Red Tide-algae bloom??? Florida residents

I live in Tampa. YES. YES. It has been all over the local news. I guess some people don't pay attention to the news. I am guilty of that a few years ago when I was active duty and worked in a secure location (no TV, no cell phones, etc). Where I work now, I keep my phone on my desk and can surf Facebook as much as I like, so I see just about everything the local news posts.

We had place booked on Lido Key for Labor Day weekend, just cancelled and got a place on the Atlantic side instead

We actually went from Aug 11-18 to AMI. We decided to try and see before we made any decisions. Our first three days on the gulf side were fine. The water on the northern part, where we were staying was fine. Very few fish, no odor, etc.. That all changed Tuesday late night/Wed and horseshoe crabs, larger fish and eels washed up and the odor on the beach was bad. We ended up on the bay side for Wed-Friday which was terrific. We had dolphins swimming by us, tons of fish and a few manatees. We kayaked and loved it. We biked around the whole island, ate, played mini golf, etc. We enjoyed our pool at our rental and outside of being directly on the beach at times, we had not issues at all. Thursday and Friday evening there were some dead fish but the odor wasn't nearly as bad as Wed so we did enjoy the sunset. Honestly the wind, tide, etc changed conditions on the island daily. Locations varied but we still had a terrific time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter