Reputable place to buy a pre-owned iPhone?

fifthdimensiondweller

DIS Veteran
Alright, I currently have an iPhone 6. Still works very well, but I've started to notice a few hiccups that might signal it'll be going in the next 6 months or so. I'm the type to use my phone until it breaks, but when the time comes, I think I may consider a pre-owned phone, depending on what the prices are like.

I'd be looking at an iPhone (6s and up)

I have AT&T if that matters.

Where is a reputable place for a used phone? Are pre-owned smartphones even worth it? I just don't want to end up needing to replace it six months down the line.

I just bought a refurbished iPhone at Gamestop.com. They have the lowest prices I've seen for used iPhones, and you can return it in store within a week if you don't like it.

I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to a 7+ a couple weeks ago and had a good experience.

Can I ask what kind of issues you are having? Do they seem software related or are they hardware related? If they are software related it could be as simple as (full back up first) wiping the phone and reinstalling fresh software. The 6 is only coming up on three years old, it should have quite a bit of life left in it yet.

Also keep in mind that there is not *that* much difference between the 6, 6S and 7. There will also be a new (or three depending on what rumors you read) model announced in September. Just a couple things to keep in mind before dropping a couple hundred bucks on a used phone.

That said, if you decide to buy from a third party make sure you have recourse if there is an issue. Ask for an IMEI number so you can check to make sure it's clear. If they won't give it to you, move on to someone else. If you buy locally do it at your provider's store so the phone can be transferred to you right away and you can make sure things are clear. The biggest issue with buying used iPhones is that people forget to remove them from their iCloud account and then refuse to take them off because they think you're up to no good. If it were me I'd stick to places like swappa, gazelle, game stop etc. where I'd have some recourse if something went wrong.

Can I ask what kind of issues you are having? Do they seem software related or are they hardware related? If they are software related it could be as simple as (full back up first) wiping the phone and reinstalling fresh software. The 6 is only coming up on three years old, it should have quite a bit of life left in it yet.

Also keep in mind that there is not *that* much difference between the 6, 6S and 7. There will also be a new (or three depending on what rumors you read) model announced in September. Just a couple things to keep in mind before dropping a couple hundred bucks on a used phone.

That said, if you decide to buy from a third party make sure you have recourse if there is an issue. Ask for an IMEI number so you can check to make sure it's clear. If they won't give it to you, move on to someone else. If you buy locally do it at your provider's store so the phone can be transferred to you right away and you can make sure things are clear. The biggest issue with buying used iPhones is that people forget to remove them from their iCloud account and then refuse to take them off because they think you're up to no good. If it were me I'd stick to places like swappa, gazelle, game stop etc. where I'd have some recourse if something went wrong.

Good suggestions! I was actually thinking that I might want to try doing a backup and full wipe. I did one a little while ago but I'm probably due for another. DH is much more tech savvy than me so maybe I'll have him do it tonight! Thanks! And good point about waiting until September- might be worth my while to wait since the price the the currently new models will go down in price even new. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter