Realistic Travel Times

drj898

Mouseketeer
I've heard way too many travel times between WDW destinations, and I really honestly don't know which one to trust!

And then I'd find one..like in the Unofficial Guide I have, and there'd be comments on here that'd be like, "it definitely takes more time than X:XX to get from point A to point B!"

I'll be staying at BWI. How long would it take to get to: DTD, DHS, Epcot, MK, and AK?

I'm expecting big times for MK, AK, and especially DTD. The Unofficial Guide said 25 minutes to walk to DHS...okay..I can understand that. But by boat it's still 25min?

Whatcha say, oh trusty Disboard members??

Thanks!

Unfortunately part of the problem with travel time estimates is that you may or may not spend a lot of time waiting for your transportation. Once you get on the boat it's probably only about 10 or 15 minutes from BWI to DHS, but if you just miss a boat it's possible you may have as long as a 20 minute wait until the next boat. Same issue with the busses... once you get on the bus at BWI it's probably only 10 or 15 minutes to the MK, but again, there could be a 20 minute (or longer) wait for a bus.

Additionally when some people are providing time estimates they're thinking door to door... the amount of time it'll take from you walking out of your hotel room until you're walking through the turnstile at the park and some people are only thinking about time spent waiting for a bus and traveling on the bus.

Disney typically suggests planning an hour for travel time and honestly, that's probably a pretty good number. If you happen to get on a bus right away you may get where you're going a bit early, but there's no way to predict when the busses will come and if you plan for less than that you stand a good chance of being late.

HI,

Ok. These are my thoughts based on staying at BWI...not counting waiting for the buses, so my times estimates are from the minute you get on the bus.

To DHS: Agree 25 Minute boat or 25 minute walk. It really is quite a walk considering the amount of walking you will already be doing.

To Epcot: 7 minute walk

To MK: 30 minutes on bus if stopping at all other resorts

To AK: 15 minutes on bus

To DTD: 25 minutes on bus

However, when taking the bus we had to wait quite a while for MK and DTD. Also, sometimes we had to go to the other resorts, that really slows you up but going directly to the park was great.

I have to agree with the PP. Some quote door to door, some quote from the time you arrive at the stop, some travel at different times of the day. There is no way of realistically giving you exact times, so it is good to use a rule of thumb such as one hour.

You are setting yourself up for unrealistic expectations. If someone tells you 20 minutes and it is actually 23 minutes, now are you all of the sudden flustered with the transporation. I have seen people after waiting three minutes already complaining about the transportation. The next person comes up and asks how long they have been waiting, and they will say twenty minutes. Happens all too often, in our current society that expects unrealistic "instant" gratification.

There are also other factors. What time of year are you going? What times of day do you plan on traveling using transportation? Rope drop, mid-morning, lunchtime, mid-afternoon , park closing. Those times could make a huge difference.

The best is going in without expectations and (pardon the pun) enjoy the ride. You are leaving the driving to someone else. Enjoy it, it is a vacation.

We stayed at YC this past September and the boats are pretty slow. They stop at three resorts and they just don't move fast. That being said, it is still a nice ride and convenient to be dropped off at the front of HS (we always walked to Epcot but the HS was too far for us...our feet hurt too bad on a WDW trip to add in that much more walking!)

Your thread to transportation board where the experts can really give you some great information.:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Thanks again Danny.

Anyway though, to make this more specific:

How long would it take (approximately) from BWI to each of the parks and downtown Disney? I want to have breakfast at the resort area and then make it to each of the parks for rope drop at 9am. I'll be there during a pretty peak time, July 7th-13th.

I've heard way too many travel times between WDW destinations, and I really honestly don't know which one to trust!

And then I'd find one..like in the Unofficial Guide I have, and there'd be comments on here that'd be like, "it definitely takes more time than X:XX to get from point A to point B!"

I'll be staying at BWI. How long would it take to get to: DTD, DHS, Epcot, MK, and AK?

I'm expecting big times for MK, AK, and especially DTD. The Unofficial Guide said 25 minutes to walk to DHS...okay..I can understand that. But by boat it's still 25min?

Whatcha say, oh trusty Disboard members??

Thanks!
Okay, I primarily stay at BWV..my favorite resort. So, how much time???
Here's sort of what to expect...

1. DTD...wait for the bus could be 1 min, or it could be 20 mins. Once on the bus, it's about 15 mins.

2. MK...again, wait could be 1 or 20 mins. Once on the bus, most likely be about 15-20 mins, depending on which resorts you stop at along the way.

3. AK..again with the wait..then about 15-20 mins on the bus, if that.

4. Epcot....7 mins by boat, not including any wait time (which could be about 15+ mins), or an 8 min walk.

5. DHS...boat is about 20+ mins, not including waits. Boat then goes to YC/BC, S/D, then DHS. Walking takes about 15-18 mins, depending on pace.

I've actually made it from Epcot's International Gateway to DHS, with a stop in my room at BWV, in under 20 mins....I was cranking, but had to get to DHS before they closed and I had just watched IllumiNations in Epcot.

OP Since you will be there when it is incredibly HOT, may I suggest a rental car?

Your theme park parking is free, and you can use valet for $12 per day (+ tip) to have your vehicle brought to the front door and have the AC BLASTING!

We enjoy the buses/monorail/boats, but sometimes it is nice to have your own car just like at home.

OP Since you will be there when it is incredibly HOT, may I suggest a rental car?

Your theme park parking is free, and you can use valet for $12 per day (+ tip) to have your vehicle brought to the front door and have the AC BLASTING!

We enjoy the buses/monorail/boats, but sometimes it is nice to have your own car just like at home.

Yipes. Well...by adding an extra day onto my vacation, i'm literally at the top of my budget. Soooo unfortunately, no. We'll just bear the heat by not traveling in the HOT HOT afternoon. :thumbsup2

I just want to know when should we be at the bus stop, boat launch, or walking path in order to get to each of the parks by rope drop. That's all.

I don't try to plan down to the minute though. It's good enough for the most part to have a general rule of thumb.

For any travel that doesn't involve something "right next door" (like an Epcot resort to Epcot, or the Poly to MK) - we try and get to the bus stop an hour before we want to be there. Works very well.

When driving, we still try to leave the resort a solid 30-45 minutes ahead of time, even longer if we're driving to MK.

So mainly we go by the 1 hour using Disney transportation rule.

Well then...hour is what I'll do! I'll be at bus stops and stuff at 8am.

I'm not trying to plan every minute or every hour...I'd just really like to get there when the park opens and I was curious ABOUT how much time it'd take to get from resort to each park so I can get there nice and early at rope drop.

Thanks!

An hour before is a great plan. There is usually a show before the parks open. Any time spent waiting for the parks to open will be gained back in reduced time waiting in line for attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter