Renting Points and the Top of The World

GrnMtnMan

DIS Veteran
On my upcoming trip, I'm renting points from a DVC member and staying at the BLT. Not a DVC member myself.

Will I be able to access the Top of The World Lounge? I was initially under the impression that it was only for DVC members, but then I saw this (attributed by the poster to the DVC member website):

Due to anticipated high demand for this location, access is available only to Disney Vacation Club Members who are staying at Bay Lake Tower using their Membership (Vacation Points or cash), guests staying in the room with that Member, and guests who are staying in a room reserved by a DVC Member with Vacation Points. Access is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.

I will be a "[guest] who [is] staying in a room reserved by a DVC Member with Vacation Points". So am I in? Does it depend on the CM working that night? Not a deal-breaker if I can't get in, but it would be nice to experience.

Technically you are not a guest if you compensated the member for the reservation.

I thought I read somewhere that if you are staying at BLT with points (not cash) you can get up there. If that's the case, you're using points...does it matter that you rented them? It shouldn't!

Technically you are not a guest if you compensated the member for the reservation.
That's interesting. What am I then in this situation? Does DVC have an official classification for people renting points from members?

How about if the member is my friend and I'm not paying anything?

I would ask, can't hurt. I bet they let you in.
When will you be there? I'll be there 9/11 - 9/17...I'll sneak you in with me. :rotfl:

You should be fine.
I would suggest that you do not run around the resort annoucing "HEY! I paid some guy some money and he got me into BLT" ;)....IF anything is asked or said I'd just say that a very nice acquaince who is a member arranged for you to visit :)

Who is Michael?

erionm.

lots of folks put their real name in their signature.

That's interesting. What am I then in this situation? Does DVC have an official classification for people renting points from members??

"renter."

How about if the member is my friend and I'm not paying anything?

"guest" - as in your quote in the opening post. DVC does (well...did) make a technical distinction between compensated rentals and guest stays. but these days there is not really much of a difference...it most likely will depend on the CM and not your status as a "guest/renter."

I thought I read somewhere that if you are staying at BLT with points (not cash) you can get up there. If that's the case, you're using points...does it matter that you rented them? It shouldn't!

If you compensate a member for a DVC Point reservation, that member is supposed to inform DVC of that. That reservation would then be coded the same as if the reservation was made thru Disney's Central Reservations. The reservation would be flagged as a cash reservation, not a DVC member reservation.

Most members don't notify DVC of the compenstation, so the reservation would still be coded as a DVC Member.

erionm.

lots of folks put their real name in their signature.
I feel like I just answered 'who is buried in Grant's tomb?' wrong. I see it in big letters now.
"renter."

"guest" - as in your quote in the opening post. DVC does (well...did) make a technical distinction between compensated rentals and guest stays. but these days there is not really much of a difference...it most likely will depend on the CM and not your status as a "guest/renter."
Is it possible to point me to/post the language in your purchase documents that defines these classifications? I've reviewed my contract with the point owner, and it makes no mention of me being treated/classified differently from other occupants.

I feel like I just answered 'who is buried in Grant's tomb?' wrong. I see it in big letters now.

Is it possible to point me to/post the language in your purchase documents that defines these classifications? I've reviewed my contract with the point owner, and it makes no mention of me being treated/classified differently from other occupants.

Home Resort Rules & Regulations:
http://advc.disney.go.com/media/dvc...tions/HomeResortRulesandRegulations012011.pdf

See Section V. Member Benefits and Privileges, Sub Section 3. Making Reservations for Non-Club Members (Pages 14-15).

I thought I had to show my room key or DVC membership card to get up there.

What does it say on a renters room key? Is it listed as DVC since it was made with points or not since the points where not in there name?

From the Home Resort Rules and Regulations (you can download a copy from the member website).

III. 2. h. "Guests" are non-Club Members staying with or on behalf of a Club Member. Guests are not authorized to use a Club Member's Vacation Points to make their own reservations. Club Members may make a reservation on behalf of a Guest.

V. 3. 2) When a Club Member uses his or her Home Resort Vacation Points to reserve Vacation Homes on behalf of a non-Club Member, and the Club Member does not charge any rental or other fees to the non-Club Member for the reservation, the non-Club Member is eligible for all or some of the Club Member privileges and benefits that a Club Member would normally receive during his or her stay in the reserved Vacation Home. If the non-Club Member is renting, it is the responsibility of the Member to notify Member Services when making the reservation. Member privileges and benefits cannot be extended to non-Club Members who rent Vacation Homes from Club Members.

I thought I had to show my room key or DVC membership card to get up there.

What does it say on a renters room key? Is it listed as DVC since it was made with points or not since the points where not in there name?

Room keys for points stays used to all say DVC member. They no longer say that. I forget the exact language now, but some still suggest you are DVC (they say DVC room only or something similar) and apparently some cards didn't say anything like that at all. So in the beginning you were supposed to show your membership card, but many reported getting in with just their DVC-designated room card.

Then they changed the wording on the keys and it seemed that more had to show their blue membership card.

As stated above, it is probably now most highly dependent on the CM working the door but you should not be able to get in no matter what if you don't have SOMETHING saying DVC on it.

Not to be persnickety (or worse) but your owner is under no obligation to start explaining these fine points of ownership in their contract they use to rent you points, unless they are promising these things to you in the contract (which would be a mistake, IMO). The contract is for your lodging and any other incidental perks that Walt Disney World (note - not DVC) offers to all guests staying in a Disney resort -- so Magical Express, Extra Magic Hours, park transportation. And those things truly shouldn't be part of the contract either since the member has no control over them and if they were ended by Disney tomorrow, the owner could not live up to the contract.

GrnMtnMan, most owners are very protective of the areas of the resorts that are meant only for DVC members/guests staying on points. It was part of the DVC sales pitch and they'd like to see it's value preserved for as long as the perk may last. Please don't feel like you are being attacked for asking the question - I'm glad you asked instead of just arriving and then demanding access as some other renters may try.

In short: If your room keys are printed with "member" on them, you will be allowed to visit TOTWL. Consider it an unexpected bonus and enjoy! If they are not printed that way, nothing lost, right? :goodvibes There will be no way for sure to tell how they will be printed until you check in.

If you compensate a member for a DVC Point reservation, that member is supposed to inform DVC of that. That reservation would then be coded the same as if the reservation was made thru Disney's Central Reservations. The reservation would be flagged as a cash reservation, not a DVC member reservation.

Most members don't notify DVC of the compenstation, so the reservation would still be coded as a DVC Member.

Not quite - if you make the reservation from CRO you'd be entitled to the CRO perks - like daily housekeeping. I'm guessing if you had a CRO reservation and didn't like your room, they wouldn't charge you a fee to move (or tell you to pound sand). So the coding must be different.

Technically, NO MEMBER benefits are supposed to be extended to non-members who compensated a member for their points. SOME, but not all (and seldom specified - outside the annual pass perk - not available to anyone but the member and those residing in the household) member perks are made available to guests of members.

In reality, there isn't good ways for them to tell. Members are occasionally asked to show their member card - but a non-paying true guest wouldn't have that anyway unless they were traveling with the member. But since they don't specify which perks guests get, they either deny or allow based as much on if cast member chooses to enforce it as anything - and enforce via the DVC member card. Members are contractually obligated to make the distinction when they make the reservation, but I doubt more than a few people do - and since you are as likely to get told (wrongly) that you aren't supposed to rent points as have a smooth transaction, I don't know why anyone would.

Not to be persnickety (or worse) but your owner is under no obligation to start explaining these fine points of ownership in their contract they use to rent you points
Very true.

I was asking because I am a non-member, but I own a timeshare, have been on a condo board, and I work in the residential side of commercial real estate. I was trying to separate what was just fluffy language marketing material trying to make you think you bought into a special club and what was the 'legal-truth' in the nitty-gritty of DVC ownership documents. I've seen people on these boards misinformed and disappointed in their DVC membership when they realize they actually bought into a well-disguised timeshare, rather than exclusive or discount club.

I'm actually quite surprised there is official rules about renting. While most timeshares have restrictions on commercial use of your ownership interest, most do not differentiate amongst unit occupants. Mostly because its bad for owners/original buyers, not renters. Renters have lots of options and will only pay if the price is right, but owners are contractually obligated to pay to maintain their unit. I'd think owners would want the maximum number of possible uses of their ownership, without restrictions. The fact that renters might be treated differently than owners theoretically diminished the value of your asset since it places restrictions, though minimal, on your ownership interest.

Anyway, this was mostly a curiosity thing for me. I appreciate all the information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter