report on Hampton Inn Maingate West

Sher

Mouseketeer
Hi guys!

I wanted to give a short report on our experiences at the Hampton Inn Maingate West in Kissimmee. As some of you might remember, this was our first experience offsite and I was very nervous about it. I got the Hampton Inn for $58 a night through Hotel Kingdom per the advice of someone on this site. We had reservations at the ALL STAR MOVIES, but were finding it difficult to pay $109 for the same room we paid $74 for last year. Anyways, we decided that with the cancellation of early entry this was the year to try offsite.

The hotel was very easy to find--just minutes off of I-4 on Rt 192. Upon check in we had to be insistent on a no smoking room. I had made my reservations online and noticed that the confirmation said smoking--since my family is very sensitive to smoke, I called the hotel directly and asked that it be changed. The person I talked to was very helpful and said no problem. Turns out she was the one checking us in. She said the GM had changed it back and that all the discounted rooms are supposed to be smoking rooms. I perservered since we were going to be there 7 nights and she was finally able to change it. The hotel was nicely decorated and carpeting and furniture all seemed to be fairly new. Our room was a standard Hampton Inn room. There was a good sized refrigerator (the larger version of a dorm fridge) and a microwave. The closet was on the small size for our family of 4, but there was an ironing board and iron in there too. My only complaint with the room is that the mirror and sink area were not seperate from the tub and toilet. This is difficult with everyone needing mirror time. I have found that this is not consistant amongst Hampton Inns--some have it some don't. Our experience with housekeeping was good.

We had no trouble getting to the parks each day. I asked at the ticket desk and she told me about a back road that got us right to the main WDW road in less than 5 minutes and we used that every day. We did encounter some stop and go traffic coming back at park closing time with a line backed up to exit onto 192. It seemed to me that anytime we were on WDW property the traffic moved right along, but the minute we exited it came to a stop. Must be pixie dust!!

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by our offsite experience. Having said that, we decded that next trip will be onsite. We found that a little of the magic was lost each day when we encountered the gaudy souvenir stands and the "theme park tickets for 12.99" signs everywhere. We are spoiled by the "caccoon" of WDW from our past trips. Still, I would reccommend that Hampton Inn Maingate West to anyone.

I guess this wasn't very short afterall. Sorry

Sher

I don't get the comments. May be I'm the one missing the Disney Magic. The room at Hampton is bigger, better appointed and you get a breakfast that saves $10-$20 a day then at All Stars. Amenities like coffee, fridge and Microwave are great with young kids. How was the pool area? Don't forget eating off site saves another 20%-30%. And finally Hampton has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Quick calc shows that you saved probably $500 staying there.

7 x $51 = $357 I will assume the difference in taxes pay for WDW parking @$6/day.
7 x $15 = $105 Breakfast for 4.
7 x $5 = $35 Coffee, food in fridge and microwave..... Who hasn't taken a yogurt or banana for power later in the day from breakfast.

Don't know if you rent a car and the difference between that

So I guess one day we'll have to see this 'magic' everyone goes on about.

Glad your back and had a good trip. I have some questions. How long would you say it took from "door to door" to get from the Hampton to MK? Since it is the hardest one to get to from off site I am assuming it took the longest. Did you go back to the hotel for a nap/rest time at mid-day? How did that work out if you did? Were there Suites available? How was the pool area? Thanks for your help, we just received a promotion from Hampton for $59 per night and that is a pretty good price. It is tempting!

Actually I just went to their site and they are advertising $49 rate. As far as I know MK is never a terrible drive and I've never found the distance onerous when coming from offsite.

Picture of pool looks plain. The hotel is small 118 rooms. May want to look at Homewood or Hawthorn which offer suites. Hampton's usually don't.

Also says there are shuttles. If you do drive the parking is good for the day, so you can come and go as you please.

Okay, let's see...

emmalgin--I didn't say that staying at the Hampton didn't have some advantages, or that it didn't save us money. The room was a little larger and the refrigerator was nice to have. In the past we have used our cooler. We did not use the microwave. Besides the free breakfast, which we definitely used, we did not eat meals off site because we go to the parks from opening to closing. We used our two free days at Sea World this trip so that day was park meals too. We did use the pool twice. It is a very non-descript rectangular pool that is not heated. The first time my girls went down there the water was too cold for them. We drive down so we don't rent a car. The magic I am talking about is possibly all in my head. On past trips we enjoyed being "in Disney" 24 hours a day. I am an over the top Disney fan so a accept that my feelings are irrational at times to the average vacationer. I hope my comments were still helpful to someone.

disneycrazymom--I have in my notes that it took 10 minutes to reach the parking lot for the TTC. Of course you have either the monorail or boat ride to reach the MK and that is hard to calculate since it depends on when you are able to board. We found the most difficult park to reach was the AK, but mainly because it wasn't listed on the signs and we ended up making a big circle before getting on the right road. The signs are clear as a bell and we had no problems. As far as the breaks are concerned, we often planned to take a break, but then decided against it. The trip back to the hotel was longer and it just seemed like by the time we got back we would want to turn around and return to the park. My kids are older (10 and 12) so we don't NEED the break like younger ones do. As I said, the pool is not that exciting, but would have been fine for my kids when they were younger. We don't get to swim much in March here in Illinois so we aren't picky. haha

Good luck with your trip planning.

Sher

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter