Renting a Car at the Orlando Airport

Olivia

Earning My Ears
I know this will probably sound a bit stupid but I have never rented a car before. My family is planning a trip to Orlanto to Disney and surrounding areas next April and I would love to know some do's and don'ts.

Do I need any kind of special US insurance?

Any help would be greatly appreciated -

Thanks!

Olivia

Re renting a car in Florida...If you have a car now call your insurance agent and ask him what coverage you have that is applicable to a rental in the US. Also some credit cards also cover some or all of certain types on insurance if you pay for the car on your card. Find out all that info first so you won't be talked into paying for insurance you don't need. If you have a membership to CAA you might get a better deal up here than just booking it and paying when you get there. Check with you travel agent some holidays include or a car can be added to a holiday package for a smaller sum then you just booking it yourself. Decide what type of a car you will need size for # of people and luggage. ( Pick up a travel book at a travel agents' and there is usually info on size and luggage amounts and it will tell you what you will need). One year I asked my TA how much to up-size and I was told $30/day CDN. so I decided to take a chance that everything and everyone would fit (we didn't) but when I asked right at the car rental outlet I was told it was $8/dayUS, quite a difference!! Hope this helps.:)

Hi Olivia. In case it helps, Avis, National, Budget, and Dollar are the rental companies which are located at the airport. If you have a choice, it's generally a little easier to use one of these than have to take a shuttle to one of the off-site rental companies.

Check out discussion topic titled: CIBC Aerogold VISA
There's a few insurance issues there that may be of interest.

Hi Olivia!

Here are a few of my tips:

If you are planning on booking a car yourself (rather than one included in a vacation package), the sooner you start looking for rates the better. Rental rates are continually fluctuating! Just be sure you read the details to ensure you are allowed to cancel. Most car rental companies in Florida have online booking available. If you find a decent rate, book it. Keep copies of ALL confirmations. Then, if the rates go up, you're safe. And if the rates drop, you can cancel and book at better rates. [hope this makes sense!]

Join any/all car rental companies preferred member programs if they are offered for free! This will often (not guaranteed) give you a chance to avoid long "regular" lines, and sometimes offer extra discounts.

Check your credit cards or personal car insurance to see if they offer any coverage or discounted coverage for car rentals.

PS: No such thing as a stupid question! Whenever any of us have questions, you can almost always find the answer here! Lots of people with great info to offer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter