Retiring teacher........now what?

jstbcuz

DIS Veteran
My MIL has taught 1st grade for 30 years and is retiring. She has tons of books, supplies, etc that she no longer needs. What is the best way to get rid of her excess stuff and still make a some money on it? The amount of money she has spent herself on books is outlandish and we would like to be able to recoup some of it.

We have thought about garage sales, but not sure that will give her more than a quarter or so a book. Thought about ebay, but of course they have their fees. Is there anywhere else you can think of that maybe we havent come across???

Any input is appreciated.

When my mom retired, she gave a bunch of her classroom supplies to a friend's daughter who was just starting her first year of teaching. It was win/win - my mom wasn't burdened with supplies she no longer needed (and had gotten her money's worth out of years ago) and the new teacher received some great things to start her classroom without breaking her almost non-exsistant budget.

If your MIL is really hellbent on getting some cash, I'd recommend Craig's List and try to sell to newer teachers. Also ask around about new hires in the district or in the area to see if they're in the market for materials - word should travel fast.

When my mom retired, she gave a bunch of her classroom supplies to a friend's daughter who was just starting her first year of teaching. It was win/win - my mom wasn't burdened with supplies she no longer needed (and had gotten her money's worth out of years ago) and the new teacher received some great things to start her classroom without breaking her almost non-exsistant budget.

This is a great idea.

Would she consider contacting the local homeschooling group? The local library would know how to contact them. There are always homeschoolers looking for educational materials :).

On another thread a while back, someone posted these two websites where you can sell books:

http://www.cash4books.net/
http://www.powells.com/

I tried some of my books on there but they didn't want any of mine, maybe you'll have better luck. I can't attest to the websites, but the poster who posted them said that she had used them with success.

A neighbor of mine was a retired teacher and had a garage sale with tons of her stuff. She priced it at what she wanted for it. Some sold and some didn't. I would at least start with that and see if you can advertise directly to some of the local schools. If you have a local college with an education program that would be an excellent place to advertise as the new teachers would love a good deal on the things they will need.

Beyond that try Craigslist and definitely local homeschool groups. You may be able to find one that has a "for sale" email group that you can list on, and often there will be a used book sale opportunity at a meeting or convention. Where I am we have an entire Homeschool book store that buys materials and resells them. Payment isn't great but it is better than nothing.

When I was a brand new teacher after having just graduated college several very experienced teachers started me out with great donations of books, classroom decorations, teacher idea books, storage bins, and supplies. At the end of my first year another teacher retired with 35 years in the classroom and she gave first dibs to all the brand new teachers, I was soooo thankful, got more great books, decorations etc... She was happy to pass it along and help supply a new generation of teachers.

Years past and then I had my DD and became a SAHM, I knew I wouldn't be back in the classroom for a while so I opened my classroom to all the teachers to take their pick. I did keep a selection of books to bring home with me for my soon to be DD's library and also kept a collection of teacher idea books I thought I might use. But the rest of the decorations, storage bins, flexible mailboxes, teacher idea books, picture and chapter books were passed on to help supply other teacher's classrooms. They were all so grateful and I was happy to be rid of the stuff and help other new teachers out. Its expensive to be a teacher!!!

Here where I live they have a teachers store, they can sell or trade things, the public can also buy. Home school groups are a good source.

Possibily a private school might want to purchase items, my DD went to a private christian school. It might be better to donate and get a receipt for a tax deduction later on.

I would recommend craigslist if she doesn't have teachers to donate/sell to. She could do a garage sale & advertise teacher stuff. I went to one recently specifically because the woman advertised teacher supplies. She had books priced .50 or $1.00 for Scholastic kid books and teacher manual type books for $1-5.

I have also seen supplies for sale on CL - X price for a bag of borders, etc.

When my MIL retired, she gave me and a few other teachers most of her stuff, which was great. Teaching materials are so expensive!

A K teacher here that spends AT LEAST $200 a month on supplies...

I am a little more than half way to retirement and plan offer my things to any teacher in my gradelevel when it is my turn to leave. It just seems the right thing to do. I believe in paying it forward. ( NO I did not get donations when I started. I even provided my blinds, desk, reading table and chairs, you name it my first year!) I just think I'd like to help someone who puts forth so much to help others.

I am a former teacher. I became a SAHM in 1999 and in 2003 started a home business. I knew I wouldn't be returning to the classroom due to a medical issue so I sold all my stuff on eBay and did pretty well. For bulletin boards I listed them separately unless it was something that might be low demand and then I grouped like items and sold in a lot. For books I had several class sets of novels and I would sell them as a set. For general reading books I would group together like books or grade level books and sell in a lot. You can ship books via media mail so the shipping prices aren't too bad. For teacher resource books I generally sold them individually. It does take some work to list it all and ship it. Then of course you have the fees they take. I didn't make a profit by any means but I got some money back that I had invested.

She should send out invites to all the teachers at her school, all the teachers she's worked with who are still working, and copies to be placed in the teacher's lounges in schools in her district.

Most of my coworkers who did this had the sales in their classrooms so they didn't even have to haul stuff home!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter