Rats! Can't wear patch and drink topical drinks?!?

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
I'm totally scared about getting seasick. I was planning on getting the patch for our cruise. I just saw a warning, though that you can't drink alcohol while wearing the patch! So no frozen tropical drinks for me while laying out on Castaway Cay?!? :sad:

Is this because it might intensify the alcohol?

I'm not recommending ignoring the warning, but DH has been known to indulge in a beer whilst on the patch and it hasn't killed him, yet. :rolleyes1

Can you remove the Patch while on Castaway? You are there for the day? AT least you could have a few there... :sunny:

On our last cruise my daughter thought she would try it without the patch at first. When she felt sea sickness coming on she put one on and felt better in about an hour. You might want to try that on your cruise...no sense wearing it if you don't feel sick.

Another suggestion: Why not remove the patch when you awake the morning of your Castaway Cay stop? Put it on a piece of wax paper while you're not using it, then put it back on after returning to the ship.

No, not talking about THAT activity rumored to make you go blind...

But DW was wearing the patch last cruise and commented that she was having trouble w/ reading, maybe her eyes were going bad...well, um, we've both had our 40th birthdays and so I just said "so go see my opthamologist when we get home" and would not have thought much more about it...until DW said that many things were blurry...and she mentioned it to another couple we had met on board, and they were Doctors and said that it could be the patch. Something about how the patch works has the side effect of dilating the pupils. So off went the patch and back came the eyesight. Confirmed this w/ one of her Doctors back home after the cruise.

I've gone w/o the patch since our first cruise, when I wore it out of preventative fear. Since then, just one rough night crossing the gulf stream in 20 foot seas got me a bit queasy, but nothing else in a total of 4 cruises since the first. But that's me. And when I did wear the patch, no one told me not to drink so I did, though only very moderately, and same for DW on all of our cruises.

Enjoy your cruise, and decide for yourself what that should included.

The side effects of the patch can be wicked even without drinking...my mom had vision so blurry she couldn't read and had trouble walking..they told us to remove it right away!! If you are goign to take the chance and use the patch then be sure to try it out before you leave, better to have horrible effects at home and near a Dr than on the ship!

I drank with the patch...no problems. But, let me tell you, I am the queen of sea sickness and I will never wear that darn patch again. I wore it for two cruises with no problems (except for drymouth, but the alcohol stopped that ;) ), but on the third, I had some major vision issues (see above.) I went to medical and they said "get it off, NOW!" I then used whatever is given away free and it worked perfectly. Don't waste the money and time on the patch (this coming from a person who used to sing the praises of the patch) and use what they have on the ship...oh and drink up :drinking1 Plus, it has withdrawl symptoms as well, which are worse than being sea sick, IMHO, that I suffered from.

Well, I have actually found that the patch prevents hangovers. :rolleyes: I suffered from severe dry mouth on the patch, so much so that I couldn't enjoy some champagne at sail-a-way because it was too dry to swallow. I didn't want to drink anything carbonated or dry wine. My friend told a bartender of my predicament, and he made me something frozen called a Bushwacker. Let me tell you, these were so good and so smooth, I'd had no idea what was in them, and at that point, I didn't much care!

Well, that was one night I had to use the "I need to go" code (which is no questions asked, get me back to the cabin ASAP). My friends thought they wouldn't see me till dinner the next day (as they knew, but unbeknowst to me, the Bushwacker was 100% alcohol except for the ice). They were shocked to hear from me wanting to go to brunch the following morning. I was fine! However, lesson learned, and Bushwackers are now limited to 1 or 2 a cruise, and not about the half dozen I absent-mindedly drank in one evening... ;)

On the note of blurred vision -- this happens too. You are especially vulnerable if you touch the patch and then rub your eyes. The medicine in the patch causes your pupils to dilate; hence the blurry vision. I have found that it helps to put a small, circular band-aid over the patch to help any inadvertant touching and transferring.

How about dramamine(non drowsy)? Can you drink with that? What is best to use, the patch or dramamine? :confused3

The patch was WONDERFUL for me. Dramamine makes me loony.
The only side effect I had was dry mouth--I guess. About mid-week I remember commenting to my husband that nothing tasted good to drink...I just thought it was from drinking so much! We pretty much drank from noon on each day....and strangely was never drunk!
Actually the day we had moderate waves I was a bit queasy (it was the last day of my first patch). Found that a drink eased the queasiness...something about the fact that tipsy is similar to the wave effect!
Try the patch before you go. My mom & dad & myself have used it every cruise w/ nary a problem (and we all have had alcohol!) DH didn't use or take anything, and was only bothered on moderate wave day on highest aft deck (disco) He was positively green up there!
Happy cruising!
\Kris

Neither DH or I can get on a boat, any boat or ship, without a patch on and we're usually on the open sea a couple times a month. The side effect of eyes dilating, fuzzy vision and dizziness IS caused by the medicine getting into your eyes. As recommended before, putting a band-aid or first aid tape over the patch will help. I haven't suffered this side effect in 5-6 years, since I started taping over the patch.

For most people the patch works really well, but please try it on dry land BEFORE your trip to make sure you can tolerate it. pirate:

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I'm pretty scared about getting sick so I think I'll try the bandaid over it and maybe a drink here or there... ;)

Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often.
This medicine comes with a patient information sheet. Read it carefully before using.
Wash and dry your hands before applying the patch.
Tear open the package carefully; do not cut it open.
Take the liner off the sticky side before applying.
Apply the patch to dry skin behind the ear.
If the patch is loose or falls off, apply a new patch at a different place behind the ear.
If treatment is needed for more than 3 days, apply a new patch.
After you take off the patch, wash the place where the patch was and your hands thoroughly. If a dose is missed:
Apply the missed dose as soon as possible.
If it is almost time for your next dose, apply a new patch and return to your regular dosing schedule.
Do not apply two patches at once.

Proper SCOPOLAMINE (Topical) (Patch Storage
Store SCOPOLAMINE (Topical) (Patch at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep SCOPOLAMINE (Topical) (Patch and all medications out of the reach of children.

What To Avoid While Using SCOPOLAMINE (Topical) (Patch
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Do not drink alcohol while wearing the patch.
Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking any medicines that make you sleepy such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain killers, or tranquilizers.

SCOPOLAMINE (Topical) (Patch Warnings
Talk with your doctor before using the patch if you have glaucoma, lung disease, prostate problems, trouble urinating, heart disease, or any other medical problems.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before you use this medicine.
This medicine may cause drowsiness. Be careful while driving a car, using machinery or doing dangerous jobs.
This medicine may make you sweat less and cause your body to get too hot. Be careful in hot weather, when you are exercising, or if using a sauna or whirlpool.

SCOPOLAMINE (Topical) (Patch Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
Severe skin rash or hives
Confusion or memory loss
Cannot go to the bathroom (urinate)
Severe eye pain If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
Dry mouth, nose, throat, or skin
Drowsiness
Constipation
Blurred vision.
Dry, itchy or red eyes

My husband has used the patch for years. But the side effects, specifically the dry mouth, were almost as bad as being nauseous. So, after some research on the internet I was able to find a device called the Relief Band. It is FDA approved to treat motion sickness and morning sickness. It basically looks like a watch. You put a gel on the inside of your wrist and place the relief band over top of it. When you feel a little tingle in middle finger you know it is working. This thing worked really well for my husband. He had no side effects whatsoever. The device is a little pricey ($80 and up). But if you experience motion sickness like my husband, even an elevator can make him nauseous, it might be worth it. But, please consult your doctors first before using this device.

I would not recommend the patch or pills to cllients since I'm not a doctor :flower: Instead I would STRONGLY urge them to seek their doctor's advice. A woman collapsed on a ship once, wearing TWO patches. It almost killed her because she was also taking blood pressure medication, and had not asked her doctor if using the patch (or two) would be a problem. Ended up being a major problem - nearly bottomed out her blood pressure.

To be safe, consult your doctor. He/she will know what is best for your individual situation.

I suffer from vertigo and take medicine to control the symptoms (which include nausea). Over the years I have taken just about every form of medication known to control nausea.

Personally. I hate the "drugged" sensation that most medications cause and try to avoid them until I no longer have a choice. I can't recommend any antinausea medication for a vacation where you want to drink alcohol. With one exception - ginger. But ginger doesn't always work nor does it work for everyone. But I always try ginger first because it CAN work and doesn't have any side effects.

I have never needed anything for sea sickness on a cruise ship. Our first cruise we expected that the swaying of the ship would aggrivate my vertigo so we stocked up with medications. Well, the only times I got dizzy were when we were in port! I would be standing on dry land and all the sudden the land would start swaying. It only lasted about 2 seconds but it would send me spinning for about 20 minutes. Luckily it passed quickly and I was able to recover without medicine.

I would try to go without anything to begin with, then try the ginger either in candy or capsule form, then go on to some of the stronger medications if you think you need them. Most of these medications will make you drowsy and alcohol will aggrivate that side effect.

If you have cruised before and KNOW you will be sea sick then consider investing in a sea band. They are expensive but they help without causing that " I am drugged" sensation that the other medications seem to create.

lenshanem said:
I'm totally scared about getting seasick. I was planning on getting the patch for our cruise. I just saw a warning, though that you can't drink alcohol while wearing the patch! So no frozen tropical drinks for me while laying out on Castaway Cay?!? :sad:

Is this because it might intensify the alcohol?

Ok, now I know it's time to log off my computer, been on here too long! I was reading another thread about Pirate Night, then came here and thought " Now why in the heck shouldn't you wear a patch while drinking?" Thought you meant the other patch! pirate: :blush: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter