Rainy Day Activities at HHI??

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
I'm trying to get psyched up for our upcoming trip to HHI, but looking at the weather forecast, I'm getting very depressed:sad1:. We were really hoping to take a well-deserved, de-stressing trip and just lay out at the pool all day. We planned to do a few activities (dolphin tour, kayak trip, etc) and cooking out on the grill, but we were really looking forward to some pool/beach time too. Now, I see that the forecast is for rain and thunderstorms (50-60% chance) for every day that we are there except for the last day:sad:.

So now what?:confused3 I want the kids to stay off of their electronics as much as possible, but it will be difficult if I don't have any good alternatives for them. Shopping and any other activities that involve spending extra money is also not really a consideration since we are on a tight budget and I don't really have a lot of wiggle room for extraneous expenses.

Maybe I am worrying too much. I'm used to the Florida forecasts showing rain all the time because I understand that it does rain a little bit almost every day in Florida, but certainly not enough to kill the trip. We've only been to HHI twice and we did have one day of rain for most of the day. Fortunately, it was only 1 day. We arrive on April 2 and depart on April 7 so I am hoping that perhaps the weather models are still a little too far out to be completely accurate. Unfortunately, I've been watching it and the chance of rain keeps INCREASING:umbrella:.

I don't know the ages of your kids, but there are family board games in Big Murgie's Den that you can take out. Also, there's a billiards table and checkerboard table in Big Murgie's Den-those you CAN'T take out! I've seen people in the pool in the rain!

It is wayyyyyyy too early to predict the weather accurately for Apr 2-7. If I were you I wouldn't even look until the earliest Thursday or Friday next week. It's just going to stress you out. It will change a dozen times until then.

It is wayyyyyyy too early to predict the weather accurately for Apr 2-7. If I were you I wouldn't even look until the earliest Thursday or Friday next week. It's just going to stress you out. It will change a dozen times until then.
^^^THAT'S what I was hoping to hear:worship:

I don't know the ages of your kids, but there are family board games in Big Murgie's Den that you can take out. Also, there's a billiards table and checkerboard table in Big Murgie's Den-those you CAN'T take out! I've seen people in the pool in the rain!
The girls are 11 and 13 and they do love to play billiards. Since we have a 1BR booked, there's also a good chance that we will be in the main lodge too so that's a great idea.

The one time we went to HHI it stormed all day and poured BUCKETS for the first 2 1/2 days. There's not a lot to do around the island in the rain. There is one really small movie theater and we did go there one day. We pretty much just laid around the room bored out of our minds as most of the activities we had planned for the week were watersports related. I would bring movies to watch, books & games to play just in case if the forecast doesn't improve.

It might not rain all day every day, so I would consider getting over to the pool and the beach when it isn't raining. Also, the rooms have DVD players and you can rent all of the Disney DVD's for free. There is also a large calendar of activities put on by the Lifeguards and or B'Lou each day. The Lifeguards do crafts with the kids each day and have bingo nights 1-2 times per week. B'Lou is a musician/storyteller that is really good with kids. Sometimes he brings Shadow the dog, and kids love Shadow. In the afternoons they have cookies and lemonade in the front of the main lodge. There is also a ping pong table near where the lifeguards hang out. This is all great stuff to fill in the rain times. If worst comes to worst, the rooms have WiFi.

They also have games and other activities set up in the community hall. There are DVD's you can check out at the mercantile to watch back in the room if needed.
Our last trip said it would rain everyday, it only rained once, but we brought our rain jackets just in case.

My DD and I have ridden bikes and played mini golf in the rain. I bought rain pants and jackets for our Alaska cruise and have used them a couple times at HHI. I agree that it probably won't rain ALL day even if there are some showers. Too bad we are checking in on the 7th or our kids could play!

My DD and I have ridden bikes and played mini golf in the rain. I bought rain pants and jackets for our Alaska cruise and have used them a couple times at HHI.

Thanks for the suggestion! At Thanksgiving, if it's raining at HHI, I'll be the one on the adult tricycle, wearing a yellow Disney poncho!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter