Reshopping a cruise while on board

pogmog

Mouseketeer
Booked a cruise online on opening day 9/30/2019. Will be going on a cruise November 16, 2019. Would like to reshop that cruise to receive the 10% OBB credit. My TA will be Costco once I transfer this booking to them by October end of month. How is the best way to reshop and keep the same room and have Costco as my TA. Any help would be much appreciated.

Booked a cruise online on opening day 9/30/2019. Will be going on a cruise November 16, 2019. Would like to reshop that cruise to receive the 10% OBB credit. My TA will be Costco once I transfer this booking to them by October end of month. How is the best way to reshop and keep the same room and have Costco as my TA. Any help would be much appreciated.
Since you must make an actual new booking onboard, just go ahead and make the reservation (naming your TA). Be aware, the price may have risen enough to negate the 10% discount in the meantime.

Once back home, contact your TA to make the changes necessary to your onboard booking (room change, whatever)

The OBB with 10% discount will be based on current fares (as of when you are onboard), not the opening day fare. If prices have increased enough, it may not be worth it — though i don’t know if any of the recent releases were selling that quickly. If Costco handled your current (Nov) cruise, you can have them named to the new reservation, otherwise have it transferred after you are back home. Once Costco has both reservations, ask them to switch the original stateroom to the new OBB reservation and cancel the older one.

Enjoy your cruise!

Understand the price is based on current fares. So it would be okay for me to transfer the 2021 cruise (sorry, never said it was for 2021) to Costco (which has to be done by end of October 2019 to receive the Costco gift card) and there should be no issues to reshop this cruise when we sail in November and receive the 10% on a new reservation other than if the price has gone up and it no longer makes sense to do? I can then have Costco switch the rooms and cancel original reservation upon returning home. Have never done this before; sorry for the extra questions. Just want to make sure I have this right. Thank you all for your help.

Understand the price is based on current fares. So it would be okay for me to transfer the 2021 cruise (sorry, never said it was for 2021) to Costco (which has to be done by end of October 2019 to receive the Costco gift card and there should be no issues to reshop this cruise when we sail in November and receive the 10% other than if the price has gone up and it no longer makes sense to do? I can then have Costco switch the rooms and cancel original reservation upon returning home. Have never done this before; sorry for the extra questions. Just want to make sure I have this right. Thank you all for your help.

One other question: Would it make sense to buy a placeholder and when you get home have Costco move the reservation into that placeholder?

If you know the specific cruise you want, there is no advantage to buying a placeholder. Reservations can't be moved into placeholders -- a new reservation must be created to use the placeholder, just as if you booked the specific cruise onboard. Once you have a new reservation, your plan should work: ask Costco to cancel your existing reservation and immediately change the room on the new reservation to the room on the previous reservation.

The CM on the ship will not be able to make a new reservation with your current stateroom (since you said that you wanted to keep the same room). The only way to guarantee your original stateroom gets transferred to the new reservation is for a DCL rep to do it when you get back to shore. I don't know if working through Costco will impact that (since you can't call DCL directly with a Costco reservation). If you cancel the first reservation and then move the stateroom from the second reservation to the stateroom that was released back into inventory, there is always a small chance that someone could book it before you did.
I did it successfully before; however, I wasn't dealing with a TA so I could directly talk to DCL.

I did this without a TA. I booked my 5/30/20 cruise at the end of April, then went on a Dream cruise on June 19. The price never went up in that time. I wanted to wait until my cruise, but I booked because I was worried about getting a 5E room because they were going quickly. When I was onboard there was one room left; as soon as I disembarked I canceled the first reservation and switched my new reservation to the room from the first reservation.
This saved me the 10% and got me the OBC, which isn't a factor anymore.

Thank you all for you help...much appreciated. Now I understand what I need to do.
Happy Cruising everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter