Renting from an owner with Interval International? Scam or no scam?

greenclan67

Callie35
Hi there,
I am going to try to explain it best I can!
I emailed an owner on Tugg boards, that had Westgate Town Center listed for a low ball price (like $200 a week) (yes I have read the reviews, we all have) and we are ok with it, and hope that it is alright.
So she called and offered a 2 bdrm for $400 a week, she said if that seems to high, make me an offer. We thought $400 seemed reasonable. I asked (via email) for all the things with using a new owner, rental agreement, references, and so on. She said she doesn't rent often and she could email me someone she rented to once. I decided to call Westgate to see if they could look her up as an owner, they said I would have to call her and have her lift a confidentiality hold for 24 hours and then they could give me that info. I emailed her and told her my concerns, she emailed me back with a direct number for a worker at Westgate, and her account number asking me not to share it, (which I wouldn't) I called and was told she was def an owner, and all dues were paid. We emailed back and forth for most part of the day.
My concerns come in, because a) she didnt' sound like she knew what she was doing? She must have called me 15 times yesterday, one time saying my reservation has been done, but she was locked out of her hotmail account and couldn't email me the certificate until it was unlocked, then she called another wanting addresses for people that were renting units with us, and then called back saying she had one done, then another one done. She did seem like she was trying very hard.
Anyhow, bottom line is, she has mine rented, and my other 2 families coming. She doesn't have a paypal account, and kept saying she hadn't figured out now how to get payment. We agreed upon half for a deposit and then she would send the certificates to us, and the rest paid 45 days prior to going. She did promise to send a me a certificate for my first week so I could see she wasn't cheating me, but when she got her "hotmail" unlocked she would send it. I got it but the certificate is in her name, and she told me that it didn't work out right, and they would have to send her another one in my name, but not to worry.
So if I send her the money for all the deposits, she would be getting $1000 from all of us, and I have nothing in my name, I have no idea how these certificates work, and I realize there has to be trust on both sides. But is there anyway I can check for a reservation in my name. I don't only have me relying on this, but 2 other families vacation. I am looking for any input as far as this goes. Sorry it is so long, but just not sure I am making the right decision, I feel like I checked her out as much as I could, I talked to her numerous times on the phone, but I honestly don't think she knew what she was doing AT ALL. We all ended up with 3 bdrms @ $400/week. My last phone call was at 10:15 pm last night, saying it was finally all done, and whenever she found her agent's name (cause he was new) she would be calling him for information about internet and activities as she is an owner!
Thanks in advance for any and all help!

my eyes glazed over with this...if something/anything sounds questionable when renting, run.

:eek:
my eyes glazed over with this...if something/anything sounds questionable when renting, run.

I know, I keep telling myself that she called so many times yesterday while she was doing this, could tell she doesn't do it often. I have her address,she is a New Yorker, her phone numbers, her account number for an owner, I still feel uneasy, and I am keep thinking it is coming from the fact that it isn't just me involved it is 2 other families and possibly a 3rd!!!!!!:eek: I can handle the possibility of my vacation being ruined but feel sick ruining other peoples vacation.
I really do believe she is being honest but at the same time, it is having nothing on my end to confirm everything before sending her any money!!!
I believe what she said is if she sent me all of the certificates, there was nothing stopping us from not paying her once we had the certificates, but I don't even have the one certificate in my name, for my first week, it is in her name? She said she would get it fixed and send me the new one. She has never pressured me for the money yet, she kept saying, she didn't know the best way to send her money, she thought she had to pay for paypal, and I couldn't imagine walking her through it to sign up. We had a agreed upon a money order, that I would send, but she didn't send me her address, that is where I get the feeling I can trust her, because she has never high pressured me at all to send her the money, just whenever I get it to her, then she would send the certificates.
Has anyone worked with these certificates and at least tell me that is the case? Once we have them after our deposits are sent and she sends them to us, is there anything that can be done, or is that all I need are the certificates? I am wanting to make sure that is the case!

I sort of glazed over also, but the word "certificates" raised a red flag for me. As a timeshare owner who infrequently rents out units, I am aware of others who illegally rent out exchanges they get through II and RCI. Both of those companies allow you to gift weeks to friends or relatives (which I have done myself) but specifically forbid any commercial use such as rentals. When you get a week for someone else, you have to get a document to put the exchange into the users' name. One of the companies calls them an Accomodation Certificate. I can't recall the name the other one uses. Maybe Guest Certificate. Her providing a specific phone number to call also sounds a little fishy. Since you have her account number, any employee there should be able to verify the ownership.

On the other hand, she might just be unfamiliar with the process, as I also am somewhat since I only rent our owned weeks under rare circumstances. I would also check how long the person has been a member of TUG and how many posts she has. Not a sure thing, of course, but I would trust someone who has been around for years and posted a lot of information more than someone who just joined and has two posts. Go with your gut. It's never worth being nervous about your vacation plans just to save a few bucks. Make a reservation that fits your comfort level and enjoy your trip.

Sheila

I sort of glazed over also, but the word "certificates" raised a red flag for me. As a timeshare owner who infrequently rents out units, I am aware of others who illegally rent out exchanges they get through II and RCI. Both of those companies allow you to gift weeks to friends or relatives (which I have done myself) but specifically forbid any commercial use such as rentals. When you get a week for someone else, you have to get a document to put the exchange into the users' name. One of the companies calls them an Accomodation Certificate. I can't recall the name the other one uses. Maybe Guest Certificate. Her providing a specific phone number to call also sounds a little fishy. Since you have her account number, any employee there should be able to verify the ownership.

On the other hand, she might just be unfamiliar with the process, as I also am somewhat since I only rent our owned weeks under rare circumstances. I would also check how long the person has been a member of TUG and how many posts she has. Not a sure thing, of course, but I would trust someone who has been around for years and posted a lot of information more than someone who just joined and has two posts. Go with your gut. It's never worth being nervous about your vacation plans just to save a few bucks. Make a reservation that fits your comfort level and enjoy your trip.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila, I do plan on calling back again today to just the direct line and see what is going on with that. This is a line from one of her emails that I am assuming is what you are talking about.

I need to pay a exchange fee/get guest certficate on each one I reserve today so I'm trusting all to commit to the rental.

Let me know ASAP so I have best choice for them

It sounds like it is her first time renting. I own and use Interval. There is a fee- 35.00 to get a guest certificate. So hopefully she will get everything right and the reservation will be in your name.

It sounds like it is her first time renting. I own and use Interval. There is a fee- 35.00 to get a guest certificate. So hopefully she will get everything right and the reservation will be in your name.

That is the feeling I get as well, that she has never done this, cause she did say she would like to start doing it more, and even offered if we enjoyed it this year to please get a hold of her the next time we were interested in renting. She even asked for me to take a group picture and send it to her.

Being that you own Interval, any way I can check that the certificate is in my name? And that everything is ok?

Ok, so just to follow up, and to get opinions, I just phoned the customer service line provided on the website westgateresorts.com and just got the first agent, asked if she could look up reservations for me and an owner with her account and they were able to confirm that everything was paid up and those dates had been reserved and she is def and owner! I do feel better now, can she still cancel after that?

Thanks Sheila, I do plan on calling back again today to just the direct line and see what is going on with that. This is a line from one of her emails that I am assuming is what you are talking about.

I need to pay a exchange fee/get guest certficate on each one I reserve today so I'm trusting all to commit to the rental.

Let me know ASAP so I have best choice for them

If she is paying an exchange fee, I would want more details. She cannot legally rent an II or RCI exchange. All might go well, or the exchange company might get wind of it and cancel the week along with her membership. If this is an internal Westgate exchange fee, then renting should be allowed, though I'm not all that familiar with their policies. The words "guest certificate" may or may not be associated with Westgate internal exchanges.

I think you mentioned that she had a guest certificate with the wrong name on it. I'd ask to see that and read it closely to make sure it was an internal Westgate exchange.

Sheila

Ok, so just to follow up, and to get opinions, I just phoned the customer service line provided on the website westgateresorts.com and just got the first agent, asked if she could look up reservations for me and an owner with her account and they were able to confirm that everything was paid up and those dates had been reserved and she is def and owner! I do feel better now, can she still cancel after that?

sounds like she is the owner.

but what you are paying is pretty low - unless Westgate has cut their maintence by 60% - which don't believe.

you can generally get Westgate pretty cheap on II and RCI - which are not surpose to be rented.

but don't think Westgate would even talk to you - if that was the case.

would you believe going to Westgate myself - when say never would - some of their building are now pet friendly - could not get Celebration World resort - so staying at Westgate again. (use to own it and believe me I hated the attitude of all the sales people and most of their staff)

it is a pretty resort!

remember no sales pitch - no matter what they call it- maintence meeting, free breakfast, don't remember the others

sounds like she is the owner.

but what you are paying is pretty low - unless Westgate has cut their maintence by 60% - which don't believe.

you can generally get Westgate pretty cheap on II and RCI - which are not surpose to be rented.

but don't think Westgate would even talk to you - if that was the case.

would you believe going to Westgate myself - when say never would - some of their building are now pet friendly - could not get Celebration World resort - so staying at Westgate again. (use to own it and believe me I hated the attitude of all the sales people and most of their staff)

it is a pretty resort!

remember no sales pitch - no matter what they call it- maintence meeting, free breakfast, don't remember the others

Yes, she did say she owns at Town Center! I have now gotten the certificate in my name for the first week which she promised me. I wonder if she is calling them certificates and they are actually reservations. LOL
It says my name, my address, my phone number, in a 3 bdrm/3bath from March 2nd to 9th. It is a 4 page ressie with all the amenities, and so on.
I would love to start getting excited!!!:rotfl2:
I have rented from the same owner for the last 3 years, and he had no points left until Jan for Cypress Point, didn't want to leave it that long!

So spicey cat, should we suggest a certain building, what are the pools like, hours, and I already have my hard hat on with the pitch! I was scared of Westgate to begin with for that reason, my hubby says he is just going to drink a half case of beer before going to check in!!!!! What about the area, restaurants, booze stores, and so on?

Eeeek, this is making me nervous as well. I purchased a week from someone and I do have an Interval International 'guest certificate' with my name, address and the reservation details etc. etc.

I guess I'm getting confused as to all the terminology here. Do they have to be owners at this specific property to be legally able to rent? My seller said he is a Marriott Vacation Club International timeshare owner and is using usage points for my reservation. Is this a violation of his agreement?

I think I am okay because I have the guest certificate/reservation in my name right? RIGHT?? ;)

Eeeek, this is making me nervous as well. I purchased a week from someone and I do have an Interval International 'guest certificate'.

if it says "interval international" then they are renting an exchange, which is against II policy. if II discovers that they are renting the exchange, II has the right to cancel the reservation immediately and terminate their membership.

if they own a marriott week, they would have the right to rent that week. but if they send you paperwork with "interval international" on it, you are taking a risk and would be on your own if II cancels the reservation.

It says my name, my address, my phone number, in a 3 bdrm/3bath from March 2nd to 9th. It is a 4 page ressie with all the amenities, and so on.

sounds like an interval international confirmation. the 4th page is a vacation evaluation survey, right?

well, you roll the dice and take your chances...

Thanks for the clarification. Very annoying because I as the buyer don't know what the owners agreement is/says. I'm just the one who could get screwed!

I paid via CC so I have some protection there and we are going on an off week so I assume we'd be able to find other arrangements.

But yeah annoying that this person is selling something he/she has no right to sell!

This is what is on the bottom of my reservation and there is no survey. NO money has crossed hands yet!!!
She sent me my one week in good faith and will send me the others after! She said she is an owner at Westgate Town Center, and she had weeks to use up because she didn't use them last year, and she deposited her 2013 weeks so she could get me 3 rooms total for family. Now I am afraid again, cause it is not just my vacation it is 2 other families as well.

Anyhow, this is what is on the bottom of my ressie!

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Interval International Guest Certificates may be purchased by active members who have placed a request or already
received confirmation of exchange accommodations from Interval. Guest Certificates are issued to the recipient
only after the exchange accommodations have actually been confirmed.
The assignment of an exchange week via an Interval International Guest Certificate voids the right of the member to
use the exchange accommodation, as well as the home resort week, relinquished for exchange.
Guest Certificates are valid only for the vacation dates and accommodations indicated on the face of the Certificate.
Guest Certificates may be used only by the individual(s) named on the Certificate, are non-transferable, and may not
be sold or used for commercial purpose.
The requestor of a Guest Certificate warrants that the recipient of the Certificate is at least 21 years of age.
The member who requested the Guest Certificate will be held responsible for the payment of any damages and/or
replacement of missing items in the resort unit or on the resort premises for the time period assigned to the guest.
Additional people may accompany the Guest Certificate recipient, provided the travel party does not exceed the
occupancy limit indicated on the face of this Certificate.
Use of the Guest Certificate and resort accommodations is subject to any conditions imposed by the resort.
Interval International reserves the right to revoke this Guest Certificate should any of these Terms and Conditions
be breached.

This is what is on the bottom of my reservation and there is no survey. NO money has crossed hands yet!!!
She sent me my one week in good faith and will send me the others after! She said she is an owner at Westgate Town Center, and she had weeks to use up because she didn't use them last year, and she deposited her 2013 weeks so she could get me 3 rooms total for family. Now I am afraid again, cause it is not just my vacation it is 2 other families as well.

Anyhow, this is what is on the bottom of my ressie!

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Interval International Guest Certificates may be purchased by active members who have placed a request or already
received confirmation of exchange accommodations from Interval. Guest Certificates are issued to the recipient
only after the exchange accommodations have actually been confirmed.
The assignment of an exchange week via an Interval International Guest Certificate voids the right of the member to
use the exchange accommodation, as well as the home resort week, relinquished for exchange.
Guest Certificates are valid only for the vacation dates and accommodations indicated on the face of the Certificate.
Guest Certificates may be used only by the individual(s) named on the Certificate, are non-transferable, and may not
The requestor of a Guest Certificate warrants that the recipient of the Certificate is at least 21 years of age.
The member who requested the Guest Certificate will be held responsible for the payment of any damages and/or
replacement of missing items in the resort unit or on the resort premises for the time period assigned to the guest.
Additional people may accompany the Guest Certificate recipient, provided the travel party does not exceed the
occupancy limit indicated on the face of this Certificate.
Use of the Guest Certificate and resort accommodations is subject to any conditions imposed by the resort.
Interval International reserves the right to revoke this Guest Certificate should any of these Terms and Conditions
be breached.

^exactly what mine says also.

The above is probably the line that could get owner in trouble...

Mine has my name on it as well! So I don't know what to do. I honestly don't believe she is trying to scam me, at all. She has been over the top great to talk with, she called me again today to say she got my 3 bdrm for the 2nd week as well, ( it was originally a 2 bdrm but she deposited her 2013 weeks she said)
I do remember her telling me she owns a 4 bdrm there, and she splits in up into a 1 bdrm, 1 bdrm and a 2 bdrm, so that way she can get 3 weeks, but she had weeks she hadn't used yet from before. So she had enough weeks to do 3, 1 weeks in 3 bdrms, and then she had to deposit her 2013 allotment to do my 3 bdrm for the 2nd week. So that means what? This is probably why I rent timeshare, not own it! LOL

I would think she is not scamming you in the sense that she probably does want you to go and get to stay as she indicated. But what it sounds like is that she may not really have the right to sell this to you.

And if II finds out that it was sold and not given to you (because it sounds like they can give these weeks to friends and family), they may cancel your res.

We are in the same situation. I am not that concerned because it is just my family and it is an off week so I'm confident I'd be able to find some place to stay. And it's not like my seller plans on telling II that I paid him (and I won't either now that I realize they might cancel my week if they find out). It's a lesson learned for me.

I'm not sure what I'd do in your situation. But if you do go forward with her, I'd demand PayPal or cc. At least then you could dispute the charges if the worst happened right?

I just thought of something, she did say about saying we were family and friends, but she providided me with her account number for Westgate Town center, so I could call and verify she was def an owner, and when I called, the agent actually asked me if I wanted to book right through her on the phone.
So I don't think there will be a big worry I guess with them as long as they don't know we paid her. I don't know, I will talk to her in the morning and see what she says!
Thanks for the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter