Reliable transportation Airport to Universal

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
I've been reviewing many options for my DS and I to get from MCO to Universal. We are staying onsite but don't have a package booked. As I read reviews I get more confused (don't take a taxi, try Uber, bad shuttle reviews). What is a reliable, reasonably priced way to make the trip?

What do you, my Canadian neighbours, use to get around in Orlando (no car rental)?

Last edited:
We've only ever driven so I don't have any first hand reviews myself but many people on the Universal boards on here rave about Tony Hinds. There is a thread in one of the Universal Boards about him. He's apparently excellent and very reliable although I have no idea the price.

I've been reviewing many options for my DS and I to get from MCO to Universal. We are staying onsite but don't have a package booked. As I read reviews I get more confused (don't take a taxi, try Uber, bad shuttle reviews). What is a reliable, reasonably priced way to make the trip?

What do you, my Canadian neighbours use to get around in Orlando (no car rental)?
Tony hinds provides excellant service. Many rave reviews on the universal boards for him. We booked him for this past November and would use his service again. It was $50 from the airport to universal and we went from universal to disney and that was also $50. We tipped $10 each way. His customer service is the best!
You can contact him by email: aobh607@yahoo.com

Here's 2 threads with more info on options:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/transportation-to-from-airport-from-universal-resort.2793369/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/tony-hinds.3616257/

We usually take Uber or Lyft, which ever one is showing cheaper. It usually runs about $25 and I can find discount codes online before the trip.

We use Tony too! Very reliable and highly recommended. Our late night flight got delayed and the driver was still waiting for us when we arrived. We paid extra tips for the inconvenience.

We’ve used Uber with good results. I agree with the others though, I’ve been reading excellent reviews for Tony Hinds for years on the Universal Boards. I don’t think you can go wrong there.

I've been leaning towards Tony. I was just having trouble justifying it for the two of us. Then again I want to get to Universal without incident and Tony seems like the way to get that done. I've just heard so many questionable reports about taxis and various shuttles.

I think I will go ahead and bite the bullet. One more thing done. Thanks everyone for your responses.

I booked my family with Tony for this August because of all the great reviews here. This will be our first time with him. We're a family of 4 though, with maybe a 5th joining us.

Another vote for Tony Hinds car service, I would completely recommend his service to everyone. We used his service for December trip, very late arrival, met at the luggage area and quick walk out to van. Safe driver, very nice driver. Very highly recommended.

I've been leaning towards Tony. I was just having trouble justifying it for the two of us. Then again I want to get to Universal without incident and Tony seems like the way to get that done. I've just heard so many questionable reports about taxis and various shuttles.

I think I will go ahead and bite the bullet. One more thing done. Thanks everyone for your responses.

We are also a party of 2 only. I justify the cost by having a free stop at Walgreens to pick up some snacks, drinks and even Disney souvenirs. Last time I got two cute Tsum Tsum tees for my nieces.

last time i was in MCO, I noticed a sign for a universal bus service. it looked very official, like the disney magical express, and i don’t remember seeing it before. is that the shuttle you’ve heard bad things about?

last time i was in MCO, I noticed a sign for a universal bus service. it looked very official, like the disney magical express, and i don’t remember seeing it before. is that the shuttle you’ve heard bad things about?

No, but theoretically you have to have a package booked to be able to sign up for it. I have a room only reservation and when I called (one time) I was told it was for packages only. Someone on the Universal board reported being able to use it with room only but I haven't worked up the nerve to call about it again.

No, but theoretically you have to have a package booked to be able to sign up for it. I have a room only reservation and when I called (one time) I was told it was for packages only. Someone on the Universal board reported being able to use it with room only but I haven't worked up the nerve to call about it again.

ah, i see. what a weird rule.

My parents just got back from Uni. They took a taxi to / from airport/Cabana Bay and it was $46 each way.

We've also used Tony Hinds and he is great! I'm not sure how much he charges for two people, but for our group of 6 it was $100+tip for pick up from Pop Century to Cabana Bay and then Cabana Bay to MCO.

I've never heard of Tony Hinds so I'll check for that next time but we've used Uber many times and have always been happy with the price.

What we have done the past few years is book our first night at a value WDW resort. That way we can use magical express and leave our luggage to them to take care of. Hate waiting for our luggage and then having to get it to car service. Free luggage service? Can't beat that. We spend the day at Disney Springs, we know we want to spend some time there anyways to shop and have a dinner, and the next day Uber to Cabana Bay to start our real vacation. The Uber is always under $20, usually around $15. We Uber back to the airport at the end of our vacation and the average for that is $35. In between when we need to get somewhere, say the outlets or a grocery store, we use Uber as well. It really is an inexpensive way to get around and so easy.
Other than that, I to have heard good things about Tony Hinds. You probably can't go wrong. I'd try him if it weren't for the fact I'm lazy and want someone else to get my luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter