Recommendations at Counter service for salads, wraps or other healthy eats?

princessesrule4

<font color=darkorchid>Nope, it's your imagination
I have lost 20 pounds, feel great and would like to maintain my weight loss while at Disney in June. I am going to enjoy myself, not starve myself, but I would like to have a healthy lunch or dinner once a day to help the cause! I will be having whatever I want for the other meal but watching my portions. I usually have eggs,fruit,etc. for breakfast so I'm not worried about that. With all the walking and having an eating"plan" ,I'm hoping I would just gain a pound or 2 which is fine. I want to be able to splurge and enjoy a little! This worked for me after our week at Vero last month!
I just have never paid much attention to salads, wraps,fish, etc. at counter service because I'm a burger addict while we're at Disney! Could you all recommend some good tasting choices at the counter service restaurants in all 4 parks?
Thanks so much!

MK - Columbia Harbor House has a real good salad with grilled chicken, very good...
Epcot - Sunshine Seasons has some good options for salads, one with seared tuna I believe
MGM - Backlot Express - Sesame Chicken salad is good
AK - Tusker House has a good chicken salad and a good chicken wrap
You can also pick up fresh fruit in the parks, frozen fruit bars, things like that. You will definately walk a lot, so if you just watch it for a few meals will be fine...Have a great time!!! :goodvibes

hi!!

congrats on the loss

I hit my ww goal after returning from WDW last September
I have managed to keep off the 35 pounds I lost back then and am trying for another 10...
I ate at Seasons in the land. Lots of fresh choices available there.

also I ate the chicken at Flametree in AK and took off the skin, it was GREAT!! It is probably not the wisest choice but it did come with corn on the cob which I love...and gave my fries and beans to my dh...

We ate very few CS meals but it seems like there are good chicken and salad choices available everywhere.

Have fun and eat to live, not live to eat is my motto, even while at WDW...

moderation is key while eating at WDW...

I gravitate toward healthy foods and have maintained a large weight loss for over five years, so here's how I didn't gain many pounds on our recent trip:

1. Eat vegetarian! Veggies give you lots of nutritional bang for your buck. Low calorie, high in fiber and nutrients = filled up!

2. At MK, I had the Vegetarian wrap at Cosmic Rays with sugar-free applesauce. I threw away the dessert after checking out the calories and realizing I wasn't hungry after the wrap.

3. At Epcot, I had the sushi meal at the counter-service restaurant in Japan (Yakitoir House-Sushi Tokyo Roll) with the Ginger Cake for dessert. Yummy and filling but not TOO filling! I ate this meal for lunch both Epcot days.

4. At MGM, I had the Tabbouleh Wrap at the ABC commissary. Fruit for dessert. Very tasty. On our second MGM day, I had the Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with the Strawberry Parfait (no sugar added) for dessert. More food than I'm accostomed, but yummy!

5. At AK, I had the salmon platter at Tusker House with grapes for dessert. Yummy! I found most places very willing to replace dessert for fruit. I highly recommend those trying to lose/maintain weight to eat the fruit instead of dessert!

Good luck and enjoy!

If you're really in need of a burger fix, halve a burger with someone else and leave them the fries. Top your burger off with a 99 cent apple or banana or other piece of fresh fruit from a cart. That way, you still get your burger fix, but eat reasonably healthy too :thumbsup2

My sister uses subliminal CDs she gets at the bookstore to keep her cravings down while on vacation or when she gets heavier than she likes to be. She goes to sleep at night listening to them every night for a couple of weeks before she travels. I used to laugh about it, but it really seems to work for her. She says it's like cheap hypnosis.

:sunny:

Sunshine Seasons at Soarin' ride has lots of good food options. i love :love: the roasted beet and goat cheese salad so much it is the only meal I've tried there! DH and I usually lose weight at Disney eating everything we want as we do a ton of walking and swim every day at least once. Good Luck and have a super trip!

Columbia Harbour House has a vegetarian chili. Veggie chili is generally very "diet friendly" since it is basically just vegetables and beans.

I don't eat meat, but DH has had the salmon at Tusker House and it looks very good. I believe the sides that come with it are green beans and rice.

On our trip last September, DH and I had been on weight watchers for a couple of months before our trip. We were on the dining plan and did not concern ourselves with "being good" on our diet. Basically, we ate whatever we wanted. I expect to gain a few pounds, but I think I actually lost a pound or so because of all of the walking!

There's a really good wrap at Pecos Bills at MK! (I think it's Turkey??)

I think nowadays, you can find at least ONE healthy alternative at all CS places at WDW.

GOOD LUCK...I have 35 pounds to lose, too!!!!!! Currently trying...but will be trying harder once I get back from my Atlantis vacation (we leave next Sunday!)

princessesrule4 said:
I have lost 20 pounds, feel great and would like to maintain my weight loss while at Disney in June. I am going to enjoy myself, not starve myself, but I would like to have a healthy lunch or dinner once a day to help the cause! I will be having whatever I want for the other meal but watching my portions. I usually have eggs,fruit,etc. for breakfast so I'm not worried about that. With all the walking and having an eating"plan" ,I'm hoping I would just gain a pound or 2 which is fine. I want to be able to splurge and enjoy a little! This worked for me after our week at Vero last month!
I just have never paid much attention to salads, wraps,fish, etc. at counter service because I'm a burger addict while we're at Disney! Could you all recommend some good tasting choices at the counter service restaurants in all 4 parks?
Thanks so much!

There are lots of good salads at the fast food counters, but be sure to order the dressing on the side. Disney tends to drown their salads. Many of them are tossed fresh for you, so if you want to leave anything particular off, just tell them. You can also substitute fries for grapes or carrots at most places that give you fries with a sandwich. You can also order everything without the fries.

Columbia Harbor House at MK has a great chicken, pineapple, and feta salad
Cosmic Ray's has a good chicken ceasar and a veggie wrap
Pecos Bill's has a good chicken wrap and a salad with jicama slaw and lime vinagrette
Pinocchio's used to have a good salad with chicken peaches and blue cheese but it looks like they have an antipasto instead. You can order it without the meat, which would be healthier.
Flame Tree BBQ at AK has a nice smoked chicken salad and a great fruit plate
Tusker House at AK has grilled salmon
ABC Commisary at MGM has a tabouleh wrap (sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not)
Backlot Express at MGM has a grilled veggie sandwich
Flatbread Grill at MGM has a Greek Salad
Tangierine Cafe at Epcot has an excellent vegetarian plate with couscous salad, hummus, and tabouleh

First off congrat on your big weight loss! THat is great. Now for disney..it is very possible to eat really well and still maintain/maybe gain 1 pound or so..it is all about portion control and lots of water. Since I am on WW I "know" kind of off hand what is healthier and how I can make something more healthy...
For example at cosmic rays there is a rotisserie chicken meal...just take the skin off and it was very tasty. I think the sides weren't as healthy..mashed potatoes and some veggie...just portion control the potatoes...

The salad at CHH wasn't that good...maybe it was my visit only but on a whole we weren't impressed with that place much at all.

I agree with the other posters...fruit instead of dessert...but what fun is vacation without a little splurge. So for one day I allowed myself to eat 1 dessert that I wanted without feeling guilty.

I brought along with me some really healthy type snacks so that during the day I could pull them out on lines or in shows if hunger hit. I liked the granola bars...100 cal chips 100 cal snacks, no chocolate...it melts!

Now table dining is another story..and I have found that all chefs are most accomodating to any and all of your requests...no added oil, no butter, grilled chicken instead of fried, double veggies, egg beaters etc...

I am happy to report that we returned the beginning of april and I only gained 1.4 pounds...and it was gone in 3 days when I hopped back on plan at home. You can do it!!!!!!!!

Melissa;)

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions and encouragement! I didn't know WDW had so many delicious sounding healthy choices! I guess I was too busy eating my cheeseburger and fries with a Mickey bar! :blush: I have written down all your great recommendations and I feel like I'm going there prepared now thanks to you all. Congrats to everyone who has lost weight! :woohoo: I know how hard it is - so easy to gain ,but so hard to lose!

You may also want to consider having a child's meal for lunch. They usually come with carrots instead of fries and applesauce for dessert. The smaller portions are perfect, and they are not only limited to burgers, franks and chicken fingers. For instance, Flame Tree at AK has a baked chicken wing childs meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter