Renting a Trailer for Delivery to Fort Wilderness?

Brian McGee

Earning My Ears
So we have a family of 5 (kids will be 14, 11, and 8 when we go) After 2 trips of getting connecting rooms at the Pop Century, we are considering Fort Wilderness, since my wife and I both stayed there as kids and had fond memories. The cabin rentals are way out of our price range. A co-worker suggested we look into local companies who will rent trailers and deliver them to Fort Wilderness. They take care of set up and breakdown, we just have to sit through a few minutes of trailer care training and we're off. That way our kids get the camping experience and don't to suffer while Dad spends hours failing to figure how to back it into the space.

Has anyone done this? Are there trailer rental places you would recommend? I saw a few places that looked good on the web (don't they all). All things being equal, I'd rather use a local outfit than a chain. Any hidden charges or other issues I should watch for?

We will only do this if we can find a reputable company and can stay in one of the preferred loops. As many Disney trips as I've planned, this is new territory for me.

Brian,

On my trip to the Fort back in March I saw many Class C (cab-over) type RV's from Camping World (RV chain with locations that sells and rent RV's) and Cruise America (rentals only). You might look for a web link and see if you can find a unit to rent in the Orlando area to minimize mileage charges. The CA has a location in Kissimmee that I've looked at before (can't pick up or drop off on Sundays as I remember).

Of course you would have to add the cost of a Preferred/Premium/Full campsite to the cost of the camper. It might be close quarters for 5 people and I don't know if it would be cost-effective but it is another option to consider.

Bama ED

Theres a person on this site that does it for less than a cabin, I believe its campatthefort.com, Tina. I have read good reviews about her, I hope I dont get in trouble for posting, but I read others..

Hi there! I just wanted to throw out there that depending on when you are traveling, sometimes the cabins are discounted. 2 years ago when we went at the end of August, we got a 30% off discount...brought the cabin down to the low 200's a night (maybe $220?)

Although I think it would be a fantastic experience to rent a trailer...it will add up to almost the same price (renting the trailer and paying for the site) I paid for the cabin. Of course if you pay full price for the cabin, that would be much more expensive.

Have fun deciding :) Let us know which way you decide!

Thanks for the input from all. Part of the advantage of renting a trailer (we have looked into Moore camping rentals and it sounded great) as opposed to a cabin was that it was big enough to fit all of us but we could also take advantage of a fantastic location (1, 2, or 300 loop). Looks like this option is about 50% more than 2 rooms at All Star Sports after the discount they're running. So odds are it will be one of those 2.

This has all been very helpful and am certainly open to any other suggestions.

We are going to go for it this Dec.

Here is the group we went with:

http://www.mcrfl.com/Fort_Wilderness_Packages.html

good luck!!!

;)

After looking at all the options, we reserved a 30' trailer with these folks for August 17-25. Just got off the phone with Disney for the campsite at FW. Total cost between the trailer and the campsite is just under $1,700. That includes all fees, taxes, etc. It's only about $400 more than us getting 2 rooms at the All Star places. Of course, the downside is that the 3 kids are already calling dibs on the 2 top bunks. But I'm sure we'll figure that part out.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Looking forward to this unique way to experience Disney, 99 days to go! :banana:

Brian,

Two more points to keep in mind.

First, in your cost comparison remember that All Star is a Value resort and the Fort is classified as a Moderate. So a better apples-to-apples comparison would be the Fort versus, say, Caribbean Beach Resort. Then the cost differential might not be as significant.

Second, camping and RVing is a lifestyle choice. In your trailer you are closer to the outdoors, a little more connected to people (have you ever met the people at All Star in the room to your left, the room to your right, above or below you?). Campers are pretty social folks so it's likely you'll meet a neighbor or two during your stay.

Have fun in August (better pack the sunscreen).

Bama ED

After looking at all the options, we reserved a 30' trailer with these folks for August 17-25. Just got off the phone with Disney for the campsite at FW. Total cost between the trailer and the campsite is just under $1,700. That includes all fees, taxes, etc. It's only about $400 more than us getting 2 rooms at the All Star places. Of course, the downside is that the 3 kids are already calling dibs on the 2 top bunks. But I'm sure we'll figure that part out.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Looking forward to this unique way to experience Disney, 99 days to go! :banana:

PLEASE give a quick review when you come back!

:yay:

Will do. I've been impressed with them through the reservation process, but obviously the proof will be when we stay in their trailer.

We looked into renting and finally decided to go with greenbergrvflorida. They have been so great to work with and are super quick to respond. The prices are great and we can't wait to get down in July and camp at The Fort:cool1:

We have a travel trailer and seriously considered hauling it to Disney but with the difference in gas between my Titan and my Pilot, we opted for the Fort Wilderness Cabins, again. We managed to get 4 nights with 4-day park hoppers and "free" dining for $2556 for 4 adults in September. The number looks sort of big but when you break it down it is only $639/person. We really love Fort Wilderness. It gives us a little peace and quite time in between park visits.

I priced other resorts but just couldn't see paying more for villas with no "outdoor" feel to them or paying less for cramped hotel room.

We have stayed at Fort Wilderness 5 times. I have resorted to going every other year so I can save up the extra to stay at a moderate instead of a value.

I did inquire into renting a travel trailer but that would mean I would have to cook or fork over the disney prices for meals. Our best bet was the plan we have.

Hope everyone has a great Disney trip and be safe! :banana:

PLEASE give a quick review when you come back!

:yay:

So we are just back and can't recommend both the experience of renting a trailer in Fort Wilderness or Moore Camping any more highly. We typically spend very little time at the hotels because our kids love the parks so much but we did quite a bit at the campground and wish we had more time. They threw in a golf cart with our rental, which if we did through Disney would have been almost $500 based on how long we stayed.

One other advantage to this type of arrangement was that we could stay close to Pioneer Hall, which is not possible when renting a cabin at FW.

Camping is certainly a different lifestyle than a hotel (bathrooms are tiny for example). But we had a great time on this trip and the kids are already requesting that we keep the exact same accommodations as this one. It was definitely a different way to see Disney, and we are already counting down until we can do it again.

I think you'll be happy with this family business and the experience of the Fort!

I am so glad you enjoyed it! I am now REALLY looking forward to our trip... Thanks so much for reporting back from the wilderness, pioneer!

(Which trailer did you rent, btw? I think the one we have reserved is #7...)

Brian, it was good to hear that you and your family had a good stay at FW. I am currently planning a stay at FW in oct.2013 and renting from Moore just as you did. It sounds as though they are a very reliable company. BTW which loop did you end up camping at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter