• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Restaraunts and more at VB

kamgen

DIS Veteran
We are headed to VB in two weeks! Yeah! We have been there before, but only for two days. We will now be there for 6!
Specific questions: how is the onsite dining? We opted to go off site last visit. Should we make plans to eat at an onsite restaraunt?
Also I heard there was a character breakfast and a brunch. Anyone have opinions and details about these?

Also, off the topic of dining...is there anywhere to go to see manatees in the area? tours, etc?
Thanks for the info! :)

Off site '94
AllStar-Movies '99
DxL '00 Honeymoon
DVC Member 4/00
BWV 9/00
VB 9/00
DCL-Wonder 1/01
OKW 1/01
Upcoming:
VB 5/01
VWL 12/01
BWV 12/01
DCL-Magic 12/29/01

My new Disney website!
http://gennaroworld.topcities.com

I love Vero Beach too! There are two restaurants at the resort, as well as a poolside snack bar with items such as burgers, chicken tenders, etc. There is a character breakfast on site, too. The Guest Services desk has a large book made up of menus and prices from many local restaurants. If you as the CM, they will sometimes give you discounts coupons to many of the local restaurants. They also have all the information on attractions such as a river cruise, local shopping, theatre, etc. Have fun! :)

<font size=4><font color=purple><font face=BrushArt>Carol</font></font></font>
minnie04a.gif

<font color=FF0066><font face=tahoma>Co-Mod - Theme Park Attractions and Strategies Board</font></font>
<font color=purple><font face=tahoma>Co Mod - Cruise Board</font></font>
<font color=FF0066><font face=tahoma>Co-Mod - DVC Board</font><

are the on site restaraunts any good? :)

Off site '94
AllStar-Movies '99
DxL '00 Honeymoon
DVC Member 4/00
BWV 9/00
VB 9/00
DCL-Wonder 1/01
OKW 1/01
Upcoming:
VB 5/01
VWL 12/01
BWV 12/01
DCL-Magic 12/29/01

My new Disney website!

yes! the onsite restaurants are great!!! atleast they were in '98, when we were there!!! We had dinner at Sonya's all three nights! the prime rib was fantastic!!!
and we had breakfast at shutters every morning! It was very, very good!

Have a great time!!! :)

Laura :)
only 9 days til WDW!!! yipeeeeeeeee :)

4/97 - offsite (Hyatt)
6/98 - GF (honeymoon)
12/99 - Grand Floridian
9/00 - Grand Floridian
1/01 - Grand Floridian
4/01 - AKL, BWV & Polynesian
7/01 - YachtClub lagoonview concierge
10/01 - BWV
1/02 - running Disney's 26 mile marathon!!

I have eaten at both Shutters and Sonya's. At Sonya's the only thing I've done is the Sunday brunch which was quite good.

As far as Shutters goes we love it (myself and my guests). We have never had a meal there we didn't like. And they are very accommodating, such as letting you split a large prime rib with two people rather than wasting so much. There is a waiter that works there that we always ask for. His name is Chuck and he is wonderful. Also, as for recommendations on the menu (other than whatever may be specials at the time), the meatloaf and the grapefruit chicken are great. And the prices are reasonable. Deserts at Shutters can also be very sinful.

Anyway, hope you enjoy and at least try Shutters for one of you dinners.

Thank you for the information. We are looking forward to our days at VB! Just two weeks away! Yeah! :)

Off site '94
AllStar-Movies '99
DxL '00 Honeymoon
DVC Member 4/00
BWV 9/00
VB 9/00
DCL-Wonder 1/01
OKW 1/01
Upcoming:
VB 5/01
VWL 12/01
BWV 12/01
DCL-Magic 12/29/01

My new Disney website!

Is there any place anyone would recommend to eat off site? We will be at VB in 13 days! Our first trip home :)

We had an excellent salmon meal at Mr. Manatee's- early bird special was very reasonable, sorry don't remember the price, we would go back in a minute. We also ate at the Lobster Shanty as per AAA book review- over priced, only fair quality, and slow service. Not going back any time soon. The Vero lobby has a notebook of restaurants in the area complete with directions. Good luck.

We just returned from VB on 4/15 after a 5 night stay. Since we stayed from Sun through Friday, we missed the character breakfast on Saturday am ...sorry I can't help you with this.

To answer your food questions....
1. We didn't eat at Sonya's while there due to no desire to dress more formally during the stay ... heard many good reports though and especially the Sunday brunch.

2. Ended up eating 1 dinner & 1 breakfast at Shutters. The breakfast was great for the entire family (DH, DS-9 and DD-12). Dinner was okay...DH said his shrimp meal was great, but my mahi mahi was only so-so. Selections for our kids were standard. Service was great for both meals. Didn't have PS arrangements for dinner and ended up waiting for about 45 minutes for a table. Recommend making PS for either Sonya's or Shutters for all dinner meals.

3. Trully enjoyed the pool bar/grill service at Bleachers. Great food (we really loved the tuna sandwich & fruit plates...the hamburgers we had were awesome) and pool drinks. Used both the window service and the waitress. During peak times, its quicker to get your food using the waitresses.

4. Ate several early evening appetizer, deserts & drink meals at the Green River Room...a kid friendly bar with excellent service and great fun to sit on the porch. This ended up being our favorite dining place from a price, food quality and service standpoint. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

5. For off site dining, refer to the binders found by the guest services desk to the right of the main service desk. The binders have maps and menus for area restaurants so that you can check out the selection and prices. Captain Hiram's in Sebastian has been a restaurant that others on these boards have recommended. We ended up not eating off site so I can't help.

6. Manatees...we went on a Lagoon tour at Harbor Branch Oceanographics that was recommended by VB. We saw an alligator, dolphins, lots of different birds and a manatee in the channel. It was a great tour for older kids (10 & older) and adults. The tour guide was fun and we enjoyed it. VB resort uses these folks for several tours they offer during the week. Check out the activity schedule they give you at check in and register at Eb & Flo's at the pool. Guest Services was great about finding out info for us.

Go and enjoy...we felt 5 nights was too much for our family (kids needed more action), but it all depends on what you are looking for in the trip. I would have been perfectly content to spend hours at the pool laying in the sun, reading and sipping pool drinks. If we had it to do again, we spend the extra points to stay over the weekend. Much more action and activities.

Dream it and you're there!

Off Site - '80,'82,'84,'87
Caribbean Beach - '92,'95,'00
DVC Purchase - 6/00
Vero Beach - '01

[This message was edited by Daydreamin on 04-18-01 at 08:13 PM.]

Does anyone know anything else about the character meal? I was going to do 5 weeknights at VB and 2 weekend nights at BWV. However, if the character meals are only on certain days, I may rethink it. Also, what characters appear? Thanks so much

Lisa

The VB Character Breakfast was only on Saturday the week we were there. Since we weren't there on the weekend, our kids missed it. I think I read somewhere that during peak times that its held on Wednesday's as well. We were surprised that the week before Easter wasn't considered a peak travel week given the fact that the resort seemed packed (Hard to get a chair at the pool if you didn't mark your territory by 8 am).

If you call VB, guest services may be able to tell you if they are planning on having the character meal during the week. You will also need to get a PS for this meal since it is not held daily.

This is not true of character meals at the WDW resorts. Only a few of the restaurants that have character meals have them on selected days. With a larger selection of character meals to go to, you will have no problem going to one. Again make sure you get a PS.

Dream it and you're there!

Off Site - '80,'82,'84,'87
Caribbean Beach - '92,'95,'00
DVC Purchase - 6/00
Vero Beach - '01

[This message was edited by Daydreamin on 04-19-01 at 06:13 AM.]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter