museums. We are planning to go to London for a few days after the cruise to make this into a 2 week vacation.

Glad to hear there will be another girl close to my daughter's age! Yay! The excursions were what sold me on this one vs. the Danube. These just sound more kid-friendly. We can only take so many churches and museums, too.

Yes I was very surprised too! I was under the assumption that a benefit from doing the ABD river cruise, as opposed to a regular river cruise, was that everyone who wanted to do an excursion would be able to and that we would be able to change our minds. Yet I was told that they did not have that flexibility.

@*WDW*Groupie* - @sayhello had the same experience we did! The Chef's Table is available for everyone on the ship to eat there once and yes, if you have a specific date in mind (or were trying to avoid interrupting the evening tours like we did) then I would recommend making reservations as soon as you have an idea what date you want. Because our ABD group was about 30 people smaller than a sold out tour, there were usually spots open for each Chef's Table and they kept reminding people about it so I don't know if that's normal or they were trying to encourage people to go.

Can you tell me what excursions you did in Amsterdam? In the morning we will do Anne Frank Huis. It's the afternoon that's got me puzzled. I can't decide between the Delft factory (with painting) or the Dutch countryside (with clog painting). Both sound amazing to me.

Do you have any recommendations? What was the feedback on them?

Can you tell us which excursions are filling up? I already tried calling and they don't know. It never occurred to me, based on Danube River Reviews and previous ABD's, that there would be limits on the number of people who can do a particular excursion. We would be so disappointed not to see Anne Frank House, windmills, etc. I can't imagine them telling someone who wanted to see Riqhuewihr and Alsace that they must go on the ziplining instead, or wanting to see windmills and Anne Frank house and being told I could only see a mueseum. For our family, we picked this because we have some very specific things we are wanting to see, and for the premium it would be lovely to see them.

Can you tell us which excursions are filling up? I already tried calling and they don't know. It never occurred to me, based on Danube River Reviews and previous ABD's, that there would be limits on the number of people who can do a particular excursion. We would be so disappointed not to see Anne Frank House, windmills, etc. I can't imagine them telling someone who wanted to see Riqhuewihr and Alsace that they must go on the ziplining instead, or wanting to see windmills and Anne Frank house and being told I could only see a mueseum. For our family, we picked this because we have some very specific things we are wanting to see, and for the premium it would be lovely to see them.
I'm hoping it's because it was a special cruise, and off-season, and not because they are running the Rhine cruises differently than the Danube cruises (or that they've changed procedures altogether). If there's a chance of not getting an excursion you want, then they should let you know well ahead of time so that you could make your own arrangements. Or choose not to do the cruise...

Sayhello

We received our packet and it indicates that some excursions have limited availability and are on a first come first. It does not specify which ones, and all they could tell me on the phone is the guides would have that information. I find this frustrating, and as Sayhello pointed out there is no way to make alternative plans with such vague information.

We received our packet and it indicates that some excursions have limited availability and are on a first come first. It does not specify which ones, and all they could tell me on the phone is the guides would have that information. I find this frustrating, and as Sayhello pointed out there is no way to make alternative plans with such vague information.

When is your sailing momof3greatkids? We are booked on the July 15th sailing. I have to say that I am completely disappointed about this first come first served system. My family chooses to spend the extra money with ABD because of the service and experiences. I just cannot wrap my head around this new development of racing to the ship to make sure my family gets the experience that Disney advertised to us. All passengers should be afforded equal consideration... not those who get there first. I cannot believe that this is how ABD is doing things now. I'm seriously hoping that this changes.

When is your sailing momof3greatkids? We are booked on the July 15th sailing. I have to say that I am completely disappointed about this first come first served system. My family chooses to spend the extra money with ABD because of the service and experiences. I just cannot wrap my head around this new development of racing to the ship to make sure my family gets the experience that Disney advertised to us. All passengers should be afforded equal consideration... not those who get there first. I cannot believe that this is how ABD is doing things now. I'm seriously hoping that this changes.
I have to agree with you. One of the reasons to do ABD for these River cruises was the excursions, and the choices, and the fact that you didn't have to decide ahead of time which excursions you wanted because everyone would be accommodated. Not having to worry about signing up for excursions was one of the reasons I did the ABD add-on to the Med cruise. If they can't guarantee you can do the activities you want to, then what's the point? If this is the new policy, I'm doubly glad I did my river cruise last summer. That's just plain ridiculous!

Sayhello

Iola1972, we are sailing July 1st. I must agree that the idea of first come first serve is ridiculous on an ABD! We all pay a premium price, and they should be able to deliver the activities to all clients. They certainly don't advertise this premise on the website. This is especially grievous since you can't make any alternate plans. For example, Anne Frank house tickets should be booked way in advance, and if you don't know wether Disney will take you until you are on the cruise, you can do nothing but miss it. Another issue I have noted is that several activities have disappeared since we first signed up. Both a fondue tasting (now a Swiss Cheese tasting) and a tour of Speyer have are no longer available. Disney does say they have the right to change activities, but disappointing none the less.

Sounds like "bait and switch" to me. I know on our Tauck trip there was usually two or three busses and you just received your boarding card and boarded the bus that went to your chosen excursion. Some busses were full and others lightly populated depending upon the interest. Crazy that you will have to fight like a cage match just to get the excursion you wish. Another change for the worse IMO.

Sounds like "bait and switch" to me. I know on our Tauck trip there was usually two or three busses and you just received your boarding card and boarded the bus that went to your chosen excursion. Some busses were full and others lightly populated depending upon the interest. Crazy that you will have to fight like a cage match just to get the excursion you wish. Another change for the worse IMO.
That's how it worked on the ABD Danube cruise last summer. Get your color card, go to that bus based on the excursion you wanted. I agree, definitely a bad move.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter