Restrooms around the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
This thread is going to be just about restrooms - a subject that comes up fairly often.
This is the key to list what each post is about:

POST 1: GENERAL RESTROOM INFORMATION
POST 2: FIRST AID
POST 3 GENERAL INFO ABOUT COMPANION RESTROOMS; SHORT LIST OF LOCATIONS
POST 4: EPCOT specific information
POST 5: MK specific information
POST 6: STUDIO specific information
POST 7: AK specific information

General Restroom Information
Here's a website that was made by a DIS poster. She actually took pictures and information about as many bathrooms as possible at each park.

Many restrooms in WDW parks have auto flush toilets, which flush when the sensor senses movement. These are rather loud and can flush unexpectedly. Some are more sensitive than others and may flush with just small motion, like leaning forward slightly.
One good hint is to put a Post It note over the sensor before using the toilet. When finished, remove it and the toilet will flush. There is also a small button near the sensor that can be used to flush the toilet if the sensor work. My DD has also pushed the button by mistake by leaning against it (although it's not that easy to do).

All park restrooms have handicapped toilet stalls and almost all have changing tables.
The changing tables are often not long enough to change an older child.
There are 3 types of handicapped toilet stalls.

Type 1
  • there are Type 1 stalls in each restroom because some people need that type of stall
  • best for people who need a raised seat toilet, but don't need a wheelchair or any assistance in the restroom
  • stalls are usually the same length as other stalls, may be a bit wider
  • have a grab bars along both sides of the wall that can be used to pull up to stand or a wheelchair can be parked outside the stall and the bars used for support to walk to the toilet.
This is a picture of a Type 1 bathroom stall.
2590Epcot_Ladies_Room_International_Gate2-med.JPG

and a link to the picture.

Type 2
  • wider than type 1; sometimes not longer.
  • Even though they look large, once a wheelchair is inside, there may not be room for an assistant.
  • If the wheelchair is long, there may not be room to shut the door, even if the person does not need assistance.
This is a picture of a small Type 2 bathroom stall with my DD driving her wheelchair into the stall. At this point, her footrests were almost touching the toilet.
2590Epcot_Ladies_Room_International_Gate1-med.JPG

Because Epcot and MK were built before current standards for handicapped restrooms were in place, many of the handicapped stalls in regular restrooms are the Type 2 stalls.

Type 3 stalls are much larger and many are equipped with a sink inside the stall.
The Studio and AK were built with this type of handicapped stalls in the restrooms and also have Type 1 stalls (some people need Type 1 stalls to hold onto the garb bars while walking into the stall and using the toilet.
At MK and Epcot, some Type 2 stalls have been replaced with this larger type of stall. There are still Type 1 stalls.
The larger restrooms are more likely to have updated, larger stalls. The smaller restrooms inside restaurants are more likely to have smaller stalls.
This is a picture a Type 3 bathroom stall.
2590Epcot_Ladies_room3_ice_cream-med.JPG

There is a First Aid Station in each park and they all:
  • are staffed by Nurses
  • can store equipment and supplies for you
  • have area that is dimly lit, cool and quiet
  • have a place to do treatments, change diapers on older children, etc.
  • have cubicles with a cot, chair, bedside table, privacy curtain
  • also have private rooms with a door that can be closed and a cot or exam type table that can be raised or lowered
  • have a companion restroom inside First Aid
This is a picture of one of the private rooms in First Aid in the Studio
2590PA150516-med.JPG

and a link to the picture

This is a picture of Studio First Aid room with a higher table for changing
2590PA150517-med.JPG

and a link to the picture

The locations of First Aid are clearly marked on the park maps. In most cases, they are right next to the Baby Care Center.
MK First Aid
Located near to the Crystal Palace off Main Street, USA.

Epcot First Aid
Located at Odyssey Center in Future World (near bridge that goes between the Test Track area and Mexico).

Disney's Hollywood Studio First Aid
Located near to the Guest Relations Lobby, just past the Main Entrance.

Animal Kingdom First Aid
Located behind Creature Comforts in Discovery Island.

These are large enough for a wheelchair to go into and are set up for people who need assistance in the bathroom (whether or not they have a wheelchair).
  • meet ADA wheelchair accessibility standards for size, space and arrangement of the room.
  • raised seat, wheelchair accessible toilets with grab bars
  • sink
  • a single room with a door that can be locked, so there is no privacy from the other people who are in there with you.
  • almost all have autoflush toilets
  • some have a urinal
  • some have changing tables; measurements vary and are listed below with the information for each park

A few examples of people who need Companion Restrooms:
  • a mother with an older son who is autistic and is too old to comfortably come into the ladies room with her
  • someone who can't walk whose wheelchair doesn't fit into the regular handicapped stalls or doesn't fit into the stall in a way that allows them to transfer (so they can't leave it outside the stall and walk in)
  • someone, like my DD, who needs room for a wheelchair and a helper (we don't fit in many of the regular handicapped stalls)
  • someone, like my DD, who don't do well with all the noise in a regular restroom and need a quieter restroom.
  • an older man or woman who has to assist their spouse/SO who has had a stroke or other situation that makes assistance in the restroom necessary
  • someone with a colostomy or other need that makes being in a bathroom with a toilet and a sink necessary
  • and, many other needs that can't all be listed.

The Companion Restroom or handicapped stall are the only toilets some people can use. So, there may be only 4-8 toilets in all of that park that they can use.
Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms are made so that people with disabilities are able to use the restroom. They may also be useful or convenient for some people without disabilities. Some people do choose to use them for convenience. But, there are not enough of them to be used that way if everyone who found them convenient used them.
I would like to ask people to consider whether or not they have other options. In some cases, they don't and should be using the Companion Restrooms or the Handicapped Stall. (One example might be a father traveling alone with a young daughter who doesn't feel comfortable bringing her in with him.)
But, please consider whether there are other options before using them for convenience.

Companion Restrooms are located at First Aid as well as:
  • Near Spaceship Earth – on the East side, between stroller rental and Guest Relations. Very large room, seating area a few feet outside door. Noisy with murmur of voices and can also hear music from park entrance area. Toilet, urinal, changing table (table is 40 inches long, 21 inches wide, 35.5 high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to right side of toilet, as you face it.
    2590Slide1.jpg

Link to slide of CRR by Spaceship Earth
  • FutureWorld East opposite Test Track Large room, but very noisy. Can hear sounds from Test Track and also 'traffic' going by on busy walkway. Toilet, urinal and changing table (table is 56 inches long, 21 inches wide, 34.5 high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to right of toilet as you face it.
    2590Slide21.jpg

Link to slide of CRR by Test Track
  • FutureWorld West opposite The Land NEAR to Innoventions West, outside the building where character greetings occur. Large room, loud fan masks outside noise. Toilet, urinal and changing table (table is 56 inches long, 21 inches wide, 34.5 high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to left of toilet. This CRR is the mirror image of the one at FutureWorld East opposite Test Track.
    Slide7.jpg

Link to slide of CRR opposite The Land
  • Inside the Land – to the left of the entrance to Soarin’. Very large room. Noisy area with constant murmur of voices from seating area across from restroom. Busy, with at least 3 knocks/tries to door in a 15 minute visit in our experience. Toilet, urinal and very small changing table (table is 28 inches long, 22 inches wide, 34.5 high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to left of toilet as you face it.
    2590Slide31.jpg

Link to slide of CRR inside the Land
  • Near Norway – on the side closer to Mexico, near the Norse Ship play area. Restroom is very large. Toilet, urinal and changing table (table is 46 inches long, 21 inches wide, 32.5 high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to the left of toilet, as you face it.
    2590Slide4.jpg

Link to slide of Norway CRR
  • Near Germany - on the side closer to Italy, near the model train display. Toilet, urinal and changing table (table is 44 inches long, 20 inches wide, 36 inches high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to the left of toilet as you face it.
    2590Slide51.jpg

Link to slide of Germany CRR
  • Near Morocco – on the side toward France. Very large room. Quiet location beyond the other restrooms. Toilet, urinal and changing table (table is 44 inches long, 21 inches wide, 40 inches high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to right of toilet as you face it.
    2590Slide6.jpg

Link to slide of Morocco CRR
  • Near Canada – at the Refreshment Port between Canada and the Showcase Plaza. Very large room with a sort of antechamber where someone could stand inside room out of view of person using restroom. Very high toilet paper dispenser. Toilet, urinal, changing table (table is 47 inches long, 22 inches wide, 36 inches high). Wheelchair could be parked in front of or to left of toilet, as you face it.
Slide8.jpg

Link to slide of Canada CRR

Not done yet, but locations listed.

First Aid (near Crystal Palace)

The Lower Level of Cinderella's Royal Table (I personally would advise avoiding this one. It is inside the waiting area where people are waiting to go up to eat. We have found it to have a long line of people waiting to change their daughters into Princess dresses - not patient)

Outside Pirates of the Caribbean- near the Gift shop

Splash Mountain - by the exit of the attraction, near the photo viewing area

Next to Pinocchio Village Haus - near the back

Near Space Mountain - to your right as you face the entrance to Space Mountain

AWAY FROM THE PARK AT TTC, by the East Gate

not done yet, but locations listed

First Aid - as you enter the park, towards the right

Opposite Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - restrooms are to your right just before entering the TOT area

Opposite Star Tours - on the back of the Sounds dangerous building

Fantasmic - inside the Fantasmic Theater area. NOTE: This restroom is only available to guest in the theater area.

Rock N Roller Coaster - as you face the attraction, it is inside the courtyard to the left

Next to Toy Story Midway Mania - as you are coming into the area from Mickey Avenue

Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show - to the far right of the entrance to this attraction

Animal Kingdom
not done yet, but locations listed

First Aid - near Pizzafari

Harambe Village in Africa - to the right as you enter Africa from Discovery Island. Just beyond Harambe Fruit Market

Conservation Station at Rafiki's Planet Watch

Asia, near Maharajah Jungle Trek, near Jak and Yeti Restaurant

Asia, near Expedition Everest

Discovery Island - opposite Flame Tree Barbecue, just before entering DinoLand

Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures in Dinoland

Excellent info Sue, but you need a better photo of the Type 2 - the one with your daughter is actually smaller than the Type 1 ( I counted the tiles on the back wall). So pack up and get yourself to WDW for a better photo! (See, you could write it off as a business trip, right?)

All kidding aside, I think this is a great thread, and if you are going to 'sticky' this, feel free to completely delete my silly post. Just wanted to thank you for doing this!

Wow! Great post. This has definitely been a worry of mine since I am not in the best of health and DH sometimes has to take DD to the restroom. Thank you very much.

I hate the first type of stall. I cannot use the grab bars to pull myself up on a bad day. They are too narrow for me also. I wish there were more of the third kind all over the world even local restaurants and stores. Great Pictures and info. It is so much easier to tell someone to look here than explain things.

:offtopic: Did too.:grouphug: pixiedust:

Sue,
Thanks for doing this thread. I know it will be helpful to many people! Sometimes it amazes me how much I worry about public bathrooms.

Excellent info Sue, but you need a better photo of the Type 2 - the one with your daughter is actually smaller than the Type 1 ( I counted the tiles on the back wall). So pack up and get yourself to WDW for a better photo! (See, you could write it off as a business trip, right?)

All kidding aside, I think this is a great thread, and if you are going to 'sticky' this, feel free to completely delete my silly post. Just wanted to thank you for doing this!
You are right. (I didn't expect anyone to count the tiles on the wall though):rotfl2:
I had written these posts all in HTML code so I could post the 7 posts of information quick.
I've got lots more pictures, so I just have to find the right one (and we are going in March if I can't find it).

This is fabulous!

I will link this to the Wish Trippers Thread, too...

This must have taken a LOT of work. Thank you so much for doing this!!

This is fabulous!

I will link this to the Wish Trippers Thread, too...

This must have taken a LOT of work. Thank you so much for doing this!!
Thanks. The idea to do it came because people were asking about where they could change their larger children. I realized all I had was some 'kind of' information.
I have lots more work to do.
I have 2 more slides to finish for Epcot (those are done, but some of the pictures are uncooperative and won't stay on their slide).
I also have pictures of all the Companion Restrooms for the other 3 parks.

Hopefully, I will get to work on it this weekend.

You are right. (I didn't expect anyone to count the tiles on the wall though):rotfl2:
:lmao:
You forgot that some of us have quirks and others like to study things in detail.
You will of course include a tile count for all bathrooms, right?

Next you will have to do DLR the off to Paris and then Asia. Can I go with you on these fact finding missions? I know DLR pretty well and think we need to branch out to Europe and Asia, lol. :rotfl2:
Hugs and chocolates and thnaks for your hard workpixiedust:

This is a great idea Sue. I personally like the companion restrooms at the parks better than the regular wheelchair-accessible stalls in the women's restroom. This was mostly because I had my wheelchair tray on my manual wheelchair on my manual wheelchair most of the time at the parks. During the times that it was just Dan and me, maneuvering a manual wheelchair into the women's restroom by hand and foot propel with a tray attached was tricky. Even when I was going into a narrow wheelchair-accessible stall. Not to mention, me trying to unscrew the tray from the armrests when it has been screwed on too tight.

Samantha

Sue, this is a terrific thread! Thanks for doing all this research. It has always been a frustration for me when assisting our DD with her manual chair - getting to the restroom only to find out the stall is too small and the companion restroom is nowhere near! I'm planning to print and take along your locations list for our Sept. trip. Thanks again :)

Thank you for posting this information. It is very helpful and even though I may not need it now one day I may plus I have friends who can use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter