rental car for 4 adults/1 child in car seat--is a Ford Taurus big enough?

Susanne

Earning My Ears
Sorry, I know this question isn't Disney-specific, but I'm hoping someone can help anyhow. Renting a fullsize car (e.g., Ford Taurus) is significantly cheaper than a minivan. I'm just concerned about how we'll all fit in there. Probably the only time we'd all be in the car together would be to and from the airport.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Susanne

I guess it would really depend on size of the adults planning on riding in the back with the baby. If they are on the small size, I'd say no. If it's two large men, then I'd say no. The back of a Ford Taurus isn't that large. My neighbor has one and has uses it sometimes with her three kids and it's a VERY tight fit with the three kids in the back. If it's only for teh 30 minute ride, you should be fine, albeit a little squished!!!!

You might also want to consider how many suitcases you'll have, and the trunk size. I think the Taurus has a fairly good-sized trunk, but with 4 adults you might run out of storage space, and putting them in the back seat won't be an option! :D

Also take into account the size of the carseat. These can easily take up more width than a small adult.

Try pricing 2 smaller cars. It might be cheaper than 1 van.

Peg

I have 2 Taurus station wagons. The first is an older model ('93) and has VERY little legroom in the back. When we began looking for a new car a couple of years ago, I almost didn't even look at the new Taurus wagons because of that.

It's a long story, but I did wind up looking at one and found that the 2000 had much more leg room than my older one. I haven't been in the '02, but it's probably similar. If you have average sized people, you'll probably be fine just going from the airport and back (JMHO).

A couple of years ago my SIL and our two DDs rented a Mustang convertible (talk about NO TRUNK SPACE!!! LOL). We made it fine for that short distance (of course, we dumped the luggage immediately!).

I think there's a good chance you'll have problems getting all the people and luggage in the car. Would it be possible to send one person on Mears or some other form of transportation? Ideally, you'd see if you all fit in the car before you made the decision, but it might be better to just send one person on Mears with several suitcases right from the start so that you'd have a better chance of arriving at similar times.

Go to a local Ford dealer and look at the trunk. Unless you pack light you won't have room for luggage. Intrepid/Concorde have about the biggest trunk of any full sized car.

i've reserved a minivan at a pretty good price ($209.99/week plus taxes) through Dollar. although i think we could probably squeeze into a fullsize car in a pinch, i don't want to be worrying about space from now until the time we get there, and agonizing over every little thing we pack (which i do already).

Susanne

I've owned Taurus' for years. Everything that was said above regarding trunk space and fitting adults in the back with a car seat is correct. You did the right thing going with a van - you would have been squashed into a Taurus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter