Rebooking for cheaper rates

holyrita

DIS Veteran
Hello! We're spontaneously looking at a last minute, three night trip, and to be expected there is not a lot of availability. While there's no availability for all three nights, we can piece together 3 individual nights (cheaper this way than 'two nights + one night' or 'one night + two nights').

I've been monitoring prices just today and have already noticed they fluctuate quite a bit, sometimes less, sometimes more. I guess as people cancel their reservations and different room types/rates open up (we are pass holders). Currently with three individual nights booked, we had to pay for each individual night upfront, understandably so.

My question is.. as rates and availability fluctuates, is there any issue with me cancelling and rebooking reservations? Potentially many times? (I understand this has to be done greater than 5 days before check-in to avoid the one night fee). I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause any issue with Universal or receiving our refunds, if we wind up cancelling a bunch of reservations for different ones.

Maybe calling and asking to modify a reservation if that's available? Instead of cancelling? I'm not sure if that's an option. I'm also not sure how long rates will stay as they pop-up, a phone call may not be quick enough..

Ok I'm just rambling on now so any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello! We're spontaneously looking at a last minute, three night trip, and to be expected there is not a lot of availability. While there's no availability for all three nights, we can piece together 3 individual nights (cheaper this way than 'two nights + one night' or 'one night + two nights').

I've been monitoring prices just today and have already noticed they fluctuate quite a bit, sometimes less, sometimes more. I guess as people cancel their reservations and different room types/rates open up (we are pass holders). Currently with three individual nights booked, we had to pay for each individual night upfront, understandably so.

My question is.. as rates and availability fluctuates, is there any issue with me cancelling and rebooking reservations? Potentially many times? (I understand this has to be done greater than 5 days before check-in to avoid the one night fee). I just want to make sure I'm not going to cause any issue with Universal or receiving our refunds, if we wind up cancelling a bunch of reservations for different ones.

Maybe calling and asking to modify a reservation if that's available? Instead of cancelling? I'm not sure if that's an option. I'm also not sure how long rates will stay as they pop-up, a phone call may not be quick enough..

Ok I'm just rambling on now so any help/insight would be greatly appreciated!
Just canceled a room yesterday. The TM told me that if it’s at the same resort, you can modify, but the only option for different resorts is to cancel the one and rebook the other.
Hope this helps.

As @JoelleM said, you can modify if it's the same hotel - the link where you can cancel also has a modify option.
I have had no issues booking quite a few reservations and cancelling - just keep track of which ones you have received your refund for. Actually I have 4 right now while finalizing plans, and will be cancelling 2-3 of them.

The issue is how they appear on your credit card.

When you book a room, the deposit tends to go to next month’s statement.

But when you cancel, the one-night deposit tends to show up on your current statement.

We’ve done this a few times, and end up with a credit on this month’s bill for a deposit that shows up on next month’s bill.

Also note that Universal has been very slow to refund - there are a couple of threads on this - I had several that took well over 30 days and did not get refunded till I called in and spoke to someone.

So make sure you keep track of the booking and cancelations - I use excel

Also you cant always modify the reservation - sometimes yo have no choice but to cancel and rebook.

Also note that Universal has been very slow to refund - there are a couple of threads on this - I had several that took well over 30 days and did not get refunded till I called in and spoke to someone.

So make sure you keep track of the booking and cancelations - I use excel

Also you cant always modify the reservation - sometimes yo have no choice but to cancel and rebook.
Interesting.

We cancelled and then rebooked about a month ago, and were refunded almost immediately.

Sounds like a lot of inconsistency on Universal’s part.

FYI. I just finished another week's stay at Aventura. I booked in December as a Fl resident with a $18/night parking fee. The parking fee went up to $21/night recently. I had the front desk honor my reservation from December as they wanted to charge me $21/night.

FWIW I find changes are very easy if you book directly through Loews. I book the rooms that I want well in advance and then monitor prices. If they drop, I call Loews and have the reservation updated to the new rate.

(I have done this multiple times for same resort situations. I don't think I have ever updated a reservation to a different resort.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter