• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Retin A - Dr. just prescribed - does ins. cover?

lisaross

DIS Veteran
Hi,

just wanted to get some feedback - Dr. gave me samples of Retin-A 0.04% gel to use - i've heard so much good and yet see so many bad reviews.

I also heard its expensive - i have to go see if my coverage pays for it b4 i start using the samples.

I have been seeing my dermatologist for a horrible acne breakout - went 2 weeks ago and am taking Doryx 1x a day and skin is calming down (just one side of my jawline is getting acne) anyway went back today and she told me to start on the retin A it should help with the scarring.

Any feedback welcome

Some insurance plans will cover it if it is being used to treat severe scarring, but others will disallow anything that can be classed as cosmetic in any way. Just read your fine print before you submit the scrip.

Be aware that not everyone can tolerate retin-A; I cannot so much as touch the stuff with my fingers. If I touch it my fingertips turn chalk white and blister, and it feels like a serious burn for days. (I can't begin to imagine how much it would hurt to put it on the delicate skin of my face if it will do that to my fingers.)

Some insurances cover some things while others done and vice versa. No one here will be able to tell you the answer to that question. You'll have to call YOUR insurance company to find out.

Insurance providers and policies vary so much in what they will and will not cover, so the only answer to your question is to call your provider and ask. It should only take a few minutes.

I will say that a good portion of insurance policies probably do cover a portion of it. Is there a generic available? That would be something to ask your doctor, also.

If you have good pharmacists at your pharmacy they can help too. Mine will run a new prescription thru the system to find out the cost before they fill it if I ask. They will also suggest alternatives/generics and if needed call my dr office for approval.

If it were me I'd probably try the samples first, see if you even want to use it, then check with insurance or your pharmacy.

Anyone actually use it on there face?

I also get horrible break-outs. My face is so delicate I can't use anything on it. Everything breaks it out. I use bar soap and I break out. I use liquid soap and I break out. Anything and everything causes me to break out.

Heck I was so excited about the new Simple products that I ran out and bought some and right now my face is covered in scabbed pimples and I have a ceremony to attend tomorrow :sad:

Anyways my doc gave me a script for the Retin a few months ago to deal with the breakouts. But I can't use it.

I've tried a few times but even the smallest dabs of it cause my face to flake horribly. And it doesn't just flake where I put it. The flaking spreads. Mainly I break out around the bottom of my face...chin, jaw and creases that run down from my nose. So I will daub it on just the pimple itself. Within a few days, with no more applications, I will have skin flaking off clear up to my forehead.

It does clear up the pimple though so I guess it's a trade off. The flaking probably wouldn't be too bad if I could put lotion on it but like I said my face breaks out with everything.

if it does work for you... you may want to talk to your doctor about getting more samples if insurance doesn't cover it for you.

One of my kiddos uses an inhaler than even w/ insurance cost $40 out of pocket. When I asked the doctor if there was a cheaper alternative. They gave me a stock pile of samples! And told me to call when we needed more.

I also get horrible break-outs. My face is so delicate I can't use anything on it. Everything breaks it out. I use bar soap and I break out. I use liquid soap and I break out. Anything and everything causes me to break out.

Heck I was so excited about the new Simple products that I ran out and bought some and right now my face is covered in scabbed pimples and I have a ceremony to attend tomorrow :sad:

Anyways my doc gave me a script for the Retin a few months ago to deal with the breakouts. But I can't use it.

I've tried a few times but even the smallest dabs of it cause my face to flake horribly. And it doesn't just flake where I put it. The flaking spreads. Mainly I break out around the bottom of my face...chin, jaw and creases that run down from my nose. So I will daub it on just the pimple itself. Within a few days, with no more applications, I will have skin flaking off clear up to my forehead.

It does clear up the pimple though so I guess it's a trade off. The flaking probably wouldn't be too bad if I could put lotion on it but like I said my face breaks out with everything.

Retin-A takes about 2 months - a full skin cycle - to purge your skin. It will ultimately thin out your skin and make it clearer, and in the mean time it's important to start using and continue using both a good moisturizer and SPF. Exfoliating - a scrub or a tool like a clarisonic, or even a wash cloth - will help with the flakiness.

My insurance covers retin-a at $10 a 30 g tube - I've used the cream and now gel, and my skin has never been better after I got through the peeling/breaking out purging period. You only need a pea-sized amount -- the amount they prescribe for 30 days lasts me well over 3 months.

The key is to stick with it, drink plenty of water, exfoliate and moisturize for at least three months before you decide you hate it. Google "retin-a purging" for more information.

Because it thins out your skin, it's also important to not pick at pimples because they will take longer to heal and the red marks will take longer to fade.

Did u break out bad? thats what i'm really afraid of

Retin-A takes about 2 months - a full skin cycle - to purge your skin. It will ultimately thin out your skin and make it clearer, and in the mean time it's important to start using and continue using both a good moisturizer and SPF. Exfoliating - a scrub or a tool like a clarisonic, or even a wash cloth - will help with the flakiness.

My insurance covers retin-a at $10 a 30 g tube - I've used the cream and now gel, and my skin has never been better after I got through the peeling/breaking out purging period. You only need a pea-sized amount -- the amount they prescribe for 30 days lasts me well over 3 months.

The key is to stick with it, drink plenty of water, exfoliate and moisturize for at least three months before you decide you hate it. Google "retin-a purging" for more information.

Because it thins out your skin, it's also important to not pick at pimples because they will take longer to heal and the red marks will take longer to fade.

I use Retin-A micro. I use smaller than a pea size amount- probably 1/2 a pea size amount. More is not better with this medicine.

I feel that you have to be really careful what other products you use when you are using it.

You have to wear sunscreen, but you need to be careful, because that can cause more breakouts.

I don't exfoliate, otherwise it just irritates my skin and burns. My insurance covers it.

i went to the pharmacy and they said my coverage does not cover it - i called up and they said my dr. needs to call and get it approved so i'll call her tomorrow - i don't want to try the samples because if i like it but then can't get it its not worth it!

I'm just a bit concerned about sun sensitivity as i am outside alot - watching kids sports - enjoying the summer by the pool/beach - is it ok as long as i wear sun protection

Retin A does thin out the skin. Do not get your eye brows waxed while using this medicine or it will rip your skin right off. I found out the hard way!

I used it for awhile but didn't really help much with my acne, it did do wonders on my forehead creases ;)

Retin A and Accutane were so popular back in the '80's. Everyone I knew used it and it worked. My only concern is that I have seen alot of class action law suits out now (I think it is linked to Chron's disease). I'm not certain how that pertains to the Retin A used today but just thought I should mention it

My insurance doesn't cover it and it costs $80/month oop if I did decide to just buy it without it going towards our deductible (it's 2500). :lmao: But, I can get clindamycin at $150 for a 3 month supply that goes towards our deductible. Guess who's 30 and has pimples. :lmao::lmao:

Thanks for the site. Do u mail them the prescription?

I caved and used it tonight. I only put in on the side of my jaw line where i'm breaking out - just to get a feel for it.

I went thru www.canadadrugcenter.com It was cheaper. i was initially skeptical about buying it thru them, but had no issues. Good customer service. I just forget to use it. :confused3

See that's my problem...I can't put anything on my face. No moisturizer, no sunscreen.

I have a cabinet full of face products that I've wasted money on. Garnier, Ponds, Aveeno, Clinique, Proactiv, Sephora...Sooooo much money blown.

I do use a face cloth with Ivory soap. Even then I have to rinse really, really well or it will break me out also. And the Ivory has to be the bar and not the liquid. The liquid will break me out..

My insurance doesn't cover it and it costs $80/month oop if I did decide to just buy it without it going towards our deductible (it's 2500). :lmao: But, I can get clindamycin at $150 for a 3 month supply that goes towards our deductible. Guess who's 30 and has pimples. :lmao::lmao:

I had the Clindamycin dauber and I really liked it but after awhile it stopped working. Last time the doc gave me the Retin. He said it would help with my wrinkles!!!:lmao:

I went thru www.canadadrugcenter.com It was cheaper. i was initially skeptical about buying it thru them, but had no issues. Good customer service. I just forget to use it. :confused3

I was also going to suggest an out of the country pharmacy. Unfortunately, the price of drugs in this country is ridiculous, with or without insurance. And I'm sick and tired of being prescribed something and having some clown at an insurance company decide I don't need that, and tells me some alternative.

For instance, I was prescribed Symbicort. The insurance calls my DR and questions whether or not I need it. They suggest others. (FTR, I love Symbicort. It's been, for me, the best asthma med, I've ever used) As the battle of the inhalers went on, I had to pay full price ($260) for my uncovered Symbicort.

Finally they agreed to pay for it. Well... sorta. I still have an $60 co-pay on it. :crazy2: This same inhaler, this same medication, in India - where there is no BS patent laws is.... **drum roll** $8. Eight bucks! So even with it "covered", it's cheaper out of the country.

Annnnnways - I use www.alldaychemist.com . (for 3 years, now)
Never had an ounce of bad luck, with them. I get a lot of stuff from them, and will continue to do so.

Every drug company they use, as their suppliers, are all genuine pharma companies used by the W.H.O. ANNNNNND the FDA.

P.S. ~ After paying $120/bottle for Latisse, I also began ordering CareProst from ADC.....for $10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter