Request Packing/Laundry Tips for South Africa

Forever a Princess

One bottle of ketchup is not enough!
Hello!

We are so excited. We are going to be doing our 1st ABD to South Africa in March/April.

What items do we need to pack?
(? binoculars for safari)

Do we need to bring a set of business causal clothes for dinner??

Do the hotels offer laundry service or is there some time to use the hotel's washer/dryers?

TIA

We received a small pair of binoculars in our Welcome Bags when we arrived in South Africa. You will want more than one pair. We brought 2 pairs and received 2 pairs - so 4 pairs for 5 people. You also want to bring lots of memory cards/sticks. We were in London for a week before South Africa. My husband and daughter took about 5,000 pictures during our trip.
Not sure what your weather will be like. We had winter. Lots and lots of layers were needed including hats and gloves. We also had quite a bit of rain. The weather while you will be there should be warmer, but layers is still the way to go. The safari rides are done around dawn and dusk. It is chillier then plus you are riding in an open air jeep - think brrrr!!

Business casual wasn't needed. Some dinners were at nicer places, but nice casual clothes were fine.
I had e-mailed the hotels before we went on our trip. The Southern Sun had laundry - but that's the first stop. I believe either Knysna or George had laundry services, but not both. I don't think any of them had laundry facilities. We brought several items that could be washed in the sinks - underwear, exercise and travel type shirts. That worked out fine. It would have been a pain to find laundry facilities to wash clothes. The time that isn't spent with the group is usually spent exploring other areas.

Hi Leslie (kidcoos),
My suggestions are like kidcoos. You don't need any nice clothes. I had a pair of business slacks, but they were not necessary. Since we had pretty cool weather, I just brought a bunch of shirts and then wore the same layers over the shirts.
The game drives were cold. Bring hats and gloves.
My husband bought all these quick dry clothes from Tilley. He would wash them in the sink and hang them up and they would be ready the next morning.
Also, the hotels had nice amenities, so you don't need to drag along shampoo or soap (only one hotel didn't have conditioner).
I always bring a small spray bottle. I fill it with water and spray my clothes lightly in the evening. Then shake them out and hang them up. The next morning they look much better, almost like they were ironed. (not really ironed, but not so crunchy).
You will have a great time.

Thanks ladies!

I ended up purchasing items from Magellan's, Tilley's and Eddie Bauer.

Africa here we come!

I have not done an ABD African trip but did a mission trip 2 years ago and it was late March and early April, we went to Kruger National reserve! While we were there it is beautiful weather, 70's, We wore shorts most of our trip but I agree you need a jacket, game drives are cool at night. Also be sure to take lots of sun screen, I got sun poisoning when I was not out long. You might need some motion sickness meds too, it was a life saver for us! A small flashlight might come in handy. That is all I can think you, have a great trip!

We were on the ABD S.Africa safari in December '09. This was the summer months and thus it was warm, but evenings as well as Cape Town were cool. Sunscreen is a must! And a hat and sunglasses for sure!

AS far as laundry, we used the hotel laundry service which was very expensive.But since I tried to stay in th 40lbs limit, it was necessary. However, we were told that we didn't really need to be under that limit. I brought alot of things that would mix and match and was very happy with that. I do wish I would have packed a few more things, like an extra pair of jeans. Many people on our safari had "safari clothes", however, i didn't feel like that was necessary and was fine with my white and tan everyday clothing.

I used 3 memory chips and took over 4,000 pictures.
Remember an extra battery!

I ended up scratching my eye due to contact lenses, wind and dust (on road to Kapama) and our guides went to great lengths to help me. luckily another adventurer has some antibiotic eye drops!

enjoy!!

We were on the ABD S.Africa safari in December '09. This was the summer months and thus it was warm, but evenings as well as Cape Town were cool. Sunscreen is a must! And a hat and sunglasses for sure!

AS far as laundry, we used the hotel laundry service which was very expensive.But since I tried to stay in th 40lbs limit, it was necessary. However, we were told that we didn't really need to be under that limit. I brought alot of things that would mix and match and was very happy with that. I do wish I would have packed a few more things, like an extra pair of jeans. Many people on our safari had "safari clothes", however, i didn't feel like that was necessary and was fine with my white and tan everyday clothing.

I used 3 memory chips and took over 4,000 pictures.
Remember an extra battery!

I ended up scratching my eye due to contact lenses, wind and dust (on road to Kapama) and our guides went to great lengths to help me. luckily another adventurer has some antibiotic eye drops!

enjoy!!

4000 pics, way to go!!!!:thumbsup2

Last time I went to Africa (Tanzania), I had a 35 pound weight limit. That was for the internal flights on tiny airplanes. For example, there were just the two of use with our driver waiting on a dirt airstrip in the middle of a savanna and a tiny plane flew in, the pilot came out - he said "Hi, I'm X, your pilot." There were no seat assignments because we were the only two passengers.

I used a duffel with wheels, but no extension handle - that cut out at least 5 pounds off other luggage. I brought bubble wrap and duct tape for souvies, old clothes to wear on safari and then leave at the hotel/lodge/camp (housekeeping could keep or recycle), some twine to use as a laundry line, liquid laundry detergent in a mini-shampoo bottle, a nice DSLR camera, a small back-up camera, meds and additional antibiotics for what-if situations, moneybelt for cash and credit cards, couple of books, nice binocs, extra contact lenses, back-up glasses, sun glasses, zip-off pants (two pairs of pants in one), flashlights, mini-LED lantern, diary and pens (to write my trip report), fleece jacket, snacks, and more. You can really get a lot in a small duffel if you put your mind to it.

I haven't been on the S. Africa ABD (I just made my reservation), but on the Galapagos trip it was completely casual, even at dinner. And on my previous safari, it was casual at dinner as well - and I stayed at some really fancy hotels, lodges, camps - at one lodge we had an honest to goodness butler!

I am starting to get interested in this info now (trip in Aug!) and would also like to know about souvenirs: what are some good ones, and where to buy them!

stuff made out of ostrich egg shells is popular. The government there has all kinds of programs to teach women to make handicrafts and jewelry to sell to support themselves, so there are lots of handmade things to purchase. The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront is a huge mall type of place in Cape Town. Plenty to buy there. The world cup (soccer) will be in south Africa this year, so I'm sure there will be tons of official FIFA stuff. (My son would be thrilled with that, we bought him some last summer when we were there).

In Knysna there were some silk pillow covers with elephants batik'd on them. I was sorry I didn't get a chance to buy one of those.

We joked the whole trip that we should buy a giant carved giraffe and have it shipped, didn't do it. There is a huge store in the airport in Johannesburg (where you may have a good amount of time as you leave) and that was a good place to get last minute souveniers.

The kids were just happy with t shirts and stuffed animals.

stuff made out of ostrich egg shells is popular. The government there has all kinds of programs to teach women to make handicrafts and jewelry to sell to support themselves, so there are lots of handmade things to purchase. The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront is a huge mall type of place in Cape Town. Plenty to buy there. The world cup (soccer) will be in south Africa this year, so I'm sure there will be tons of official FIFA stuff. (My son would be thrilled with that, we bought him some last summer when we were there).

In Knysna there were some silk pillow covers with elephants batik'd on them. I was sorry I didn't get a chance to buy one of those.

We joked the whole trip that we should buy a giant carved giraffe and have it shipped, didn't do it. There is a huge store in the airport in Johannesburg (where you may have a good amount of time as you leave) and that was a good place to get last minute souveniers.

The kids were just happy with t shirts and stuffed animals.

I love the idea of handmade items! I was hoping for some jewelry or scarves to bring back for my friends for Xmas. Thanks for the info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter