RCI Trading Question

3princes+1princess

Mouseketeer
We are hoping to trade a week or two of my grandmas timeshare (with guest certificate) for a week in Disney through RCI the first week in December.

I know it is a long shot...and hoping for the best.

I currently have an ongoing search for a two bedroom for the first week in december. What I am curious about do you think that it would be worth it to put in two more ongoing searches, for a one bedroom & studio or two 1 bedrooms? I guess in order to actually confirm these, I would have to have both of those rooms come up at the same time (which may be even more impossible). I don't mind using more points, my Grandma has two weeks/about 220,000 points to exchange.

I really really want to do Disney in December. But without free dining we will have to stay off site in another timeshare resort and will be doing disney and Universal. I don't mind at all staying at a moderate....I just can't justify the cost when a timeshare will be free (my Grandma will pay one exchange fee).

However, the thought of actually getting a resort through RCI is just amazing! IT would be a vacation of a lifetime!!!!

What are the chances of getting a room this late in the game? Should I put in ongoing requests for two seperate rooms??

Thanks for the help!!

We are hoping to trade a week or two of my grandmas timeshare (with guest certificate) for a week in Disney through RCI the first week in December.

I currently have an ongoing search for a two bedroom for the first week in december. What I am curious about do you think that it would be worth it to put in two more ongoing searches, for a one bedroom & studio or two 1 bedrooms? I guess in order to actually confirm these, I would have to have both of those rooms come up at the same time (which may be even more impossible). I don't mind using more points, my Grandma has two weeks/about 220,000 points to exchange.

I really really want to do Disney in December. But without free dining we will have to stay off site in another timeshare resort and will be doing disney and Universal. I don't mind at all staying at a moderate....I just can't justify the cost when a timeshare will be free (my Grandma will pay one exchange fee).

However, the thought of actually getting a resort through RCI is just amazing! IT would be a vacation of a lifetime!!!!

What are the chances of getting a room this late in the game? Should I put in ongoing requests for two seperate rooms??

Thanks for the help!!

The first week of December is the most sought after week for DVC members, with Christmas week next. And I think two bedrooms may be hard to get if you do get something that week.

Does her timeshare trade into Bonnet Creek? That might be a good alternate if you can't get DVC.

Thanks for the info...I had no idea the first week of December was so wanted....I changed my search to include some November dates. Not when I want to go...but worth it if the resort cost is covered!

I will look into Bonnet Creek...can you get the dining plan with that resort?

I will look into Bonnet Creek...can you get the dining plan with that resort?

No, Bonnet Creek is NOT a Disney resort even though it is the closest timeshare to WDW (surrounded on 3 sides by Disney property). The Dining Plan is available only at Disney resorts.

There could be some villas deposited about 7 months prior but, as noted, Thanksgiving thru mid-December is a very popular time for DVC stays and exchange opportunities will be very limited. Many RCI members started their searches over a year ago.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the help!!
Make sure you list all DVC resorts at WDW. Also only list 1 BR, don't list studios at least until you get the 1 BR. If you get a 1 BR and have to have more room, there are ways to do so that may work out better for you. You might even be able to get two 1 BR units so you might search for two if you need more space. A couple of caveat's. BLT and AKV and possibly OKW will be able to sleep 5 plus ONE under 3 for the 1 BR. If you get 2 units, you will have 2 exchange fees AND two additional $95 resort services fees. I'd say your chances of success with the dates you're listed and the suggestions I've made are pretty good if their TPU is in the mid 40's or above.

I have been searching for last 2 weeks of December for the last YEAR through RCI weeks with my TPU anywhere between 40 - 55 and have NEVER see ANYTHING not even SSR!!! Just NOW is a crop load of weeks for August thru end of September. Of course what I DO NOT need! So is it EASIER to get Holiday dates when you have RCI POINTS rather than WEEKS? Just curious.
Fortunately we decided to do split stay @ BCV (our DVC points) and Sheraton Vistana Resort for THIS year! I suppose it won't be so awful to stay off property but definitely prefer staying on property!

Make sure you list all DVC resorts at WDW. Also only list 1 BR, don't list studios at least until you get the 1 BR. If you get a 1 BR and have to have more room, there are ways to do so that may work out better for you. You might even be able to get two 1 BR units so you might search for two if you need more space. A couple of caveat's. BLT and AKV and possibly OKW will be able to sleep 5 plus ONE under 3 for the 1 BR. If you get 2 units, you will have 2 exchange fees AND two additional $95 resort services fees. I'd say your chances of success with the dates you're listed and the suggestions I've made are pretty good if their TPU is in the mid 40's or above.

Thanks! I will have to put in a second request for a one bedroom (request is for 2 bedroom right now as I have four kids ages 4 and older). Putting in a second request will cost $...but will be refunded if nothing goes through.

I really don't mind paying to exchange fees and resort service fees..these timeshares usually go unused by my family and even with double the cost it is FAR less than two rooms at POR and I get better accommodations.

The requests are for all resorts at disney...and I really do want to stay on the property.

I did add dates to the week before thanksgiving, so hopefully that will help.

I am using points...so I have no idea what my TPU are. I tried to look them up on the week trades, we are working with Wyndham resorts trading through RCI and saw our trading power SUCKS....but I couldn't transfer weeks. It would only let me transfer to points. I have 210, 000 points and some of the one bedroom points for september (low points I think) were only 63,000. So I have some wiggle room I assume.

I too saw some one bedrooms open august and september....I just can;t do those dates. Hopefully more will open soon.

Any other advice would be great!!

No, Bonnet Creek is NOT a Disney resort even though it is the closest timeshare to WDW (surrounded on 3 sides by Disney property). The Dining Plan is available only at Disney resorts.

There could be some villas deposited about 7 months prior but, as noted, Thanksgiving thru mid-December is a very popular time for DVC stays and exchange opportunities will be very limited. Many RCI members started their searches over a year ago.

Good luck! :)

Thanks! I know I got a late start. I thought my Grandma only had Interval International...just learned she had RCI too. Maybe my week before thanksgiving as possible travel date will work better. I guess you smart DVC people know when the best time to go to the parks is!!

Thanks! I will have to put in a second request for a one bedroom (request is for 2 bedroom right now as I have four kids ages 4 and older). Putting in a second request will cost $...but will be refunded if nothing goes through.

I really don't mind paying to exchange fees and resort service fees..these timeshares usually go unused by my family and even with double the cost it is FAR less than two rooms at POR and I get better accommodations.

The requests are for all resorts at disney...and I really do want to stay on the property.

I did add dates to the week before thanksgiving, so hopefully that will help.

I am using points...so I have no idea what my TPU are. I tried to look them up on the week trades, we are working with Wyndham resorts trading through RCI and saw our trading power SUCKS....but I couldn't transfer weeks. It would only let me transfer to points. I have 210, 000 points and some of the one bedroom points for september (low points I think) were only 63,000. So I have some wiggle room I assume.

I too saw some one bedrooms open august and september....I just can;t do those dates. Hopefully more will open soon.

Any other advice would be great!!
The RCI points issue may be a problem. Normally the weeks for RCI points resorts that end up on the RCI weeks side are NOT accessible to RCI points owners using their RCI points. I don't normally look for DVC using my RCI points so I'm not sure how this is currently working using RCI points. Maybe some of the other members here who have both RCI weeks and RCI points have more info on that subject. Regardless and as a minimum, the ongoing search will not pick up DVC units that are on the RCI points side, at least that's my understanding. So you need to be checking frequently in addition to the ongoing search.

The RCI points issue may be a problem. Normally the weeks for RCI points resorts that end up on the RCI weeks side are NOT accessible to RCI points owners using their RCI points. I don't normally look for DVC using my RCI points so I'm not sure how this is currently working using RCI points. Maybe some of the other members here who have both RCI weeks and RCI points have more info on that subject. Regardless and as a minimum, the ongoing search will not pick up DVC units that are on the RCI points side, at least that's my understanding. So you need to be checking frequently in addition to the ongoing search.
Looking through the system, I see DVC options on the weeks side that I do not see on the points side. What I see and don't see from each side appears to confirm my understanding that when DVC (and other resorts that are RCI points resorts) deposits are moved from the RCI points side to the RCI weeks side, those particular deposits are not available to RCI points members but ONLY to RCI weeks members.

To a degree, DVC is a hybrid between being an RCI points resort with some connection on the weeks side. This unique nature may help you in that it MAY mean that deposits actually go directly to both groups. As I understand it, this possibility is the ONLY way you may have a chance of matching with your ongoing search using an RCI points account. IF all deposits flow through to the RCI points side first, I think you're chances of matching this request with the ongoing search is zero, at least more than 45 days out. You really need to be checking several times every day for possible deposits and that includes getting up and checking 5-6 am daily, esp starting around 7 months out (basically now) and keep checking daily until you're successful. And to answer the yet unasked question, yes both II and RCI will let you put in an ongoing search for something you have zero chance of matching.

With the 4 kids, are any old enough to be by themselves? If not, I wouldn't do the 1 BR and separate studio because there's a good chance you won't be able to combine them into one unit later or at check in and there's NO way to guarantee it other than a 2 BR. However, depending on what you do get, it's very possible you could guarantee that they couldn't be combined. IF you decide to do the 1 BR, I'd only list the 3 I mentioned due to unit size and design.

While Dec is relatively busier from a DVC standpoint, it's not impossible to get. I've been several times during Thanksgiving and Dec including early Dec using exchanges and seen MANY more deposits including EVERY year since DVC changed to RCI. I happen to think your chances of Dec are very good if you keep on top of the issue. What could happen is that the Nov times comes open first and you have to make a choice whether to take what's available or wait. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Looking through the system, I see DVC options on the weeks side that I do not see on the points side. What I see and don't see from each side appears to confirm my understanding that when DVC (and other resorts that are RCI points resorts) deposits are moved from the RCI points side to the RCI weeks side, those particular deposits are not available to RCI points members but ONLY to RCI weeks members.

To a degree, DVC is a hybrid between being an RCI points resort with some connection on the weeks side. This unique nature may help you in that it MAY mean that deposits actually go directly to both groups. As I understand it, this possibility is the ONLY way you may have a chance of matching with your ongoing search using an RCI points account. IF all deposits flow through to the RCI points side first, I think you're chances of matching this request with the ongoing search is zero, at least more than 45 days out. You really need to be checking several times every day for possible deposits and that includes getting up and checking 5-6 am daily, esp starting around 7 months out (basically now) and keep checking daily until you're successful. And to answer the yet unasked question, yes both II and RCI will let you put in an ongoing search for something you have zero chance of matching.

With the 4 kids, are any old enough to be by themselves? If not, I wouldn't do the 1 BR and separate studio because there's a good chance you won't be able to combine them into one unit later or at check in and there's NO way to guarantee it other than a 2 BR. However, depending on what you do get, it's very possible you could guarantee that they couldn't be combined. IF you decide to do the 1 BR, I'd only list the 3 I mentioned due to unit size and design.

While Dec is relatively busier from a DVC standpoint, it's not impossible to get. I've been several times during Thanksgiving and Dec including early Dec using exchanges and seen MANY more deposits including EVERY year since DVC changed to RCI. I happen to think your chances of Dec are very good if you keep on top of the issue. What could happen is that the Nov times comes open first and you have to make a choice whether to take what's available or wait. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

So, according to RCI....me trading to points is more beneficial. He says that the ongoing search will give me a hold if anything comes up, even if I don't have enough points in my account and it has nothing to do with trading power then. Which is better for me because weeks trading power for me is nothing. I forgot to ask if I should keep checking even though I have the search going. He also said I could put in two more request for 1 bedroom, which I may have better luck on, but Disney is hard to come by no matter what. He also said that if I am searching for a one bedroom, a two bedroom can be offered.

So, I guess I may sit and wait on my two bedroom, and decide on the two one bedrooms. Travelling will be me, my husband and our 14, 11, 8 and 4 year olds.

Thanks again for the insight.

...So, I guess I may sit and wait on my two bedroom, and decide on the two one bedrooms. Travelling will be me, my husband and our 14, 11, 8 and 4 year olds.

If you got the two one bedroom villas, you and your husband would be split up for the trip. One adult in each villa. One of your children would need to be 18 to be the "adult" in the villa.

So, according to RCI....me trading to points is more beneficial. He says that the ongoing search will give me a hold if anything comes up, even if I don't have enough points in my account and it has nothing to do with trading power then. Which is better for me because weeks trading power for me is nothing. I forgot to ask if I should keep checking even though I have the search going. He also said I could put in two more request for 1 bedroom, which I may have better luck on, but Disney is hard to come by no matter what. He also said that if I am searching for a one bedroom, a two bedroom can be offered.

So, I guess I may sit and wait on my two bedroom, and decide on the two one bedrooms. Travelling will be me, my husband and our 14, 11, 8 and 4 year olds.

My understanding is they are telling you incorrectly and when I looked online this morning, I was seeing options and weeks with my weeks account that I was not seeing with my points account which confirms to be he info I previously posted. I do believe your overall chances are better on the points side but that assumes you're checking constantly.

I believe these quotes from the points terms and conditions have some applicability.

Other limitations, restrictions and priorities may be employed in the operation of the Network, including limitations based on seasonality, Unit size or other factors. These limitations may not be uniformly applied and as a result certain Vacation Time or Points Partner Inventory may be restricted in availability based upon applicable
priorities and classification grouping of resorts, Vacation Time or benefits.
In any case, the Member must have the necessary allocation of RCI Points to reserve the desired Vacation Time or obtain the Points Partner Inventory.

TUG quotes that seem to apply
In RCI Points on the WEEKS side, you won't see anything at all that is in any point system. No Hiltons, no Wyndhams, no Shell, no Diamond, no WorldMark, no RCI Points resorts, nothing in a points system. It's a pitiful selection of resorts, for the most part. This was the intention of RCI Points.
I do know that they can pull the other weeks at times but it's done individually, not necessarily by an ongoing search. I'd keep searching as I mentioned and hope for the best. I think your chances are pretty good if you do it that way, pretty low if you don't.

Dean,

You are a wealth of information. I will keep checking and thanks for all of your help...and your hope!

And I'm OK with splitting up me and my husband....he snores anyway :rotfl2:
Not that I would even notice during a Disney Vacation....too exhausted and sleep like a log!

for a week in Disney through RCI the first week in December.
Place the request, but unless you are completely flexible as to resort and unit size, assume it will not happen and have a backup plan in place. That is the number one week, system-wide, in terms of owner demand. And, now that DVC has been firm about not depositing anything prior to the seven month window, well...it's a tough exchange.

If you can expand your dates in either direction, it would help a lot.

Just to give you hope I got 2weeks over Christmas through an RCI points trade. I got 12/16 - 12/30 and the 12/16 week showed up randomly last minute (booked it on 11/17). Plus they were able to combine my DVC booked studio with the 1bedroom RCI booking so we had a 2bedroom lock off. We only stay at SSR and that one seems to show up more often than the others so that works for us.

Dean,

You are a wealth of information. I will keep checking and thanks for all of your help...and your hope!

And I'm OK with splitting up me and my husband....he snores anyway :rotfl2:
Not that I would even notice during a Disney Vacation....too exhausted and sleep like a log!
You're very welcome. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter