• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reservations for SWGE at WDW?

krinicone

Mouseketeer
So to get into SWGE initially at DL you had to make a reservation or be staying at a DL hotel, correct? Do you think WDW will do the same? And then after that, will it just be a free for all and they’ll just let whoever into SWGE until it’s at capacity?? Bc you know there will be fans who will spend the entire day in that place! Curious to know what people think will happen.

So to get into SWGE initially at DL you had to make a reservation or be staying at a DL hotel, correct? Do you think WDW will do the same? And then after that, will it just be a free for all and they’ll just let whoever into SWGE until it’s at capacity?? Bc you know there will be fans who will spend the entire day in that place! Curious to know what people think will happen.

No they will not do reservations at WDW but I expect some sort of virtual queue like they are doing at Disneyland starting on June 23rd (or 24th, I forget if 23rd is last day or reservations or first day of virtual queue)

No they will not do reservations at WDW but I expect some sort of virtual queue like they are doing at Disneyland starting on June 23rd (or 24th, I forget if 23rd is last day or reservations or first day of virtual queue)

We actually do not know for sure if DHS will have reservations or not. When Disney announced the reservations for DL, they said reservations for DHS would not be needed "at this time". It is quite possible that once they see how things go at DL, they may implement a reservation system at DHS. Either way I agree that they will likely do a virtual queue. People lining up for hours to get into the land doesn't benefit anyone.

We actually do not know for sure if DHS will have reservations or not. When Disney announced the reservations for DL, they said reservations for DHS would not be needed "at this time". It is quite possible that once they see how things go at DL, they may implement a reservation system at DHS. Either way I agree that they will likely do a virtual queue. People lining up for hours to get into the land doesn't benefit anyone.
A reservation system is very unlikely for 3 reasons:
1; We have 33 resort hotels (on site and neighbors) here there is no way to get everyone staying at one of the resorts a reservation time per day
2: They have announced on several platforms about the EEMH starting Sept 1st for 2 months. they will not take those a way in lieu of a reservation system
3: the first 3 days will see plenty of people coming that are staying off site or are locals because Disney has announced over and over again that there will be NO reservation. They won't change that.
Now virtual queue is possible and I would say that they will do it.

A reservation system is very unlikely for 3 reasons:
1; We have 33 resort hotels (on site and neighbors) here there is no way to get everyone staying at one of the resorts a reservation time per day
2: They have announced on several platforms about the EEMH starting Sept 1st for 2 months. they will not take those a way in lieu of a reservation system
3: the first 3 days will see plenty of people coming that are staying off site or are locals because Disney has announced over and over again that there will be NO reservation. They won't change that.
Now virtual queue is possible and I would say that they will do it.

I don't think those things absolutely rule out reservations, and the system won't necessarily need to work the same way as DL. Also note that Disney's official Galaxy's edge page does not say "no reservations":

"
Disney’s Hollywood Studios,
Star Wars
: Galaxy's Edge and its experiences are subject to capacity. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on Guest demand and other factors."

I don't think those things absolutely rule out reservations, and the system won't necessarily need to work the same way as DL. Also note that Disney's official Galaxy's edge page does not say "no reservations":

"
Disney’s Hollywood Studios,

Star Wars

: Galaxy's Edge and its experiences are subject to capacity. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on Guest demand and other factors."
how would it work here then? They can't give reservations just to a group of hotels. They would have a huge PR nightmare in their hands. There are just to many people in WDW resorts to be able to fit in one day at GE

I really wish they would do reservations for the core Walt Disney World hotels, no Disney Springs hotels included. Disney World resort guests deserve that for the extra they pay to stay there and this would be one of the best extras ever. BUT I understand the PR fallout that would occur so I get it. That being said I’m envious of how well controlled the SGE crowds are Disneyland. I really hope the virtual queue numbers are kept to a limit like the DL reservation are. It would be a huge shame if after the very smooth launch at DL the crowds at WDW ruin the experience for DHS SGE guests. Time will tell I guess. I’m VERY nervous right now for the DHS SGE launch though.

If Disney doesn't do some kind of crowd control when SWGE opens in Orlando, it's going to be a nightmare. There's only a limited amount of space in there and if everybody packs in at once, there's nowhere to go and it might get so crowded somebody is going to get hurt. Also tightly packed crowds would make it impossible to even get to the stores and do the "hacking" game that's part of the experience.

Without some way to mitigate the crowds, Orlando is setting the stage for a disaster. I hope they decide on a plan quickly and let everybody know about it.

What happens to all of the people who show up and can't get a reservation? That too sounds like a PR and security nightmare.
the land will have a capacity. Just like pandora did. For the first couple of days guests wanting to get into Pandora had to wait hours outside of the land in a line.
There will also be DHS capacity issues, I believe DHS will hit Phase 4 for a couple of hours on day 1. Meaning no one will be allowed into the park.
Same was as DL keeps reapeating that the land can hit capacity, is the same here.
Same as MK hits capacity during Christmas and NYE,
There will be no :reservation: to be gotten, it will most likely be virtual queue. You come to the park, probably go on the app and check availability. They will tell you, yes SGWE will be acceszible for you and your party at 3pm or they could say virtual queue is full for the day

I really wish they would do reservations for the core Walt Disney World hotels, no Disney Springs hotels included. Disney World resort guests deserve that for the extra they pay to stay there and this would be one of the best extras ever. BUT I understand the PR fallout that would occur so I get it. That being said I’m envious of how well controlled the SGE crowds are Disneyland. I really hope the virtual queue numbers are kept to a limit like the DL reservation are. It would be a huge shame if after the very smooth launch at DL the crowds at WDW ruin the experience for DHS SGE guests. Time will tell I guess. I’m VERY nervous right now for the DHS SGE launch though.
it's just not possible. WDW alone in their 25 resorts has 30000 rooms. Let's say that they are not all sold, and we are looking at only 15000 for one day being occupied. each room on average has 2 people, that's 30000 people to get reservation for one day at GE, not possible

it's just not possible. WDW alone in their 25 resorts has 30000 rooms. Let's say that they are not all sold, and we are looking at only 15000 for one day being occupied. each room on average has 2 people, that's 30000 people to get reservation for one day at GE, not possible

Right. And this is why I’m so nervous about the WDW SGE opening. Much bigger crowds.
But they don’t have to all go on the same day but a single reservation for each resort stay. You could even say three day minimum in order to qualify. But even then I’m sure there are just too many rooms. If we knew how many were in each wave at DL we could do the math.

Last edited:
the land will have a capacity. Just like pandora did. For the first couple of days guests wanting to get into Pandora had to wait hours outside of the land in a line.
There will also be DHS capacity issues, I believe DHS will hit Phase 4 for a couple of hours on day 1. Meaning no one will be allowed into the park.
Same was as DL keeps reapeating that the land can hit capacity, is the same here.
Same as MK hits capacity during Christmas and NYE,
There will be no :reservation: to be gotten, it will most likely be virtual queue. You come to the park, probably go on the app and check availability. They will tell you, yes SGWE will be acceszible for you and your party at 3pm or they could say virtual queue is full for the day

It will be interesting to see how quickly the virtual queue fills up

will lines start like hours before park opens so people that even get there before park opening, but not hours beforehand, will the land fill up and then the virtual queue fill up too? I mean, I get it that you can't expect to show up at like 4pm and get a spot but I remember back int he days of paper FPs and they would be gone for the day for Toy Story Mania within the first 30 minutes of the park opening. Will this be a similar situation?

Right. At this is why I’m so nervous about the WDW SGE opening. Much bigger crowds.
But they don’t have to all go on the same day but a single reservation for each resort stay. You could even say three day minimum in order to qualify. But even then I’m sure there are just too many rooms. If we knew how many were in each wave at DL we could do the math.

I think instead they are doing the 3 hours of extra magic hours every morning so that is the "perk" of staying on property (other than the first 2 days that everyone can access)

Obviously not the same as a reservation as likely will be more crowded, but at least you will be able to get into the land - I suspect that off property guests that show up at regular park opening will find the land already at capacity

how would it work here then? They can't give reservations just to a group of hotels. They would have a huge PR nightmare in their hands. There are just to many people in WDW resorts to be able to fit in one day at GE

Not sure how it would work, I am just trying to manage people expectations. It would be misleading at this point to tell people that there definitly won't be a reservation system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter