recharging ECV at hotel -- or not!

jdb in AZ

It could end up curdled
DH and I were recently at Disneyland. We usually rent scooters off-site and recharge them overnight at the hotel. The hotel bell captain said he would be happy to recharge the scooters for us so they wouldn't get in our way in the room. He specifically said not to let "these bad boys" get in our way, and even offered to follow us up to our room and drive the scooters from our room to the storage room.

The first day, we rode the scooters all over Disneyland, then back to the hotel, and left the scooters with bell services. Next morning we got on the scooters to head back to the parks and immediately noticed the charge levels on both scooters registered the same as the night before. arrgghhh! By going slowly we had enough juice to get to Downtown Disney where we plugged the chargers into a restaurant outlet and enjoyed a leisurely(!) lunch.

After limited(!) park time DH's scooter was again failing so we plugged in again, this time at an outlet near the DCA bakery, right across from the future site of the Ghiardelli Chocolate co. We were sure wishing that place was already open! The parks were crowded and we were tired so we drove the scooters back to the hotel and gave the bell captain the what for. He didn't apologize, just explained that there were a lot of people checking out (in the middle of the night?) and needed to store their bags, so there wasn't room to charge the scooters. We pointed out that if we had known it would be an inconvenience, we would have made other arrangements! There was enough space in our room to plug in, as well as outlets in the hall.

Anyway, after recharging the scooters for two more hours at the hotel that afternoon, we ventured back to Disneyland for Fantasmic! and the fireworks. Then limped the scooters back to the hotel. DH's scooter died at Katella and Harbor, one of the busiest intersections in Anaheim! Fortunately the tired drivers headed out of Disneyland were observant and patient as DH got off and pushed his scooter across the the intersection. DH is in his early 60's, has a bad back, creaky ankles, two artificial knees and a permanently separated shoulder. He has no business pushing a scooter!

When he got to the sidewalk and out of harm's way, we tried pushing his scooter with mine, but my battery charge indicator immediately started protesting the abuse and we didn't need two dead scooters on our hands.

So I drove my scooter back to the hotel, told the bell captain the situation, and he hurried into action -- sprinted back to where DH was, about 1/2 mile away. Meanwhile, DH had pushed the scooter into the lobby of the closest hotel and was recharging the battery there, and waiting outside for my return -- I walked back to help push, but it wasn't necessary. Two other bell captains from our hotel got on a golf cart and also rushed to the rescue, but by the time they got there, DH's scooter had enough of a charge to slowly(!) drive back to the hotel. I did bum a ride back to the hotel on the back of the golf cart.

About 50 yards from the hotel entrance the scooter died again, so the bell captain helped DH push.

Question: do you think bell services atoned enough for their lack of judgment, or would you write a letter of complaint to the hotel manager? Some of the guys were very helpful, but someone obviously slipped up, tho we don't know who.

Either way, you can bet we won't be staying at that hotel again.

Wow, it sounds like a very frustrating event. If it was a Disney owned property then I would write to Disney and let them know. If not then send a letter to the hotel head office.

I don't think there was anything to atone for, I don't think a letter is necessary, and while aggravating, everything worked out in the end. You gave the Bell Captain "what for"? I think that was plenty. Let it go, and yes, don't stay at that hotel again.

I would write to the hotel.

But also that is why you should charge the ECV in your room overnight; you will be sure that it will get a full charge.

Wow, it sounds like a very frustrating event. If it was a Disney owned property then I would write to Disney and let them know. If not then send a letter to the hotel head office.
Itdoesntsound like a Disney property; I don't think any are on or near Harbor. It could have been an Official Good Neighbor property but there's no wayto tell if the OP doesn't provide the name :).

The Bell Captain offered a service that may or may not be typical for that hotel, or it's possible the OP or her husband requested it. Due to apparent/alleged busyness in the luggage room, this didn't get done. Call me a skeptic, but I won't trust anyone but me to charge an ecv I'll need all day. NOT a critique of the OP in any way, just my distrust. If the ECV doesn't charge, I need to be able to blame me or it, not another person.

dragonfly57005 said:
I've always seen people charging them in the hallways.
This strikes me as less than a good idea from both a safety (narrowing hallways) and security standpoint.

The hotel isn't a Disney property, but a well-respected international chain. When we checked the scooters into bell services the first night and DH reminded them to plug in the scooters, the bell captain assured him that yes they would be charged and even looked affronted, as in, "you don't have to remind me to do my job!"

When we stay on-site, the Disneyland Hotel bell captains are very good about recharging the scooters over night. When we stay at the GCH they tell us to use the outlets in the hall and they "haven't lost a scooter yet." The GCH halls are wide enough to accommodate the scooters and the maids' carts too, tho we recharged at the end of the hallway so the halls weren't obstructed in any way. The DLH halls are much narrower and charging the scooters there would be a different issue altogether.

Thanks for your input and letting me vent. Next time we'll go off-season when we can get a good enough discount to stay at the GCH.

I've never been able to understand people who don't apologize when something goes wrong.

Even if the bell captain truly believed he didn't personally do anything wrong, the fact remains that something bad happened on his watch, and ultimately, it's his job to apologize when that happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter