Renting a car versus ground trans such as Mears, Tiffany, etc??

BC

DIS Veteran
From what I can find out, it cost about $60 to take ground trans from the airport to Disney. (4 adults) Why would it be advantageous to do that versus renting a car at the airport and being able to use it whenever we wanted to? Let me know if I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be much more than that to rent a car for 5 days, would it?

We have used Mears in the past and thought it was horrible at least for our needs. We waited 2 hours so it would fit their schedule and it took a little over 2 hours to get to our hotel because we kept stopping at every hotel along the way and letting different passangers off at other locations on our way to Disney. When we took it back to the airport (again on their schedule) as soon as we stepped off the van just as he was pulling away my daughter had noticed she had left her bag under the seat. I had a cell phone so I immediatley called there dispatch. They didn't know whre the driver was or how to reach him nor would they attempt it. We never saw the bag which also had a piece of camcorder equipment in it. I will never again use them. We will be renting for about $120 to have a car for 8 days. We can come and go as we please, eat off property or go shopping, visit the beach or whatever else we choose to do. Well worth the additional $60 or so. I'll save that by eating off sight for a couple of meals if I wanted. Even if money were an issue and I was on a tight budget I would save somewhere else before I would consider Mears. It's just not worth the inconvieniance. Guess I sound a little disgruntled.

We always rent a car. It is a little more than gound transportation, but it gives us the freedom to venture out of the world to eat and to buy souvenirs at the Character Outlet saving big bucks. I looked at the evaluation from using TTC which was going to cost us about $90-100 including tip. I rented a car for $130.00, plus $12.00 gas and $6 tolls. We used to to get quickly to CR for the electric water pageant the first night. We would not have had time to use disney transportation to get there because of time, and that was the only night we could go. Then I used it to get to Character store where we bought the exact stuffed animals dressed in safari for $6 which were $12 at AK--also got t-shirts for $6, and christmas sweatshirts for $9 a piece. We also used the car to easily tour the other resorts. In addition, because our room was not convenient to any bus stop at CSR, and because my DM, who was with us, tired easily, we actually drove the car to the bus stop and parked, so that we could get in our car and get back to the room without all the walking. It was worth every extra penny.

We rented a car last time and are doing so next month. I refuse to depend on Disney transportation, I like the freedom to go where and when I want without transfers or waiting. I also don't see much of a savings and the convenience outweighs the small increase.

We Have to do both...lol. We're coming in by train as of yesterday (we were going to drive down), but DH wants a car available. All car rentals locations not at the airport are closed by the time our train comes in, so Tiffany Towncars is picking us up @ the train station and bringing us to the airport so we can pick up our rental and then the reverse when its time to come home. Its $75 round trip for Tiffany's.:bounce:

Our trip is in July and all planned except for the rental car. Im pretty smart, but every time I try to book a car I get so confused by the add-ons, etc I cant tell if Im getting a good deal or not! How much should I expect to pay for 8 days? I looked on expedia, but one place it will say $109 a week and then when I click the link it comes up with $159 a link. Is it better to book on the rental car company's web site?

Thanks!

Sheila

we all ways rent a car or a van of some sort......love to have a car to go anywhere i want....plus we have handycapp sticker for my son johnathan so we park very close to the parks and we allso have a special stoller we use at the parks for him......we allso love going other places other then wdw......like seaworld and places to eat........plus we are staying in the cabin and we are able to park our car right next to the cabin so we just jump in the car and go......car rules for us..........tammie:bounce: ::) :sunny:

We always rent a car. I found that I do better on the car web site. We are renting from Dollar for 9 days this August for 150 plus the tax. When you make your ressies use the code DWEB print the coupon and you should get a good rate. The one week rate was $106.99 for a 4 door intermediate size. I got a one class upgrade coupon. If you have time do a search on the old buget board there is alot about it. When you make your ressie make sure you print out the confirmation. The taxes are all broken down for you. :pinkbounc

We actually enjoyed having the convenience of having Tiffany Towne Car pick us up guide us with ease around the airport as well as helping us with our luggage and then not have to worry about dropping off a rental car on the way back to the airport but instead have someone else drive us and drop us off. We are last minute people so it worked out well. Also, we like to stay at monorail resorts and would use a rental car very little if at all. If you are interested in Tiffany, there is coupan at their site too. Deb is the woman that makes the reservations and she is a doll. The driver we used was Berkley and he was fantastic. A++ service. Have a great trip. Carolyn

I had been planning to rent a limo(6 in our party). It was going to cost me $165+tip. The more I thought about it, the more I liked having a van at my disposal. This way I can go to the store, out to dinner off property, or just nor depend on disney transportation to get to some of the parks. I went through priceline(which I had never done before). I was able to get a mini-van at Budget for 7 days in August for $210(that includes taxes, fees etc.) The convenience will be worth it. :p

Im going to check Budget out right now.. thats a great rate! I dont know why Im so intimidated by car rentals.. your advice will help me alot Denise :)

Sheila:)

We also decided to rent a car. I figured by time we paid for the transfers to and from the airport ($80) and took a shuttle from Disney to Universal ($36) it would be better to rent a car. I call and added the car to our reservation and it was only $100 more so to me it was worth it. Michelle :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter