Reviews from 9-18 through 9 - 21

Rowlf

Mouseketeer
I spent a lot of time planning our meals since it was DH's first trip and I wanted him to be impressed! On the trip was me, DH, and our 14-month-old DS. Here goes:

9/18 - Saturday

We arrived around 1, headed to Epcot and went straight to Akershus. I've always loved it and DH was impressed as well. Unfortunately, DH was, um, not well all night that night. The only thing we ate differently was that DH had some of the herring sauces. Well, that and the margarita, glass of wine, and three beers. I think it was a combination of things! DS and I had to head out Sunday morning by ourselves - DH met us around lunch time.

Later Saturday evening we split an order of Fish & Chips from Harry Ramandan's and then had snacks at the concierge lounge.

9/19 - Sunday

Breakfast in the concierge lounge, then lunch at Flame Tree Barbeque at the AK. DH had the half chicken and I had the chicken breast lunch. It was quite good for the money, although not the best food ever. The barbeque sauce was pretty tasty, though. And they had stellar onion rings!

Dinner at Victoria & Albert's. (DS was with a KNO babysitter) DH and I agreed that this was probably the best dinner we've ever had. (And we've eaten at a lot of places all around the world.) The service was wonderful, the food was delicious and artfully presented, and the wine pairings were yummy. Quite expensive, but if any meal was worth that much money, this one was!

9/20 - Monday

Breakfast in the concierge lounge. Lunch at Columbia Harbor house - DH had the tuna sandwich and I had the hummous sandwich. They were both surprisingly good - and we really liked the fresh tasting chips (someone else said they didn't like them - they are VERY crunchy, but we liked them a lot).

Dinner at Ohana. Yum, yum, yum. The waitress gave me more shrimp than I could possibly eat! The salads/appetizers were all delicious and I thought the steak was outstanding. The only problem was that they didn't manage the rush to the windows to see fireworks. The table next to us got crowded in from people from the back and the two groups got quite testy at each other. Not good.

Late night sweets at the concierge lounge!

9/21 - Tuesday

Breakfast in the concierge lounge. Lunch at the Brown Derby. Yum, again! I had the Filet Cobb. I'm drooling thinking about it now. DH had the halibut - he liked it, but was eyeing mine the whole time. Portions were small, but we like it that way. Then we don't eat too much! DS had the grilled chicked breast - it came with green beans and baked potato slices. He liked it!

We had amazing meals, with only one complaint - the kids choices were sorely lacking in most places. At the Flame Tree, I had to give him hot dogs, which I try to never do. At Columbia Harbor house, they only had macaroni and cheese and bologna and cheese on white bread. DS is allergic to pasta and I try to not give him white bread. Sigh... Kids do eat wheat bread, veggie burgers, and other yummy healthy things! I'd really prefer to see a kids-meal-priced healthier option at most restaurants.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reviews. ITA about the kids menu. Once we paid about $4 for a PBJ crustable that is yucky and you can buy for about $.50 anyway. We did not know they would serve this at a sandwich shop - never again. We usually just let the kids share off of our plate now.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed your reviews. Where did you stay and how were the food offerings??

Thanks - we were at the Poly. We only ate at Ohana there, since, if we were at the resort, we were taking advantage of the concierge lounge food. I'm thinking that might be reason to NOT stay concierge - to be able to have the famous Tonga Toast!

Thanks for the reviews! I agree with you about the kids choices...DS is a pretty adventerous eater and I hate to limit it. We let him share off of our plates as well:)

Thanks for the great reviews. We ate at V&A a few years ago for our 10th anniversary and just loved it. I would have to say it was the best meal we had ever had also. We are going to be eating at O'Hanas for the first time in December, so glad to hear of how much you liked it.

What did you eat at V & A's?? I'm planning on going in the future and can't wait! princess:

I just pulled the V&A's menu out - here's what I had:

Heirloom Tomato Carpaccio with Tomato Water and Black Lava Hawaiian Sea Salt

Roasted Quail with Mustard Spatzle and Violet Mustard Broth

Yukon Gold Potato and Elephant Garlic Cream Soup

Jamison Lamb with Porcini Pappardelle Noodles and Truffle Jus

Colston Basset Stilton "Cheesecake" with Fig Compote

Pyramid of Tanzani Chocolate Mousse

YUM!

Thanks for the reviews and I too agree with you on the kids choices.

I'd like to see more restaurants offer:

grilled chicken breasts
kids size steak
baby carrots and dip
applesauce
yogurts

We did well at R&C, Le Cellier, Teppanyaki, RFC because we could order grilled chix not chix nuggets. Sometimes we bring in our own fruit cups or yogurts when we are at WDW but we always order a meal off the menu for each child.

Thanks for the reviews!

It does seem like all the kids meal choices are 'junk'

That dinner at V&A sounds heavenly... yum

Those are all good suggestions, vicb! At the very least, they could offer a tofu dog option instead of hot dogs. I'd feel better about that.

Thanks for your reviews. I agree with you about the kids menu. Most of the time, DS will share our food we order off the adult menu. I also found that at sit down restaurants they will substitute veggies for the fries that seem so prevalent.

I also think you have made a good point on child menu's.Being two adults on most of our trips I never gave it much thought until you mentioned it.::yes:: :wave2:

Great review, someday I want to try V&A too!!
You made a great point about kids meals, DD loves Jiko's
they even have healthy kids appitizers that you can order
like carrot sticks and penut butter.
Jiko's is one of her favorite places
Wintermom:Pinkbounc

ITA about the kids menu also. We used to wind up ordering an app or something off the regular menu for DS- He's grown now, eats more than I do.
BTW - I did notice that the kids selections has gotten worse instead of better over the years - Uncrustables are an example.....(I notice this because I am a PB&J person, sometimes that's all I want, but wouldn't touch an Uncrustable if you paid me!)

It'd be nice if they had healthier & tastier selections for kids - Just because they are little doesn't mean they have no taste.

Your meal at V & A's sounds amazing. I can't wait to go one day! (no time this trip..I'll be there on Wednesday!!..too many places to eat lol)

Even though I'm only 24 and don't have any kids of my own I agree about the kids menus. When I was a kid my parents used to have to order for me off the adult menu most of the time, I didn't want chicken fingers or pb&j, I wanted steak or grilled chicken. I bet a lot of kids would order the healthier stuff if it was there. Not all kids are picky! :wave:

BTW..anyone else gonna be down there when I am? We'll be there 9/29-10/5, it's about my 15th or 16th trip but I still can't wait! And it's the first time I'm getting an AP, guess I'll have to plan lots more trips for this year! princess:

I'm jealous, NYPOOH...

I never thought I'd be the one with an allergic kid, but he's allergic to eggs and pasta (durum wheat, to be specific). And because he already has allergies, I'm trying to keep him away from shellfish and peanuts until he's at least three. SO, if the two choices were macaroni and cheese and PB&J, we were out of luck!

Jiko sounds yummy - I think we'll be staying at AKL next time. We drove by it and it looked very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter