Resort advice--pls help!

goodfaerie

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! My 76 year old mom and I will be at WDW in late fall. I am having trouble deciding on a resort. My mom is pretty active, but she would prefer not to have to walk a lot at the resort--so we can save some energy for the parks! LOL:banana:

I think it would be nice if we could stay at WL or Poly but am open to other suggestions. I've perused through the resort pages, but would like to hear from you all what are the advantages of staying at, say, Yacht Club, BW, or ABC vs. Poly or WL? Thanks so much in advance!

:goodvibes

Which parks will you visit the most?

We love the Epcot resorts ...there is plenty to do at the resort, the ambience is wonderful and you can zip into Epcot and walk/boat to DHS. The Boardwalk dining/entertainment is also great. It is especially convenient to stay at the Epcot resorts if you have a lot of meals planned in Epcot.

If you will visit MK and Epcot equally, the Poly and the easy monorail access may be a good choice.

What theming appeals most to you and your mom?

Happy planning.

We are foodies, so we are eqully all over parks and resorts for our DRs. I think we want theming that will completely transport us. I live in New England, so have shied away from Yacht Club, ABC, and BW, but honestly don't know a thing about them, other than their proximity to Flying Fish Cafe! :lmao:

The Poly is so relaxing and beautiful. It really takes you away:cloud9:
We stayed there last March and loved it. The monorail is great for MK and EP. We stay at MK most, and so we prefer to stay at a MK resort.
If you were going near Christmas I would say WL. It is so pretty all decorated at Christmastime.
I agree to pick what parks you will visit most and go from there picking a resort nearest that park/s.

My personal choice would be the EP resorts hotels over the monorail resorts any day. That is purely because of the distance to the 2 parks. They are also newer. I can imagine you don't want the BC/YC/BW because they would remind you of home, but since you guys are big foodies, you are a stone's throw away from World Showcase. May be worth a little extra investigation.

My second choice would be either BLT or Poly.

Good luck!

You might want to consider WL or AKL, because they are "smaller" actual resorts than some of the others (AKL seems a little bigger). Or even the Contemporary tower. The Epcot area resorts are fantastic, but one of the big reasons for staying there is to WALK to epcot and the studios. If you and your mom want to save your walking for the parks, then I would go with WL or AKL and take the bus to the parks (or the boat from WL). On the other hand, if you tend to spend more time in the World Showcase, being right next to the international gateway (like you are at Boardwalk and Beach Club), you can skip walking through Future World, so I guess it equals out.

But if you have a lot of dining plans in the monorail resorts and/or MK (like at Ohana's, Citricos, NArcoosees, Cali grill), then I suggest the Grand Floridian or contemporary. There's nothing more convenient when you are eating at a monorail resort than staying at one!

The Epcot area resorts are fantastic, but one of the big reasons for staying there is to WALK to epcot and the studios.

They could take a Friendship to the I-Gateway!!! ;) We took them from the Swan as my mom couldn't handle the walking from there. It ended up being very nice boat rides!

you could stay at the royal palm club at the grand floridian! she would be right in the main building, then, with all of the shopping and some of the restaurants right there. :goodvibes

If you were looking for a mod, try POFQ. It's a very small resort and minimal walking. We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. All the buildings are in close proximity to the bus stop.

One of the reasons we love the French Quarter :love: is the small, compact size and we really appreciate the short walk after we have been in the parks for hours :goodvibes

LOL--the POFQ was the place we stayed in before and my mom LOVED it (mostly because of the boats to DD).

I wanted to stay in a dif. resort this time just to try something new. I think I'll just do a little spread sheet with my intended ADRs and see where we're headed most often. :surfweb:You all are so great and helpful!!! I love hearing about your experiences!

I can't WAIT for our trip!!!!:banana:

I grew up on near the water on Long Island and wouldn't dismiss BW or BC for that reason at all - they are both amazing resorts. For adults, especially foodies as you mentioned, I think an Epcot resort is the best location possible. Poly is my favorite resort, but I absolutely love the location of the BW resorts with their easy access to Epcot/DHS and BW area. I always get phenomenal discounts at Swan and Dolphin, so that's help sway us in the direction also. You just can't beat how beautiful the walk to Epcot is.

I'd recommend almost any deluxe -- how's that to narrow it down?! To put things in perspective, book your resort around your ADR's and park time. If you love the Epcot countries for your meals, then go with an Epcot resort. There is nothing that can compare to being that close to Epcot, really, when you love that park (it's our favorite park....).

However, if you want the MK magic and plan to spend loads of time at the MK, then do take a look at Poly or CR tower.

If the monorail resorts are priced too steep, take a look at WL. It's a gorgeous resort, great lobby, great theme, boat to MK, least expensive deluxe. AKL is also a great option. Only problem there is you will take a bus (or car) to all the parks -- no monorail, walking, or boats. But both WL and AKL are one-building and inside corridors, great lobbies and themes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter