Resale VS Direct

evolady73

Earning My Ears
I am pretty well set on what we want for points and location. But I am not certain if I should buy entirely direct or if I should buy enough points for a 7 day Studio stay and then add on enough points for a 10 One Bedroom stay for a resale. If I got both of these points in the same use year, wouldn’t I be able to book either at 11 months out? Is there a good resource for me to read about resale points and what perks you lose. I would still want to be able to buy the DVC member annual pass.

In order to be able to book at 11 months out, both contracts would need to be for the same home resort.

To get the AP discount or other "Membership Extras," you would need to purchase at least a 25 pt contract directly. The AP discount is the only perk that has any significant financial value. Like all of the perks, it can be adjusted or done away with at any time.

Yeah, I wouldn't base current purchase of DVC on a membership perk. Those have never been permanent fixtures.

I concur with the previous poster. I recommend the re-sale route for the bulk of your points, then add on the minimum direct points to get the perks.

Heck, you've the the most important part of DVC purchase decision figured out (where and how many points). The next thing is completing your due diligence (always a good idea on this size and scope of a purchase).

Check out some of the many posts regarding DVC purchases Direct and Resale, and go to DVC resale sites to compare prices and costs (closing, commission, etc). There are so many resources to figure out what is the best way to purchase DVC for you, so take advantage of that information for your best interest.

Best of luck!

You can figure out the total number of points you want and then subtract 25 and find a resale contract to buy, and then add-on 25 points after you get your resale membership. This way you save the most money, but get the member perks. If you want CCV, the minimum is 50 point add-on.

You can figure out the total number of points you want and then subtract 25 and find a resale contract to buy, and then add-on 25 points after you get your resale membership. This way you save the most money, but get the member perks. If you want CCV, the minimum is 50 point add-on.
I would also round up if you are comparing contracts. Say you want 150 but only see 130 and 180, go for the 180+25. Addonitis seems pretty real. I already wish I had bought in with more than initially planned.

I am pretty well set on what we want for points and location. But I am not certain if I should buy entirely direct or if I should buy enough points for a 7 day Studio stay and then add on enough points for a 10 One Bedroom stay for a resale. If I got both of these points in the same use year, wouldn’t I be able to book either at 11 months out? Is there a good resource for me to read about resale points and what perks you lose. I would still want to be able to buy the DVC member annual pass.
Unless you're set on buying CCV it's almost always best to just buy resale first then add 25 points. If it's the same resort for both contracts you're referencing, I'd go resale and just add 25 points. It sounds like 2 contracts total may still be best since it's sounds like you're looking at 300-400 total points but you may want to do 2 different home resorts doing so depending on the specifics you're looking at. I would not go retail in this situation first unless that's the only way to get what you want AND you're educated AND experienced enough to count on that judgement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter