renting using points

I want to point out that if you want to make a specific room request, you can do it yourself, you don't need to have the DVC member do it for you. The reservation is still under your name. You can link the reservation to MDE and use it to reserve fastpasses.

We did a split stay last Fall using DVC points. We rented the first half from a broker (not David's) and the other half from a private DVC owner. It was a great experience. We saved a lot of money and stayed in resorts we could have never afforded otherwise. I made specific room requests (using the touringplans tool) and got exactly what we wanted at AKV, and somewhat what we requested at the Poly.

I want to point out that if you want to make a specific room request, you can do it yourself, you don't need to have the DVC member do it for you. The reservation is still under your name. You can link the reservation to MDE and use it to reserve fastpasses.

We did a split stay last Fall using DVC points. We rented the first half from a broker (not David's) and the other half from a private DVC owner. It was a great experience. We saved a lot of money and stayed in resorts we could have never afforded otherwise. I made specific room requests (using the touringplans tool) and got exactly what we wanted at AKV, and somewhat what we requested at the Poly.
You can make the request online but the options are limited. You can fax a more detailed room request to the hotel. But the most efficient way is to have the owner (who retains control of the reservation until the moment the renter checks in) do it.

AND, this is for everyone who rents and not specifically directed at the PP, PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR UPGRADED VILLAS OR VIEWS! With DVC, you get what you paid for. If you ask for more, they will take additional points from the owner's account to pay for it!

Thanks all!
I'm excited now
I got to thinking. .. we have a timeshare in Orlando that we enjoy so I'm used to taking out the trash no cleaning service etc so we'll be fine
We always extend our trip by an extra 5 or so days (we stayed at AOA) and local Orlando hotels but since we haven't been the past 2 years we are in full Disney withdrawal and always wanted to stay at the Poly
Keeping my fingers crossed
The deluxe studio looks really nice !
We stayed at the Poly for the first time last year and really liked the deluxe studio. It was only two adults in the room for us. It was really spacious and I love having the second bathroom! When we checked in at the resort, we asked them to put us in the far end of Moorea (sp?) so we could be close to the TTC. It was fantastic! I loved taking the ferry over to MK and just hopping on the monorail to EP.

We did this exact thing last year at Boulder Ridge, also used Touring Plans, and got the room we wanted. I wanted to add that you can request more room cleaning and towel service for a fee - we got service every second day - and it was plenty. I think it was $20ish/day so it was an extra $60 for our 8 day vacation. Compared to the $2500 I saved going through Davids, it was a no-brainer in order to have clean towels for two adults and two 15 year olds.

Make sure that you get cancel for any reason travel insurance. I had spent 5,000 in rented points two years ago. I ended up hospitalized and couldn’t go on the trip. Without the travel insurance, it would have been a huge loss!

Just to piggy back off this, you can also use a credit card with built in trip insurance. Many travel cards have the perk. Renting points can save you so much money, we've done it and it was well worth it. As others have stated, just make sure you have that bit of a safety net built in, as you're more "on your own" than you would be with a traditional booking.

Oh for pity's sake!!!

It's David's!!!!! We're allowed to say it. They are a disboard sponsor!!!! Let's all stop tiptoeing around the name and offering cryptic clues.
https://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp (AKA "David's Vacation Club Rentals")

:)

There's absolutely no problem with mentioning David's Vacation Club Rentals; as mentioned above, they're sponsors of the DISboards

And even if they weren't sponsors, to to make sure it's clear to others, it would still be OK to mention them. If by chance it's NOT OK, then the site automatically censors it. If we create fun little ways to talk about a site that should be censored, THAT is when we actually get into trouble.

And what's sad is that it's here, on this very Disney Resorts forum, that the sticky thread discussing this sits....

https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...travel-agencies-and-other-businesses.3551156/

Lynne do I get brownie points for knowing that? ;)

AND, this is for everyone who rents and not specifically directed at the PP, PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR UPGRADED VILLAS OR VIEWS! With DVC, you get what you paid for. If you ask for more, they will take additional points from the owner's account to pay for it!

Good to know!!

DVC has asked members not to bother faxing in requests because they usually just toss them in the trash. A non-member cannot contact Member Services to make a room request. Only the member can do that.

You'll need to make sure you do this with enough lead time. Most members book their home resort at 11 months out and see what is left at seven months out when all points are equal. Many times the brokers won't have owners wanting to rent out their points for the newer resorts, like Copper Creek or Polynesian or GF Villas. So you have to wait until seven months out to find out if you got it or not. Different brokers will not have different inventory on villas, they just have owners with different home resorts. So if one tells you nothing is available at XYZ resort for the time you want in the category you want, going to a different broker will not make it magically appear. Plan on not making any changes or getting any refunds if you can't use the reservation.

Whether you save money renting points depends on how much is being charged per point, what size & view villa you want, when you are going compared to what Disney is charging factoring in any discounts/promotions they are running on their cash rooms/villas. Studios via DVC are almost always less than a deluxe room at the same resort. Villas that require more points to reserve like 1 br.s may pencil out a lot closer to Disney’s discounted price. Since YMMV depending on what you want, it’s always good to run both sets of numbers and compare.

In 2016 we paid $243 a night at BWV by renting points.
Thanks everyone
So I called wdw and the villas were not avail to book for next Aug yet so I got a quote for a standard view room at the Poly
But on Dave's site they are showing a deluxe studio for my August dates -- next year at almost $1000 cheaper
Of course it's not guaranteed
I guess the flip side is waiting to see if and what deals are offered directly thru Disney for the same room OR putting in the request via Dave's knowing that if they accept it it's done deal .....

Thanks everyone
So I called wdw and the villas were not avail to book for next Aug yet so I got a quote for a standard view room at the Poly
But on Dave's site they are showing a deluxe studio for my August dates -- next year at almost $1000 cheaper
I guess the flip side is waiting to see if and what deals are offered directly thru Disney for the same room OR putting in the request via Dave's knowing that if they accept it it's done deal .....
Since DVC is a member owned timeshare, even members cannot book before 11 months out at their home resort. You'd want to contact David about 11 months out to see if he has a member with home resort booking advantage to get the villa you need. Disney doesn't usually get much in the line of DVC resorts that are sold out (CCV and Aulani are not sold out yet) until about seven months out.

Thanks everyone
David's website shows what the price would be for your stay. It does not show availability nor does it promise that they have an owner with sufficient points to book the stay for you. The tool is only for the purpose of estimating what it will cost you in the event that everything comes together.

As @Deb & Bill pointed out, even owners cannot book a villa for next August right now. 11 months prior to arrival is the rule for home resorts and 7 months prior to arrival for non-home resorts. August is generally not a high-demand period for DVC. Read as much as you can about renting points and be ready to book in September. Good luck!

My parents got the Poly for a week in September for $1200 by renting points. Everyone was quite happy.

Because OP is new to the concept, I'll share this, although many of the points have already been referenced. Good to have it in a single spot to read and understand:

When you "rent points" you are actually renting a reservation at a DVC resort made for you by a DVC member.
  • A member can book at the resort they own 11 months in advance, or 7 months in advance at any resort with availability. Availability at each window can vary, even at a resort they own. There is no guarantee to owners they can book where they own when they want.
  • The member will control the reservation until you check in.
  • Your booking is generally non-refundable and cannot be cancelled for refund due to the restrictions of a timeshare booking by the owner.
  • You will often need to pay in full up front, versus the $200/first night's stay deposit on a booking with Disney.
  • Any changes, special room requests or adding the dining plan have to be done through the owner. Dining plans must be paid in full at the time that they are added to the reservation because that's the way that DVC works.
  • Tickets, FP+ and ADRs are your own responsibility.
  • DVC units are not the same as staying in a hotel room. Aside from not getting daily housekeeping, you will not get 2 beds in a studio unless you're staying at OKW. What you get in a studio is a queen bed and a full sleeper sofa. Some studios will also have a Murphy bed that is smaller than a twin bed that will accommodate a 5th person. Most 2BR units are a 1BR+a studio, so if you're looking at a bigger unit for a larger group, know the bed set up.
  • You will have all of the advantages that any Disney resort guest gets (like EMH, access to the resort's theme pool, ADRs at 180+10, FP+ at 60 days prior to arrival, MBs) but none of the benefits that DVC members have (such as member discounts or events or Top of the World Lounge).
  • You will not qualify for any additional Disney discounts. You also are unlikely to get any kind of upgrade (and should not ask for one, as the owner who made the reservation for you may be charged for it).
  • Demand for DVC rental far exceeds the number of available units and owners willing to use their points for a rental. DVC is designed to be at or near 100% occupancy all year long.
  • Your chances of getting exactly what you want are much greater if you have lined up someone, who owns at the resort that you are interested in booking, at least 11 months in advance of the day you wish to arrive. The probability of success goes down from there.
  • A broker is a go-between between a renter and an owner. To meet your reservation request, they need an owner, with the right number of points, in the right use year, at the right resort -- AND the unit needs to be available. This can be a challenge to get alignment on.
  • In general, as a renter do not expect to book Boardwalk Standard Studios or 2BR, BLT Standard Studios or 2BR units, Grand Floridian studios, or Animal Kingdom Value or Club Level units. You can ask, but have backup plans (and budget, in the case of the Standard/Value units).
  • DVC "busy season" does not align to what people think of as high season at Disney, and starts in late September and runs through marathon. Epcot resorts and near-park can be hard for owners to book during Food & Wine.
  • Renting from a DVC owner can get you staying at a deluxe resort, in a villa-type room, for less than a standard room at that resort would cost from Disney. But it is non-refundable.
  • If there is any issue, Disney will not be a part of any fix, as your transaction is not with them.

You've received some great information. I rented points for November through an awesome Disser on the Rent board. She had references and has been on the boards for a while. I got a week at BWV for a little over $1300 coming out to $189 a night. I contacted this owner 12 months out so you really have to be on the ball, especially for the fall.

When you're discussing a business, we actually want you to use the URL. That way there's no worries for you about mentioning a name, because our site filter will automatically replace the URL of any business that can't be discussed here with stars - like this: www.************com.

There's absolutely no problem with mentioning David's Vacation Club Rentals; as mentioned above, they're sponsors of the DISboards and are talked about often.

David's rocks! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter