• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort help??

minnie56

DIS Veteran
Booked next week at Port Orleans/Riverside
Stayed there yrs back-hated it. Much prefer POFQ however not available this time for the room type I require. So it comes down to Riverside ..or Caribbean Beach where I also haven't stayed in many years. Would really appreciate an opinion from someone who might have stayed at either fairly recently?

Thanks!:)

I haven't stayed there recently, but I have seen both quite recently. POR just finshing redoing all of their rooms, so they are fresh and have queen beds instead of full. Most of what I've heard about CBR is their rooms are in need of a little TLC--a bit tired, and ready for a rehab.

What is it that you didn't like about POR?

Well as I said it was years back..I didn't like how rustic is was trying to be..the pine beds etc. And the walking to everything! Okay-if I stick with Riverside...what building should I request at check in?

Thanks!

Again..;)

POR has two sections. You were in Alligator Bayou. The Mansions are "fancier."
Book a Royal Room. Only in the Mansions section. Fiberoptic special effects. Golden Genie lamp for a faucet.

There are some good tours on you tube. Newly refurbished. Give POR another shot, you will love it!

Do not let the Princess theme turn you off. My big burly manly hubby and very cool teen son both loved the room!

ETA: The Royal Rooms are a room category you can book, and as such be assured to receive, as opposed to simply requesting a room in the Mansion section, which may or may not be granted. The Royal rooms are also near the main building.

As the other poster mentioned, the more "rustic" rooms are on the Alligator Bayou side of the resort. The rooms aren't as rustic as they used to be, but certainly more-so than the mansions side. You can see what the AB look like by doing a Google or You-Tube search for an "Alligator Bayou renovated room".

Unless you don't mind the new look of the AB, I would suggest requesting a room in the Mansions section--you can see what those rooms look like right on the Disney website. The Mansions rooms feel a bit more upscale than those in AB. If you want to be closer to the main building, you'll need to book a princess room (as those are housed in Parterre Place and Oak Manor, which are closer to the main building). If you don't want to pay the upcharge, ask for Magnolia Terrace.

I would suggest calling Disney and adding your room requests to your reservation before check-in. Do not do online check-in if the room request is very important to you--just double-check your placement once you arrive, and request to be switched if it's not what you want.

We love POR, mansion section. We've had 3 stays there and always request either Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House, location close to Old Man Island. Central location to all amenities.
Our last stay, the rooms in Acadian House had just been finished. Beautiful rooms, with queen beds.

You should have any room requests noted on your reservation, and not wait till check in when rooms are already assigned. You will have more success having your needs met.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter