rec new stroller for 5 yr & 3 yr

jbjb93

Earning My Ears
I would love to have some recommendations for a new stroller. We are going in Sept with our 5 1/2 DD and almost 3 DS. I want to get a new stroller, but not spend much money. I have been reading all the posts, and have looked at a Kolcraft that folds with big basket, shade and recline. (Kmart has it on sale now for $39.99)
My question is this, would I be better off getting something they both can ride in? Or, get the Kolcraft and just rent one when DD is needing a rest?
I have a dbl stroller now, but both kids have a hard time getting in and out. DS is almost as big as DD.
Thanks for your time!

look no farther!

pay no attention to what anyone else tells you!

what you need is the sit-n-stand by baby trend!

its pricier than the kolcraft but youll use it endlessly with the tot afterwards! it has a seat up front and a platform to stand or sit backwards on the back! perfect for your big kids who will be hoping up and down alot and wonderful for the mall later for the very same reason!

We have a Sit and Stand Stroller and we didn't and won't be bringing it down to Disney with us. It's just too bulky and heavy and big and hard to fold up. Even though we're renting a car, it's just too big.

Last trip we brought down a double umbrella stroller with a big basket but it, too, was a bit bulky and not that easy to fold up when on the bus, etc... the kids would fight sometimes too being that close together!

This time, I think we will bring 2 single umbrella strollers. One has a basket (Elmo stroller for $25.00 at Walmart), lightweight, shade, no recline, though. The other is the one we've had forever. Just your regular umbrella stroller.

Our kids will be 2 and 5 for the next trip. This way if the older one doesn't need the stroller, we'll leave it in the car. They are both easy to get around and fold and very light.

Thanks for your input. Now I'm torn.
Stacy6552 - is it easy to fold and carry? Is it heavy? We are staying on site - so will be using it to and from the room. I'm concerned about getting it on the buses.
beattyfamily - If we take the 2 strollers, do you ever see us lugging it to a park and not using it? Our DD hasn't been in a stroller in 2 yrs, but I'm thinking she will get tired. Truthfully, I never thought about bringing to. The only problem is, our umbrella is cheap - doesn't stear well, no basket, recline or anything. Just bare bones stroller.
I know I can get away with buying one new stroller, but my DH will never go for two.
Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

Just wanted to say I'm also watching this thread. We need another umbrella stroller for our June trip. Ours does not have a canopy anymore. The cheapest I saw at our Target was $40, at Babys R Us $30. I bought our last one for $14! (when it had a canopy). I will only be using this for our WDW trips this June and next, as DS is almost 3 and does not use a stroller at home anymore. I want to buy one because it is cheaper than renting, plus I can use it at the airport.
Robin M.

They are not my cup of tea (I'm a dedicated fan of full-size aluminum Euro-umbrella buggies) but I -do- know of a consistent source for basic umbrella strollers with a flat canopy and simple recline. Burlington Coat Factory's Baby Depot stores always have them in stock. They are made by Avalon, for the past two years they have been a kind of jade green with a print of tropical fish on them, at least the ones I've seen have been, anyway. The price is about $20.

Caveat about Baby Depot, though; they don't give refunds, only store credits if you return something, so be sure it is what you want before you buy.

I just purchased a nearly new stroller with deep basket and canopy for $12.00 at a garagte sale. I've seen a number of them lately in all the yard sales & consignment shops. Since I have a four year old who hasn't been in a stroller in years, I didn't want to spend much money. I just washed it up and it looks almost new!

I'm with skeezixspud on this one (I think she gave me input when I was looking for a WDW stroller last summer....and I love my maclaren!) You might do best with 2 umbrella strollers, and the ones at BCF would probably work. The canopy is a bit low for a big kid though....tried one with my then 5yo and it sat on his head.

My ds used a stroller almost constantly at both 4yo and 5yo in WDW (and never outside of WDW). Worst case scenario you can put one stroller in a large locker or just park it somewhere (most likely it won't get stolen, especially if you mark it). My son also did fine in a non canopied Kolcraft umbrella stroller in 1999....if you're worried about the sun use sun block and a hat. We didn't find it a problem. Or if you think it won't be a problem just take one stroller...like you said, you can always rent.

I tried the sit n stand in my stroller quest, as I had a 5yo and an infant......there's absolutely no way I'd take such a bulky heavy thing to WDW. Heck I don't know if it would fit in my car....and definitely not with luggage too! I agree that in theory this stroller is a great idea, but its just too big! I think it would be a nightmare on Disney busses. Try it out yourself though...go to Babies R Us and do test runs, or to BCF's Baby Depot.

ok, yes i cancede the sit-n-stand is bulky. but i find it easy to fold. stand on the side with the latch (low near the back wheel) grab the handle and the bar in front, release the latch with my foot and fold. piece of cake. the sit-n-stand does fit under the seats on the busses,and the other people i saw on the bus with it loved it too. go to the store and check it out. personally, i opt for the convenience of it in the parks and throughout the day. i feel the bulk is worth it. get your big strong husband to deal with it. ;)

My children are just about the same age as yours (5, 21/2). We bring our own stroller for the younger DD and we rent one for the 5 year old. My 9 year old usually walks and at times climbs in with her 5 year old.

We have never taken our sit and stand to WDW (we go often). It is WAY to bulky and difficult to manuever. Actually, on one of my walks my 5 year old stood up on the stoop and it broke!!! She only weighs 35 lbs. She fell and scraped her knees (she took off the seat belt and bounced off my legs). IMHO, it was a waste of money.

I just bought a stoller at Target for 39.99 for our last trip in March and our next trip in July. My DD can sleep in it and the sun stays out of her face. Plus, it has a basket to keep our goodies (non-valuable of course).

I've got to agree with Beattyfamily - the sit and stand was the biggest waste of my money. I had bought one when I had my DS based on a strong recommendation. The thing was bulky, heavy and I never could even figure out how to fold it. Plus, what they don't tell you is that when the younger child reclines, the older one can't sit, only stand.

I gave the thing away and bought myself the cheapest Graco double stroller that my kids could fit in comfortably. It was really light weight and easy to maneuver.

Don't spend a lot of money on a stroller that your kids will soon outgrow. Find a comfy inexpensive one, new or used. Otherwise, why not rent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter