Retired military discounts?

Cmbar

DIS Veteran
Hi All!! RCL and Carnival allow my Dad, who has a DD214 to show his military service back in the sixties, to get a discount on their cruises. Does Disney allow this as proof for them to get a military discount on DCL? I can't find the details on this.

To be clear he served and was honorably released but didn't retire from the military. He is however a 25 year police veteran but I don't think Disney gives any benefit to police or fire right?

Thanks for any help!!

Important Details

Special Military rates are available to all retired and active U.S. Military personnel (or spouse), including U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. National Guard, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Department of Defense personnel. Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in. This offer is limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. Military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer. Activated members (or spouse) of the U.S. National Guard or the U.S. Army Reserve must also show active duty orders (active duty papers must be dated as of January 1st of the previous year to qualify).

Government taxes will vary by itinerary and are in addition to the below rates. Third and fourth Guest prices valid with 2 full-fare Guests in the same stateroom. Rates may vary by sail date and category. Other restrictions may apply. Other categories and sail dates may be available. Valid for new bookings only.

Rates are per person based on double occupancy in the categories noted. Availability is limited to 50 staterooms per category per sailing. Rates are in U.S. dollars and are not combinable with other discounts or offers. Prices exclude government taxes and fees, gratuities, and Port Adventures.

• Availability for this offer is limited to 50 staterooms per category per sailing.
  • This offer is limited to a maximum of one stateroom per military member (or spouse), per sailing. A U.S. military service member (or spouse) is required to sail to take advantage of this offer.
  • This offer cannot be combined with any other special offers or discounts.
  • Valid for new bookings only.
  • Offer subject to Disney Cruise Line Terms and Conditions.
  • Active and retired members (or spouse) of the U.S. military must provide valid identification at time of check-in.
  • To take advantage of military cruise rates, at least one adult in each stateroom must provide Proof of Military Service.

Disney military discounts, when offered, are for members of the military. If your father is retired status, then of course he is still a member of the military. On the other hand if he separated (or resigned), then he is no longer a member. Simple as that.

Not so simple as the DOD seems to be included. Which since I live in the middle of the " agency" world is ridiculous. It's not like people at the agencies around here get paid a low salary. Ever try to buy a house around DC? Lol. I get military people but including the agencies while excluding those who served their country in war time seems disingenuous.

Oh well. I'll put them on another line. Thanks for the help!!

The Disney Armed Forces Military Salute discount for access to WDW is a HUGE cost saver as I have used it a number of times. The "Special Military Rates" on DCL are not as good a deal. As stated above, they are offered on limited sailings which seem to be cruises that aren't selling as fast as Disney would like. Details here: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-rates/ Thanks to your dad for his service.

The Disney Armed Forces Military Salute discount for access to WDW is a HUGE cost saver as I have used it a number of times. The "Special Military Rates" on DCL are not as good a deal. As stated above, they are offered on limited sailings which seem to be cruises that aren't selling as fast as Disney would like. Details here: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-rates/ Thanks to your dad for his service.

Thank you!! The sailing we want to put them On does have a military rate. I was just unsure if his DD214 which shows he's retired from service was enough of proof of service and was looking for anyone who has used that form to prove military service.

Thank you!! The sailing we want to put them On does have a military rate. I was just unsure if his DD214 which shows he's retired from service was enough of proof of service and was looking for anyone who has used that form to prove military service.

Does he have a military ID? All retirees do. If so, he will get the discount. Must show Military ID at check-in. DD214 is the form everyone gets when separating, but retirees will have a photo ID.

Thank you!! I'll ask him!! My understanding of the form was different because he served in wartime. So a dd214 is enough on the other cruise lines!! But Disney doesn't clarify that on their website. That's why I always turn to disboards to see if someone has experienced that!! Thanks for trying to help!!

I agree with mdrob214. In your original post, you stated your dad served but didn't retire so he is a veteran but not a retiree. Looking at DCL's rules, it looks like they accept only active duty or retirees. I don't think your dad qualifies for Disney's program.

As a travel agent AND a daughter of a retired military father, I can confirm that you HAVE to have the ID. If he has, like a PP said, a current military ID with his picture, etc., then he is officially retired and would be eligible for the sailings with an MTO. My mother, who also has an ID, is also eligible, but she's just a spouse. Hope this helps.

Yes thank you!! Since your father is retired military he's able for all the discounts on all the lines right? I'm being told my veteran father is eligible on RCL and Carnival ( not that I would put them on a carnival one!) are ok with just the Dd214. Thanks for any input.

My brother in law is 100% disabled because he got blown up in Afghanistan...he did not get "retirement" status. He had a military ID for 2 years after his honorable discharge. It is now expired and only qualifies for discounts offered through the VA which is a darn shame considering he practically gave his whole life up to serve. He is missing limbs, has severe hearing loss, major PTSD and probably wishes he was dead. But my partner works for the DoD and we qualified to sail on a discount. While it is nice to get the discount (because we would likely be making 2-3x what the DoD pays if he were working private or for a DoD contractor), I feel that all service members should qualify for atleast one cruise post service. Lets face it, unless you are O1+, you probably could not afford to take your family on a Disney Cruise while AD anyways...give them a chance DCL!!!

If your dad is like my husband, then he does not get the military cruise discount. My husband was drafted for the vietnam war in 1970. Spent a few years and got an honorable discharge. Has a dd214. Disneys miltary discount is only for active military and retired military. However, some of the other cruise lines accept ALL veterans under their military discount, but not Disney.

Yes thank you!! Since your father is retired military he's able for all the discounts on all the lines right? I'm being told my veteran father is eligible on RCL and Carnival ( not that I would put them on a carnival one!) are ok with just the Dd214. Thanks for any input.

Honestly we have only sailed Disney, so I don't know about other lines, sorry! An easy way to know if he's eligible is if he can still visit military bases. If he can't, then he's not. My parents still frequent bases quite often.

Thank you!! I'll ask him!! My understanding of the form was different because he served in wartime. So a dd214 is enough on the other cruise lines!! But Disney doesn't clarify that on their website. That's why I always turn to disboards to see if someone has experienced that!! Thanks for trying to help!!
A DD214 is a record of service, given to those who have served in the military. For those still in the military (active or retired), there is a separate identification (commonly known as an ID card, or for recent active status, CAC). If he has one of those, he's in the military still and good to go!

I have a DD214 and since I am not "retired" I cannot get a discount on Disney but Carnival, Princess, RCCL etc are happy to help!

the DD214 documents the release from military service

if one retires they get a DD214 and the block that records 'type of separation' says RETIRED (block 23 on mine)

there are many other terms that can be placed in this block ......

when a cruise line offers a discount for RETIRED

this is not the same as an offer to 'veteran'

serve for 'any amount of time' and you are a vet ......

somewhat higher bar to be 'retired' .....

Captain BJ my bar was set to retire however, the draw in 1992 put an end to that. 13 1/2 years and the president decided my services were no longer needed. Half of my career was enlisted and half was as an officer so I wasn't a slacker - it was life at the time. So yes "only" a vet but I worked hard while I was in and take advantage of discounts for veterans if they come about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter