• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Requesting Recipe Information?

ParksPixar&Pizza

Mouseketeer
I had an excellent meal at Carthay Circle last weekand I know sometimes Disney will actually give you a recipe for certain things, but I was wondering what is the best way to tackle that? The Braised Short Rib with Gnocchetti Pasta was absolutely to die for...

I had an excellent meal at Carthay Circle last weekand I know sometimes Disney will actually give you a recipe for certain things, but I was wondering what is the best way to tackle that? The Braised Short Rib with Gnocchetti Pasta was absolutely to die for...
Usually people ask at city hall/chamber of commerce. Most of the recipes they have on file are already online, I'm not sure how they would handle a request for one of the menus designed by a named chef like Carthay. If you're not in the parks anymore, I'd start with an email to guest relations, ask DisneylandToday on Twitter or post on DL Facebook asking how to make the request and maybe contact dining reservations to see if they know.

Usually people ask at city hall/chamber of commerce. Most of the recipes they have on file are already online, I'm not sure how they would handle a request for one of the menus designed by a named chef like Carthay. If you're not in the parks anymore, I'd start with an email to guest relations, ask DisneylandToday on Twitter or post on DL Facebook asking how to make the request and maybe contact dining reservations to see if they know.

Thank you!

I wanted a recipe for a drink and just asked a bartender. Perhaps a server can help with food recipes

Many of the popular recipes are available online, so the OP may find the recipe already posted or find something very similar.

As others have said, Guest Services (City Hall or Chamber of Commerce) is the best place to check when you're in the parks. They have a binder with recipes that they can look through. Once you're home, your best bet is to contact Disneyland Guest Services via email (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/) and be as specific as possible. I've asked DisneylandToday (Twitter) and they've always pointed me back to Guest Services for that type of inquiry. Just note that I haven't had a lot of luck getting recipes for Carthay Circle (maybe because the menu changes seasonally).

Is there a particular website that has the recipes?

In general, I've had good luck with searching for the recipe with the terms "copycat recipe" in the search. From there you can find groups, discussions or even a list of recipes that look similar to what you want. I often put together recipes from 2 or 3 others that I find, to get the combination I'm looking for, if I can't find the exact copycat recipe.

Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to try. After thinking about it, I would love to try and figure out the Mai Tai recipe from Trader Sam's too....my god those things are INCREDIBLE. I wasn't able to go to Guest Services, as I am already home, so I will try to email Guest Services. I asked DL Today on Twitter and never heard back.

After thinking about it, I would love to try and figure out the Mai Tai recipe from Trader Sam's too....my god those things are INCREDIBLE.

I'll have to try the Trader Sam's Mai Tai. I did some rather extensive Mai Tai research on our visits to Hawaii. The following recipe came from magnet we got on the big island. We've made it several times and I have to say it's an excellent Mai Tai.

1 oz light rum
1 oz triple sec
1/4 oz lime juice
1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz orange juice
dash grenadine
1/2 oz dark rum

Shake all but the dark rum with cracked ice. Strain into old fashioned glass. Top with dark rum.

I have to say, the best ones were on the islands. I'm sure the beaches, breezes and palm trees didn't hurt. I imagine Trader Sam's has a similar effect. Now I'm going to have to turn my Hawaiian Pandora station on and mix us up a drink, or two, or three. :D

I'll have to try the Trader Sam's Mai Tai. I did some rather extensive Mai Tai research on our visits to Hawaii. The following recipe came from magnet we got on the big island. We've made it several times and I have to say it's an excellent Mai Tai.

1 oz light rum
1 oz triple sec
1/4 oz lime juice
1 1/2 oz pineapple juice
1 1/2 oz orange juice
dash grenadine
1/2 oz dark rum

Shake all but the dark rum with cracked ice. Strain into old fashioned glass. Top with dark rum.

I have to say, the best ones were on the islands. I'm sure the beaches, breezes and palm trees didn't hurt. I imagine Trader Sam's has a similar effect. Now I'm going to have to turn my Hawaiian Pandora station on and mix us up a drink, or two, or three. :D

Thank you! I can't imagine having a tropical drink in Hawaii...so lucky! But yes, being at Trader Sam's doesn't hurt either...Ironically, last night was the night I recreated the Trader Sam's Mai Tai after extensive research as well! I got it to be SO close too. SUCCESS. The recipe I found was 1oz. white Bacardi, 1 oz. dark rum, 0.5 oz. orange curacao, 1 oz. lime, 1 spoonfuls orgeat syrup and agave. I made my own orgeat syrup, which was SUPER easy and my state for some reason doesn't carry orange curacao so I subbed Patron Citronage. After experimenting, 1 oz. of each rum and citronage, a spoonful and a half of the orgeat syrup/no agave over crushed ice and it was PERFECT. Tasted so much like Trader Sam's. Only difference is no grenadine because I like it less sweet...I think it depends though on the recipe because some have tropical juices, some don't. I had another Mai Tai at George's on the Cove in SD and it was comparable to this one too, no juice (more pale white).

One thing I did notice about getting a recipe is that sometimes they're a bit 'generic'. For example, they sent me the recipe for Flo's Coca Cola BBQ sauce but one of the ingredients is 'your favorite hickory BBQ sauce'. Now either they don't want to 'advertise' the specific brand they use and 'doctor up' or they don't want to give you the specific, exact recipe. They also put a 'rider' on it that they make things in huge quantities and the recipe 'reduced' for family use may not taste exactly the same.

IF Carthay will give out a recipe (and their executive chef is, I understand, a wee bit 'particular') then it may not be his exact one.

The Trader Sam's Mai Tai is very close to Trader Vic's Original recipe from 1944.

A little more info-- http://beachbumberry.com/recipe-mai-tai.html

My only suggestion would be to use better Rum. The Mai Tai is a cocktail that showcases the Rums--the better your Rum, the better the drink. No one is sipping white Bacardi straight.

That other recipe is commonly referred to as a "Hawaiian Mai Tai". Lots of juice, much sweeter. It's an inferior drink. In general, any drink with grenadine is going to be a sticky sweet mess--most grenadine is nothing more than red sugar syrup. It was originally pomegranate flavored, but most brands gave the flavor up years ago. Try the Trader Vic's version--I think you'll like it!

Okole Maluna (bottoms up!)

One thing I did notice about getting a recipe is that sometimes they're a bit 'generic'. For example, they sent me the recipe for Flo's Coca Cola BBQ sauce but one of the ingredients is 'your favorite hickory BBQ sauce'. Now either they don't want to 'advertise' the specific brand they use and 'doctor up' or they don't want to give you the specific, exact recipe. They also put a 'rider' on it that they make things in huge quantities and the recipe 'reduced' for family use may not taste exactly the same.

IF Carthay will give out a recipe (and their executive chef is, I understand, a wee bit 'particular') then it may not be his exact one.

Which is all understandable...they don't want to give away all the secrets..I think I could probably figure out the Carthay recipe. It was a standard short rib with probably a wine/beef stock sauce and the pasta/pesto is the only thing i'd have to experiment with.

The Trader Sam's Mai Tai is very close to Trader Vic's Original recipe from 1944.

A little more info-- http://beachbumberry.com/recipe-mai-tai.html

My only suggestion would be to use better Rum. The Mai Tai is a cocktail that showcases the Rums--the better your Rum, the better the drink. No one is sipping white Bacardi straight.

That other recipe is commonly referred to as a "Hawaiian Mai Tai". Lots of juice, much sweeter. It's an inferior drink. In general, any drink with grenadine is going to be a sticky sweet mess--most grenadine is nothing more than red sugar syrup. It was originally pomegranate flavored, but most brands gave the flavor up years ago. Try the Trader Vic's version--I think you'll like it!

Okole Maluna (bottoms up!)

That makes a lot more sense because I did see many Mai Tai's that had a lot of juice in them. I don't like all the juice, so I definitely prefer the Trader Vic's/Sam's recipe! But definitely understandable to use better rum considering the whole drink IS basically rum. If you're making a juice filled one, it doesn't really matter. Thank you, OKOLE MAULA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter