Regarding Krisy Kremes...

Mom of 5

Mouseketeer
Did anyone see Oprah: After the Show last night on the Oxygen channel?

Oprah was in Tennessee this summer and tasted her first Krispy Kreme donut. She enjoyed it so much that she had them brought in for the whole audience :D. Of course, when she tried them for the first time, they were warm - the only way to enjoy them ;) .

Life is funny.

Within 10 miles of my house, we have 2 Krispy Kreme shops that are always cranking out "Hot Glazed" as my DD3 likes to say. I always chuckle to myself when people elevate them to almost a delicacy status, when they are like McDonalds to us.

I do get very excited however when the local farmers market has thier crawfish boil twice a year.

We used to have to drive 45 min for Krispy Kreme (which we did) and now that theres one within 10 min, we do take it for granted a bit, but its still nice to have them close by! I can't wait til its colder to go there for a hot donut and hot chocolate!

Also, my friend used to work at the one that opened by us, right when it opened, so as the workers were going through training, they got to take home their 'practice' donuts. We had a dozen different donuts every night for a week! I think that made us stay away for a little while.

I had not tried a krispy kreme doughnut until we moved here to AL just last month. There is one less than 10 min. drive from our house and it is on the way to DH's work!!!!! Our code word is "fresh,hot,now", unless that sign it lit, we don't stop. We buy a dozen at a time (only $4.5, what a deal :Pinkbounc ) and I eat my share before they get cold. I mean, once they are no longer warm, what is the point? We will only be living here for 2 years and don't know where we will go from here. Krispy Kremes will be a sweet memory for us, kids wearing KK paper hats, noses pressed to the glass watching the doughnuts go under the "wall of frosting".

I don't know...as good as they are hot, I'm more partial to them a day old and heated up for about 20 seconds in the microwave! Yum!!

Originally posted by Mom of 5
Did anyone see Oprah: After the Show last night on the Oxygen channel?

Oprah was in Tennessee this summer and tasted her first Krispy Kreme donut. She enjoyed it so much that she had them brought in for the whole audience :D. Of course, when she tried them for the first time, they were warm - the only way to enjoy them ;) .

Interesting - since Oprah is from Mississippi it surprises me that she never had one before.....

KK is a North Carolina company and was just around the states that border for a long time. They did not start the major expansion until a few years ago.

...that the nearest KK is about 20 minutes away, if it was any closer I'd be a big as a house :D They are addictive to me, gotta love that flashing "hot" sign. Yummy!

I love Krispy Kreme doughnuts! Growing up in North Carolina, it is amazing that I don't weigh 200 pounds. We went to the Harry Connick, Jr. concert in Winston-Salem this summer and the Krispy Kreme people brought 20 dozen over for Harry and the band. They shared them with the audience that night!

Somehow I've managed to drive right on by every KK shop I've ever seen--without stopping.
I am always amazed at the KK hype. They're just donuts and not very good ones.

I always remember the very first time somebody brought KK into the office. I recall thinking--how could they possibly fit 12 donuts into that small, flat little box??

Originally posted by Uncleromulus
I always remember the very first time somebody brought KK into the office. I recall thinking--how could they possibly fit 12 donuts into that small, flat little box?? [/B]

??????????????????????????????

Everytime I've gotten Krispy Kremes straight from the shop, they were in a box bigger than a shirt-size gift box. Much bigger than the shoe-size box from alot of bakeries. It even had a plastic "window" to see in. Also, this type of box allowed each donut to lie flat without touching the other donuts.

Perhaps the box you saw was from KK sold in grocery stores... they're nothing like the ones straight from the shop.

No--these were straight from the "bakery"--the guy who brought them in proudly asserted he'd waited in line for nearly 2 hours to get them!!
I thought he was nuts---
I guess they are in that flat box because if you stood them up side to side (like donuts in a box from a real bakery), they would probably collapse.

It's really not worth arguing with you since your mind is made up...but...

a) Krispy Kreme refers to itself as a "doughnut shop" and NOT a bakery

and

b) they put the hot doughnuts in the large flat box to 1)keep the glaze from falling off since they're still warm and it hasn't fully set yet and 2) to keep the doughnuts with the non-set glaze from sticking to each other.

You don't like them...fine! But they are obviously a lot of people who do since the franchises keep expanding. Personally all other doughnuts taste like cardboard to me...especially ones from a "real bakery." Fortunately we have a choice.

~Beth

I am a big KK fan too, but nothing beats a Blueberry Cake donut from Dunkin Donuts and their coffee is perfect everytime. :teeth:

I love Dunkin Donuts...wish we could get those here ;) !

Are they available anyone on WDW property??

I feel so blessed.....we've always had them. Even so, some of the biggest fund raisers that the schools have each year is the annual donut sale. My family loves them and if we're out and the Hot Now sign is on, we'll stop and buy them and eat them in the car.

Do they sell KK any place in WDW I seem to remember seeing them at the SD ,they must truck them in or are the fresh thanx

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

mickeyluv71:
Not starting any argument--just a post to indicate that there are a few folks who aren't quite so taken with the miracle of Krispy Kremes!!
And actually--I do like them. They are achingly sweet in their own way. I'd never buy any, of course, but I'll eat them if somebody else pays.

Thanks Uncle. I understand that not everyone likes them...I used to work 4 blocks from the original store and the men's club group at the church used to bring in Dunkin Doughnuts all the time...helped me on the diet for sure! I like KrispyKremes myself, but not enough to drive 30 minuted to the closest one to me.

Have a great day!! :D

~Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter