• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Recommend head server on the Wonder?

Curt Sole

Earning My Ears
We sail on the wondWo in late April .I have never put in a request for a head server before. Two questions.

1. How do I make the request?

2. Who would y'all recommend on the Wonder?

Thx

Lead server might be the better descriptor.

Out of curiosity, why request a head server?

Since head servers are the ones who ultimately approve all allergy meals, if there are severe allergies, having a head server who is excellent with those is highly beneficial.

As for those who complain that they never or hardly ever see their head server, that is because they are doing their job making sure everything runs smoothly. If you do not see them, that is a good thing because they are doing their job. If you have to ask for them, that is not good because they are missing problems going on.

Our favorite server on the Fantasy became a head server on the Magic. We’ve had him as a server 3 or 4 times. We just requested him as a head server because we enjoy his company and we believe he will match us with a great team.

We had Nathan from the Philippines as our lead server. He was amazing. I don’t remember the name of our head server, but it was the first time we interacted with the head server every night. He was very attentive and did great with my kids (14 and 12).

We actually make our requests based on the Assistant Server. I feel like they are the ones doing most of the work and interacting the most with us. We love Phapakorn from Thailand. We have had him on the Wonder 3 times now.

For our server we liked Ralph from Jamaica.

Tiago from Portugal was excellent. He worked with kellyann as the asst server. Not sure if they are still there or have gone to a different ship. It was a year ago.

Since head servers are the ones who ultimately approve all allergy meals, if there are severe allergies, having a head server who is excellent with those is highly beneficial.

As for those who complain that they never or hardly ever see their head server, that is because they are doing their job making sure everything runs smoothly. If you do not see them, that is a good thing because they are doing their job. If you have to ask for them, that is not good because they are missing problems going on.
This has been our experience as well, particularly since DW has a gluten allergy. We are by no means high maintenance, but we have seen how important the head server can be in assisting servers and assistant servers who are still learning the ropes (a nautical term, that) in dealing with serving guests with allergies.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many serving team a head server is in charge of? Just trying to estimate what the 1 dollar per day recommendation adds up to. I know a serving team typically has a 4, 6 , and 8 seat table.

Out of curiosity does anyone know how many serving team a head server is in charge of? Just trying to estimate what the 1 dollar per day recommendation adds up to. I know a serving team typically has a 4, 6 , and 8 seat table.

I think but not positive there is 9 head servers on the magic and wonder and 12 on the dream and fantasy.

I think but not positive there is 9 head servers on the magic and wonder and 12 on the dream and fantasy.
That’s also my recollection, based on observations on Magic, Wonder, and Fantasy. Each dining room accommodates approximately 1/6 of the total ship capacity (from 3 dining rooms with 2 dinner seatings nightly). Three head servers per dining room on Magic/Wonder and four per dining room on Dream/Fantasy.

On the Magic/Wonder, there are about 875 staterooms (I have seen 875 in some reports and 877 in some others). With an average of 3 passengers or so in each stateroom (just a guess for purposes of estimating and to simplify the calculation), each head server would have 1/9 of about 2625 = 291 diners.

On the Dream and Fantasy, there are 1250 stateroom, so about 3750 passengers. With 12 head servers, each would be responsible for about 313 diners.

So, my guesstimate would be that each head server has about 300 diners, more or less, say +/- 10%, depending on how full the ship happens to be.

If a serving team has 4+6+8 top tables, there would be about 8 or 9 serving teams per head server (18x8x2=288, 18x9x2=324, with two dinner seatings).

I always request my Head Server - not my serving staff. We have trips 7 and 8 booked for this year on the Fantasy and our TA know to request Wit. We sadly missed him on our Very Merry cruise last November. He had checked his schedule when we sailed in May and was supposed to be there, but was extended on his contract and was still on vacation when we sailed, he returned the week after we cruised.

I can highly recommend Faisal on the Wonder. He had been our head server on the Fantasy as well and is amazing and we would request him or Wit when they were both on the Fantasy. One trip we lucked out and both were on our rotation.

I think we had Jose from the Philippines. My kids were tickled because 2 of them have BFF's who are Filipina. He did magic tricks and puzzles for my teens and they were enthralled. I think they looked forward to that more than anything else on the cruise. Teens can be tough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter