Refrigerated bagels purchased at grocery store

mrspaha

Mouseketeer
I have a weird question about some bagels I bought at the grocery store. They were in the refrigerator section, very cheap--5 in the package for less than $1. I knew they obviously wouldn't be as good as fresh or bakery bagels, and actually they don't taste too bad once I toast them and put a flavored spread on them.

But, my question is: They have a "sell by" date that's 3 months out... I checked the ingredients and there is calcium propionate and in parenthese it says "preservative". I know store-bought bread has preservatives in it too, but their shelf life is usually about a week.

Are these preservatives at all harmful? It would seem to me that these bagels must obviously have a much higher amount of preservatives to have that long of a shelf life, but if it's not harmful, why don't they use more of it in regular bread? We occasionally have bread that starts to go bad before we finish it, so I would think bread companies would want to extend the shelf life on the bread too...

Any food chemistry experts out there that can enlighten me?

You lost me at store bought bagel:laughing: being from NY there is only one kind of thing that should be called a bagel and if it comes from a store, that ain't it:flower3:

Bagels should be Jewish, boiled and go bad in a day... Not that the fresh ones last that long yummmmmmm:love:

I have a weird question about some bagels I bought at the grocery store. They were in the refrigerator section, very cheap--5 in the package for less than $1. I knew they obviously wouldn't be as good as fresh or bakery bagels, and actually they don't taste too bad once I toast them and put a flavored spread on them.

But, my question is: They have a "sell by" date that's 3 months out... I checked the ingredients and there is calcium propionate and in parenthese it says "preservative". I know store-bought bread has preservatives in it too, but their shelf life is usually about a week.

Are these preservatives at all harmful? It would seem to me that these bagels must obviously have a much higher amount of preservatives to have that long of a shelf life, but if it's not harmful, why don't they use more of it in regular bread? We occasionally have bread that starts to go bad before we finish it, so I would think bread companies would want to extend the shelf life on the bread too...Any food chemistry experts out there that can enlighten me?

I have no idea what it is, but I just looked on my loaf of D'Italino italian bread and it is listed in the ingredients.

You lost me at store bought bagel:laughing: being from NY there is only one kind of thing that should be called a bagel and if it comes from a store, that ain't it:flower3:

Bagels should be Jewish, boiled and go bad in a day ::yes:: ... Not that the fresh ones last that long yummmmmmm:love:

Considering we are from the same area - you know I feel the same way! :lmao: The OP lost me at refrigerating bagels. :eek: :eek: :eek: :faint: Refrigerated bagels have the consistency of hockey pucks. They are chewy, chewy, chewy. :p

Sorry I couldn't be of any help OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter