Rainforest Cafe?

Katiebug

Mouseketeer
What do you guys think about Rainforest Cafe for lunch? My kids love the one near home. I've heard mixed reviews.

Which one is better - Animal Kingdom or Downtown Disney? or does it not matter...

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer!:wave2:

We LOOOOOVE the RFC. DS 19months absolutely loves the animals and is not scared at all. We have also been going since they opened in DTD and we really like the food. I have tried them both and I really don't prefer one over the other foodwise. I must say we eat at the one at DTD more often because we like to shop afterwards and wander around.:p

Another BIG vote for the Rainforest ... we love it too - We like the one in DD best, but the one at AK is great too ... AND if you get hold of a premium lunch voucher, you can eat at the Rainforest Cafe at AK for a pretty good discount. The lunch voucher isgood at the Cafe for either lunch or dinner ::MinnieMo

We too enjoy eating at RC. The mixed reviews on the board took us by surprise. Since your kids enjoy RC, your kids reviews of the restaurant may be the only opinions you need.
We prefer the DD one because we also shop at the DD stores after our meal.

We went to the RFC at the AK for the first time last week and was pleasantly surprised! I had also read many mixed reviews on this board and did not know what to expect. Sice we haven't found any place good to eat at the AK we decided to try it. The kids (DS9 & DD5) liked it - we saw some younger ones who didn't like the "thunder & lightning", the dark and the animal noises, but mostly everyone was ok. And I don't know if it was just our area (the gorilla room) but it was quite cool and DD kept complaining that she was cold - so was I!

We also like the gift shop. I bought a giraffe shirt, a couple of plates on sale, and the kids found some stuffed birds on sale from $7.95 each to 5/$10.

It was a good experience for us and we would go again. Make a ps if you decide to try it - even with one we had to wait a bit.

Jill

We have been to RFC many, many times (both locations) and have never had a bad meal or poor service. We always go at least twice during each trip... it's that good!!!! I have not noticed a difference in the two although I do think the RFC in Animal Kingdom is less crowded.

I only went to the RFC in AK once but loved it! I am going back on my upcoming trip. I find it weird that a lot of people did not like the food but to each their own. I feel it is definitely worth a visit.

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We love RFC! We eat there every trip while visiting DTD. For our upcoming trip, I had considered dropping RFC from the list and trying something new. Well, when I told my DS's this they were outraged! :eek: They begged to go back to RFC again, so it's back on the list! :D

We have only been to the one at DTD, but I've read good things about the one at AK also.

We love Rainforest Cafe too...I also think that the one in AK tends to be less crowded than the one in DD.
The only thing I have noticed is that it always seems really cold in there! We have eaten there 4 or maybe 5 times, and every time I can remember freezing and wishing for a sweater (my daughter was always cold too.)
In any case, we really enjoy it and try to get there every trip.

I'm so glad to hear some good reports about RFC in AK. We would like to go for and early dinner on Sat., May 22. I'm going to call for a PS, but I have never done that before. Do you think it is going to be hard to get one less than 20 days before our trip or should I be ok? 6 adults and 2 highchairs. This is the first time that DH & I haven't gone solo. We would like to go about 5:30ish, after we watch the parade. I've looked at the menu on allearsnet.com and the food sounds great. I'm getting hungry thinking about it! (And it's only 9:45 AM!):tongue:

I have called twice to get a PS and had no problem either time, although there are only two of us, so the size of your party may make it more difficult.

DH and I love the Rainforest, and often visit the one in Nashville, since that is the closest to us.

We have never eaten at the Rainforest at the Animal Kingdom, but I imagine it may not be as busy as the Rainforest Cafe in DTD. If you want to eat that the one at DTD, I suggest putting in your name early - it is not uncommon to have a 2 hour wait in the evening - afternoons usually aren't as bad, but again, it can be hit or miss.

We love the animatronics inside the restaurant, and the food has never been a disappointment!

FYI - The RFC at AK closes at 6 pm. Because they close so early they do not change menus. And you can use VK lunch vouchers there until close.

We had dinner (just DH and I one evening) at the RFC at DTD... it was great. Then we had lunch (using vouchers) at RFC in AK (our entire family). Both were great (food quality/etc.)... our youngest was a little taken back by the thunder and darkness... but she was okay after a few times... then she realized it was just fake noise like a radio or something and not a real storm going on (real storms freak her out here at home).

I don't know that I can say one was better than the other... we liked both for different reasons but neither stands out as better or worse than the other. I guess we prefer the location of the one at DTD better- since we spent more time there and we had to make a trip to AK JUST for that lunch ... we weren't going to the park that day (we'd already been to AK 2 days that trip and done/saw everything again!) -so that was kind of a pain going out there just for that. I wouldn't recommend doing that. LOL

hi:wave:
if you have a ps for the RFC at animal kingdom for 5 or 5.30 pm would you be rushed through your meal seeing as it closes at 6 o clock

thanks eve::MinnieMo

We went at 5pm one day. We did not feel rushed at all. The servers are great and really helpful in picking choices.:sunny:

The RainForest Cafe is fine, though a bit pricey for what most consider to be "ordinary" foods, like hamburgers and salads, etc. I think price is the source of most of the negative reviews.

The Vacation Kingdom Lunch Vouchers cost about $30 and you can get them through Hotwire.com or Connections. There is a thread all about them at the top of the page. There are restrictions on which restaurants and the times you can use them. However since the RFC at AK closes at 6pm the restrictions are more lenient. Also the servers like to help you order the most expensive items as their tip is included in the voucher. For instance, we bought two vouchers total $30. We had three children ages 11, 8, and 8 with us. We ordered two chicken strip appetizers, 2 steak and lobster entree (costs $49 on the menu), 2 drinks (they allow the frozen type), and the Volcano dessert. We added 3 more drinks to our bill and had enough for everyone! We asked that the appetizers be served with the entrees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter