Resort Parking fee for Handicap vehicle?

2hapykdz

DIS Veteran
Getting conflicting info....does anyone know for sure if they waive the daily resort parking fee for a handicapped vehicle?TIA!

:confused3 Maybe there's a Florida, Orlando, Lake Buena Vista, or Osceola/Orange County law prohibiting charging for handicap parking? I dunno. I mean, as someone with a placard, I appreciate the break but I don't understand why it's given.

There is a Florida statue that states that those with Handicapped placard/plates can park for free at all public parking. However private property owners can charge, if they like.

Disney have always given HC valet as it makes it more accessible. The HC parking is often not convenient.

It is not equal. It is about equity, not equal treatment.

Since those with a HC plate can park for free in valet it wouldn't make sense for Disney to charge them resort parking. Many would likely just park valet for free instead.

Except that only deluxe resorts even offer valet parking.

True! Didn't think of that.

We mostly stay deluxe or DVC so my initial thought was since they could park in valet (which costs even more) for free, might as well allow general parking for free as well. I didn't even think about the fact that there is no valet at the other resorts.

I was wondering about that myself! We're coming back to Disney NEXT fall (October 2019) to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll be staying at our favorite moderate--POR Alligator Bayou. I have mobility issues and have a handicap placard for parking. We rent an ECV for the length of stay (Apple Scooter drops it off at the resort--they have excellent customer service, btw) and we rent a car so we can get around faster and drive the ECV to/from the parks. I'm just looking for confirmation that the moderate resorts waive the parking fee for handicap placards/plates. We stay on site and spend every vacation dollar at Disney; it would be nice to NOT have to drop several hundred dollars on resort parking.

I don’t follow here. What does being handicapped have to do with paying the same fee everyone else parking a car does? As long as the HA spots are only available for those who need them, that’s equal access.
As @_auroraborealis_ stated upthread "It is not equal. It is about equity, not equal treatment"

I was wondering about that myself! We're coming back to Disney NEXT fall (October 2019) to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll be staying at our favorite moderate--POR Alligator Bayou. I have mobility issues and have a handicap placard for parking. We rent an ECV for the length of stay (Apple Scooter drops it off at the resort--they have excellent customer service, btw) and we rent a car so we can get around faster and drive the ECV to/from the parks. I'm just looking for confirmation that the moderate resorts waive the parking fee for handicap placards/plates. We stay on site and spend every vacation dollar at Disney; it would be nice to NOT have to drop several hundred dollars on resort parking.

The fee is waived at every WDW resort.

As @_auroraborealis_ stated upthread "It is not equal. It is about equity, not equal treatment"
I honestly have no idea what that means. It would seem to me that if one were seeking to provide fair & equal treatment, that to do this is to undermine the entire concept.

But what do I know? I’m just a parent who’s newborn twin had cancer and who had to lug two babies & a 2.5 year old to a hospital weekly and park in a shopping centre accross the street so I didn’t end up bankrupt from hospital parking fees... only marginally exaggerating about the bankruptcy.

My DH mentioned to our offsite hotel that I was outside waiting in the car/valet until we got a room (we were a bit early) as I was having a bad balance day...she immediately assumed I was disabled, and gave us free valet. We were not expecting nor asking for it, but I wonder if it's Orlando wide?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter