• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

RCI Hawaii

Scrappy_Tink

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here used their points for any of the RCI Hawaii resorts? If so, which resort did you stay at, and would you recommend it? We wanted to try to stay at the DVC Hawaii resort in Sept 2011, but I don't think it will be open by then...and don't want to put the trip off for another year.

Thanks!

We've done timeshare trades to go to Hawaii but not DVC (another timeshare we own). The resorts were nice but normally not worth trading DVC for (except Hilton's); Marriott's in Hawaii do not trade through RCI. We have stayed at 3 of the resorts on the DVC RCI list: Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village, Shell Kauai Coast at the Beachboy and Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk. We'd stay at any of these again but the Hilton is probably the only one that would be an even trade for DVC (need to scope out a chair by the pool very early - they go fast).

If you haven't been to Hawaii before, you may want to do a split stay to a couple of islands. Each island has it's own merits. Maui is a good one to start with because it has a good mix of what Hawaii has to offer. Maui is tough for timeshare trades though so we rented condos there a couple of times - the prices have been quite reasonable. We had a nice 1 bedroom oceanfront just north of Lahaina for $150/night a couple of years ago; prices have gone up but, with the current economic climate especially in Hawaii, there are some very good deals. Renting is a lot more flexible as well.

We use frequent flyer miles and it's very difficult to find flight dates that coincide with a timeshare week when you're trading. Do a Google search on Hawaii condos, Maui condos, Kauai rentals - that sort of thing - there are a lot of them.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! We are trying to plan an empty nest celebration trip to HI. I really appreciate your opinion as to whether or not they'd be considered an "even trade". I'm trying to figure out if I want to hold out and try to get ressies at DVC in Hawaii when they open (I know it's going to be mega points, but I can only imagine how awesome it's going to be), use RCI points, or if they aren't worth it, possibly stay at the military Hale Koa (Nice and on the beach for the price). We've been so spoiled by Disney, it's hard to down-grade. :rolleyes:

The only resort on Maui I'd include is Kaanapali Beach Club, for Oahu it's the Wyndham and Hilton's. There are a few more choices for the Big Island and Kauai though they are pretty easy to get much of the year with things a lot less than DVC. You best bet for HI is a direct exchange with a Westin, Hilton or a Marriott member or possibly use reward points of some type.

We stayed at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk back in Jan. Non-RCI or DVC and a 1-bedroom with a very good view was only $150 a night cash.

Personally i woould not stay on Waikiki ever again, too many people and DUMBS(homeless on beach). Big Island was very nice.

Marriott still have a resort over by where DVC is building there new resort, we drove by the area on a trip around the island. It looked like a good place.

We stayed at Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk back in Jan. Non-RCI or DVC and a 1-bedroom with a very good view was only $150 a night cash.

Personally i woould not stay on Waikiki ever again, too many people and DUMBS(homeless on beach). Big Island was very nice.

Marriott still have a resort over by where DVC is building there new resort, we drove by the area on a trip around the island. It looked like a good place.
We stayed in a 1 BR there 18 months ago on an RCI exchange non DVC and our costs were around $300 for the week including the exchange fee. One should be able to rent directly from a Wyndham owner for less as well.

We stayed at the Mariott Ko Olina (next to where DVC is building) a few years ago and really liked it. It's outside of Honolulu and we enjoyed the peacefulness. It was really a nice resort. We paid cash and it was not cheap, but nothing in Hawaii is!

IMO I don't think very many of the RCI offerings in HI are worth trading for. You can book some really nice places on cash thru Costco... At least when they used II there were Marriott options. Maybe the Hilton on Oahu would be OK if you want to go to Oahu...

IMO I don't think very many of the RCI offerings in HI are worth trading for. You can book some really nice places on cash thru Costco... At least when they used II there were Marriott options. Maybe the Hilton on Oahu would be OK if you want to go to Oahu...
There are still some good options but because of Marriott and Westin, RCI certainly falls behind II.

We were lucky enough to trade into II for the Westin at Kaanapalli for this past Sept. It was beautiful but I am slightly irritated that DVC has chosen RCI to work with. The Kaanapalli Beach club is nice but no comparison to the Westin. Also the other resort on Maui that is listed looks run down. We purposely drove by it. We also took the tour @ KBC ( the RCI exchange) through Diamond Resorts to check out the rooms for a possible trade in the future. It was suppose to last 90 minutes, but it turned into 3 hours! They were offering great trade in values for our Disney points for approx 9500.00 in exchange for the ability to use II. The time just isn't right now to do this and plus I wanted to investigate more. Wow how their tune changed when we said no for about the fifth time. I have to say DVC really is low pressure when taking the tour.

Anyway ,The Point at Poipu looks nice in Kauii. That may be an option.

Hey Everyone. New to DVC this week. We bought into The Grand CA. I was looking at The RCI Hawaii Resorts and the Hilton resorts look to be the nicest. Am I reading it right, its 160 points for a 1 bedroom High Season for any RCI resort. Including Hawaii?? 160 Points seems low for the Hilton Resorts??? Thanks for your help.

Sean

Is there any report on being able to book the Hilton Hawaiian Village on points? I would love to trade into there...thats where we stayed on our honeymoon!!

I thought I read that it is near impossible to get any decent RCI resort at all.....which will be something I do not want to tell my DH because he is not the Disney nut I am and was looking forward to going other places.....

I dont know how hard it is to trade for it because I havent tried. But the DVC website lists an (RCI) Hilton Villa AT The Hilton Hawaiian Village. Check it out.

Hey Everyone. New to DVC this week. We bought into The Grand CA. I was looking at The RCI Hawaii Resorts and the Hilton resorts look to be the nicest. Am I reading it right, its 160 points for a 1 bedroom High Season for any RCI resort. Including Hawaii?? 160 Points seems low for the Hilton Resorts??? Thanks for your help.

Sean
I do know of one DVC trade but this resort is very difficult to get into. Basically assume it's never going to be available and be happy if you get it. As for the implication that a 1 BR at that resort being a far better value than a DVC week (or 160/270 points), I'd definitely quibble with that idea. I'd agree that it's on par but not that there is a significant difference in value in favor of the Hilton. YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter