Restroom access while in line for attractions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiggymama

Earning My Ears
My husband has a slow growing form of pancreatic cancer, and had surgery several years ago to remove the bulk of it. He lost half his pancreas, his duodenum and his gall bladder. As a result, his GI system doesn't digest effectively and he needs frequent bathroom breaks that can last anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. How does restroom access work when you're in line for attractions? It is my worst nightmare that we'll spend 30 minutes in line for a ride and then lose our place because he needs to go.

My husband has a slow growing form of pancreatic cancer, and had surgery several years ago to remove the bulk of it. He lost half his pancreas, his duodenum and his gall bladder. As a result, his GI system doesn't digest effectively and he needs frequent bathroom breaks that can last anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. How does restroom access work when you're in line for attractions? It is my worst nightmare that we'll spend 30 minutes in line for a ride and then lose our place because he needs to go.

Disney has no policy for leaving a line and getting back in - but if you do need to leave, check with the CM at the queue entrance as you leave and he/she might be able to help.

you can also go to GR and talk to them about your DH needs to use the restroom and see if a DAS would work for him.

a DAS lets you wait out side the line for the same amount of time the wait time is ( -10 minutes)

depending on the CM they may or may not give you a DAS for this.

have him try to go at lest one time an hour

or if need be between each ride

do rope drop and have FP for mid morning so that you can get more.

take a break during the heat of the day when lines are longest ( or find s few short rides)

do not do any long show. Ellion is 40 -45 minutes long with no way out.

check with a CM before doing any shows to see of you can exit in the middle and what to do if need to.

if the line is long and he need to leave ( an you are neer the begging ) have your DH leave you stay there and he can join you agin. This dose happen mostly with kids most people of they see you not in line and one leaves they are more ok with this then if one comes in and the other join latter.

has he talk to his DR to see if there are some things he can do to help

this is all I can think of

As a PP stated, Disney doesn't really offer "restroom access work when you're in line for attractions." DAS may be an option, feel free to stop by Guest Relations and ask, though I've read varying reports on whether people were successful obtaining a DAS for such needs.

Our best strategy is to 1) never pass a restroom without stopping, 2) never enter a queue without visiting the restroom, and 3) always know where the closest restroom will be if you need to leave a queue/attraction quickly. If you find you must leave the queue for a restroom need, speak to the CM on your way out (have DH go on ahead while you stop); they may offer something for when you return. It can be extremely hard, sometimes impossible, to try and "re-join" the line at the point you left even if someone from the party remains in place. Many of the people you need to squeeze past may not have been in line to see you leave, and unfortunately due to poor guest behavior with line-jumping, some guests won't let you past them. Particularly for adults (when it's obvious someone took a toddler/preschooler out for a quick potty-break some are more understanding). So I don't recommend trying to rejoin the queue; speak to the CM about your options. Try to FP+ the rides that are most likely to have the longest queue waits.

Also as a PP mentions, be aware of not just long queues but also ride/attraction length and whether there is an easy-out if needed. Ellen's Energy Adventure is a long ride (45 minutes). Carousel of Progress has no exit once the show begins. Soarin' has a long (distance-wise) queue at approximately 1/4 mile long. Ask the CM if you aren't sure. And I suggest having a back-up plan in the event a ride breaks down and you are stuck for a period of time.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would agree with talking to Guest Services about the possibility of the DAS, a few years ago DH had a some issues and ended up with a colostomy for a year or so while he healed. He was horrified, embarrassed and humiliated since with the ostomy he had no control and lived in fear of the bag rapidly filling and rupturing while we were in line. We talked to GS and they were able to help us out in the period between the initial surgery and the reversal a year later.

Consider asking for a DAS, your husband's needs are quite valid. My son has bathroom issues related to his disability. And a history of disasters on Space Mountain (jeez that is a long walk in, and a long walk out!)

Time spent waiting in the queue is often considerably longer than the time spent experiencing the attraction.
there are a few attraction that the ride is longer then the line this is why for show ( exspasily ) the OP needs to ask about leaving in the middle and they need to think what happens if the ride breaks down too.

one more suggestion for the OP is bring a change of cloths just incase there is an accident ( I know some one that dose this) there needs dose not sound as bad but this person can not hold it long when they have to go.

Time spent waiting in the queue is often considerably longer than the time spent experiencing the attraction.

Yes, but who is to say it won't happen on the attraction?

I suggest that the OP's husband wear an adult diaper if he is not doing so already. Also, check his diet and see if there are foods that trigger more than others. I don't have a gall bladder, and my digestive system is wonky as well. I had to take a day off from work this week because I ate something at Longhorn that disagreed with me the night before (and into the next day and night) so I understand the issue. If you can find some of his trigger foods, have him try to stay away from them as much as possible before and during the trip. Since his pancreas is part of the issue, have him check with his doctor about changing up his insulin intake as well if that is causing some of the problems.

If waiting in a queue is too much, what do you do when it happens on the attraction?
I hate this argument, it can be said for any condition and misses the point What if your autistic child has a meltdown on the attraction? What if your diabetic child gets hypoglycemia on the attraction? What if the person with heat intolerance gets overheated on the attraction? And so on. Using that logic they should just get rid of das. Sometimes you can't eliminate the risks or hardship associated with a disability,but you can minimize it as best as possible. In this case das doesn't eliminate the risk of having an accident, but it can help decrease the risk. And that is the point you are missing

I hate this argument, it can be said for any condition and misses the point What if your autistic child has a meltdown on the attraction? What if your diabetic child gets hypoglycemia on the attraction? What if the person with heat intolerance gets overheated on the attraction? And so on. Using that logic they should just get rid of das. Sometimes you can't eliminate the risks or hardship associated with a disability,but you can minimize it as best as possible. In this case das doesn't eliminate the risk of having an accident, but it can help decrease the risk. And that is the point you are missing
But there is some amount of waiting in a queue to access the attraction. People also need to take personal responsibility to mitigate their own issues and not just rely on Disney to do more than allow them access to the attraction or expect operational changes for every possibility. If someone overheats, and expects to skip to the front of the line, but doesn't use hats or umbrellas for shade, cooling towels or carry a fan, then it's completely valid to point out that they may also overheat on the attraction.

Yes, but who is to say it won't happen on the attraction?

I suggest that the OP's husband wear an adult diaper if he is not doing so already. Also, check his diet and see if there are foods that trigger more than others. I don't have a gall bladder, and my digestive system is wonky as well. I had to take a day off from work this week because I ate something at Longhorn that disagreed with me the night before (and into the next day and night) so I understand the issue. If you can find some of his trigger foods, have him try to stay away from them as much as possible before and during the trip. Since his pancreas is part of the issue, have him check with his doctor about changing up his insulin intake as well if that is causing some of the problems.

Just an FYI, missing part of your pancreas does not automatically make one diabetic and needing insulin.
And honestly I wouldn't want to have to stand in line (for very long!) next to someone who relieved him/herself in an adult diaper. That is way worse smelling than 99% of a baby's diaper. And the adult can get sores from staying in that situation any length of time. Sometimes quicker than babies because their diet is usually stronger than a baby's.
I'm not saying the adult diaper is a bad idea but it should be as a safety net in case they can't get to a restroom in time. Not so they can ride out a long line and just relieve themselves while in line.

I would agree with talking to Guest Services about the possibility of the DAS, a few years ago DH had a some issues and ended up with a colostomy for a year or so while he healed. He was horrified, embarrassed and humiliated since with the ostomy he had no control and lived in fear of the bag rapidly filling and rupturing while we were in line. We talked to GS and they were able to help us out in the period between the initial surgery and the reversal a year later.
People have no idea what this is like until it affects them or a close family member. I have a close family member with a permanent colostomy and it changes EVERYTHING!!! Sometimes you can't leave when you need to. Or a food that has never bothered them all, now suddenly today is a problem. It does control everything. My family member has had one long enough that they have had to have their stoma redone. I wouldn't wish that situation on a worst enemy. There is nothing about it that is fun or pleasant!
So glad your hubby was able to get his reversed!!

Just an FYI, missing part of your pancreas does not automatically make one diabetic and needing insulin.
And honestly I wouldn't want to have to stand in line (for very long!) next to someone who relieved him/herself in an adult diaper. That is way worse smelling than 99% of a baby's diaper. And the adult can get sores from staying in that situation any length of time. Sometimes quicker than babies because their diet is usually stronger than a baby's.
I'm not saying the adult diaper is a bad idea but it should be as a safety net in case they can't get to a restroom in time. Not so they can ride out a long line and just relieve themselves while in line.
Reading through the whole thread, I think the suggestion was that only skipping the line likely won't solve the problem and that the OP should consider additional steps and precautions. Not that they should stay in line with a full diaper or wearing a diaper alone would allow them to wait in line. As PPs have pointed out in this thread and others, DAS isn't guaranteed and doesn't eliminate all waiting in the queue. Planning for the worst case scenario is good advice for many potential medical issues. And the OP says their worst fear is having to use the restroom after waiting 30 minutes in line. As worst fears go, that's not what many people can imagine or have experienced as the worst thing that could happen in the parks.

But there is some amount of waiting in a queue to access the attraction. People also need to take personal responsibility to mitigate their own issues and not just rely on Disney to do more than allow them access to the attraction or expect operational changes for every possibility. If someone overheats, and expects to skip to the front of the line, but doesn't use hats or umbrellas for shade, cooling towels or carry a fan, then it's completely valid to point out that they may also overheat on the attraction.
I'm not saying don't take personal respinsibility. You can do all the right things to mitigate your condition, and still have a problem. You take steps to help yourself ahead of time, and that lessens the risk of having a problem on a ride, but the risk might still be there. The das can help to further lessen the risk. But to say the das won't solve all your problems so don't bother getting one isn't really a very helpful response. If it can help, then the op can try to get one in addition to taking other steps that have been suggested.

Reading through the whole thread, I think the suggestion was that only skipping the line likely won't solve the problem and that the OP should consider additional steps and precautions. Not that they should stay in line with a full diaper or wearing a diaper alone would allow them to wait in line. As PPs have pointed out in this thread and others, DAS isn't guaranteed and doesn't eliminate all waiting in the queue. Planning for the worst case scenario is good advice for many potential medical issues. And the OP says their worst fear is having to use the restroom after waiting 30 minutes in line. As worst fears go, that's not what many people can imagine or have experienced as the worst thing that could happen in the parks.
My worst fear is my daughter will stop breathing or develop a fatal heart dysrhytmia due to her heart and lung disease, either in line or on a ride or just out and about in the parks. But that doesn't mean I would want to have an accident in my pants. Not fair to play the comparison game, you can always find someone worse off, but that doesn't make your own problems any less important

My worst fear is my daughter will stop breathing or develop a fatal heart dysrhytmia due to her heart and lung disease, either in line or on a ride or just out and about in the parks. But that doesn't mean I would want to have an accident in my pants. Not fair to play the comparison game, you can always find someone worse off, but that doesn't make your own problems any less important
Someone's "worst fear" or their potential medical issues doesn't change the reality that going to a theme park means heat, crowds and waiting. Disney can't operationally offer bathroom access in lines without drastically altering the physical queues, staffing and the way the lines operate. Everyone has to make the choice to go or not going knowing both the best and worst case scenarios and weigh if it's still the right choice for them. If the best case scenario involves Disney granting front of the line access, or Disney altering the queues or some other action by Disney, it's probably best to assume it won't happen or won't be consistent. If the worse case scenario is something someone can't live with, like having an accident or leaving the line and having to start the wait over again, that's when one should weight the options. With something more life threatening, that would be highly individual.

Another thing for the OP is if you do find your self some where that you have to go and the line in the bathrooms is long and you are close to a first aid you can go in first aid to us the bathroom.

Those are other situations to be prepared for as well and to weigh those issues with the ability to participate in the designated activity. I'm not saying get rid of DAS, but what you do on the attraction to mitigate a situation can also help limit the need to leave a queue, etc.

Another thing for the OP is if you do find your self some where that you have to go and the line in the bathrooms is long and you are close to a first aid you can go in first aid to us the bathroom.

If they are close to first aid, which is in only one location in each park, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter