Rain with an ECV

jsgrant5

Mouseketeer
The only time I have used an ECV at WDW was in December and it did not rain. Going this year in mid September and worried about the weather. What is the best way to keep the rental ECV dry when it rains?

Put a shower cap over the steering and then I wear a rain poncho and put it over the ECV to keep it dry.

Put a shower cap over the steering and then I wear a rain poncho and put it over the ECV to keep it dry.
Can you still see the controls with the poncho over them? Is it easy to drive that way? Did you ever have your ECV malfunction if you took these precautions?
I have purchased several hair caps for this purpose. I couldn't find clear colored shower caps to buy. These caps are the type used by hair salons when processing perms or hair coloring.

I have gotten clear ones at the Dollar Tree. I have never had a problem with the controls being covered. Most just have forward and backward controls. I have never had one malfunction and I have been using one for over 10 years.

I put a clear kitchen trash bag over the tiller. I wear a poncho & drape the back over the seat back to prevent sitting in a puddle.
This works perfectly every time!

Do you park and walk some? If so, fold the seat down or bring another poncho to cover the seat. A wet butt is not fun.

There is good covered parking in most EPCOT pavilions and in Tomorrowland by the TTA entrance.

I have never had a scooter fail due to rain but I tend to try to get under cover if it rains.

Have a great time.

Once you know where the controls are, you can even cover the tiller with a plastic shopping bag and still operate the ECV.

You can also get a poncho on Amazon that covers the passenger, drapes over the front and back of the ECV, and has a clear plastic window in front so you can see the controls.

Thanks for the tips. I do have a large poncho and will look for clear shower caps. Hopefully I won't need it. Ha Ha

I believe in being very preventative when using an ECV during rainy weather. All the above suggestions are good ones. And when you are stuck in a crowd like with a parade or fireworks you need to use a poncho or shower cap or both. You won't be able to escape; so, your scooter will get wet.

Pay attention to the forecasts everyday and be prepared.
Next, look up at the clouds periodically when you are in the park. If it's dark and cloudy head for a show attraction and wait it out.
There are plenty of cubby holes to seek shelter for a while.
Duck into a gift shop or have a bite to eat at a quick service restaurant and again wait it out.
Basically, we try to avoid being in the rain.

If you are parking the ECV to go in to anywhere, be aware of the skies. If there's any chance of rain, make sure your tiller (the area with the controls) is covered and your seat is folded down and parked under cover if possible. We have had the misfortune to have the seat of the ECV be accidentally parked right under a gutter downspout. Squishy seats = no fun!
If you are using a poncho to cover the front of the scooter, you may want to think about a way to anchor it (bungee cords, clothes pins, giant rubber bands) so it doesn't blow away.

I bought and brought with us inexpensive tiller control covers from Amazon. We didnt actually need them, but I felt more comfortable having them and they didn't take up much space

Walkers advertise theirs as the only rain resistant rentals. They also claim larger batteries and longer battery life. I hope to use them next time we go

After hiring a scooter from a bad place the first time - which died halfway round the World Showcase when the heavens opened - and that was after putting a bag over the tiller - I've been very wary of driving in rain.

The people I hire from now (Florida Mobility Rentals) told me not to worry about rain unless it's very heavy. In fact, he drove it to our accommodation in drizzle without even putting a cover over the tiller.

Last year OH and I got stuck at MK during the worst rain we've ever encountered (the tail end of Gaston and the run-up to Hermine). I do have a full scooter and body cover but it hasn't been out of the bag yet. I flapped my poncho front over the handlebars and operated the scooter from inside so my arms also stayed dry. We were watching the ground for deep puddles (we were stuck by Guest Services and there was a worryingly deep puddle right at the foot of the ramp), but made a run for it. Well, I made a slow roll for it - I didn't want to kick up a shock wave as that could have splashed the battery and cut the motor out.

So, yeah, cover the tiller, try and avoid puddles, and if you really can't, go slowly through them.

After hiring a scooter from a bad place the first time - which died halfway round the World Showcase when the heavens opened - and that was after putting a bag over the tiller - I've been very wary of driving in rain.

The people I hire from now (Florida Mobility Rentals) told me not to worry about rain unless it's very heavy. In fact, he drove it to our accommodation in drizzle without even putting a cover over the tiller.

Last year OH and I got stuck at MK during the worst rain we've ever encountered (the tail end of Gaston and the run-up to Hermine). I do have a full scooter and body cover but it hasn't been out of the bag yet. I flapped my poncho front over the handlebars and operated the scooter from inside so my arms also stayed dry. We were watching the ground for deep puddles (we were stuck by Guest Services and there was a worryingly deep puddle right at the foot of the ramp), but made a run for it. Well, I made a slow roll for it - I didn't want to kick up a shock wave as that could have splashed the battery and cut the motor out.

So, yeah, cover the tiller, try and avoid puddles, and if you really can't, go slowly through them.

We were there during that same time! LOL we ran around singing our Hurricane Song at the top of our lungs: "No one RAINS like Gaston, No one STORMS like Gaston, No one drizzles and fizzles and STINKS like Gaston!" LOL

And covering the tiller with the front of the poncho works so well - plus it helps keep your hands dry!

We were there during that same time! LOL we ran around singing our Hurricane Song at the top of our lungs: "No one RAINS like Gaston, No one STORMS like Gaston, No one drizzles and fizzles and STINKS like Gaston!" LOL

And covering the tiller with the front of the poncho works so well - plus it helps keep your hands dry!

I don't believe it - I was singing a very similar song - but not with the second part of your one!!! Isn't it a small world!!

Walkers advertise theirs as the only rain resistant rentals. They also claim larger batteries and longer battery life. I hope to use them next time we go

FWIW, my mom and I met another mother daughter traveling pair in the wheelchair section while waiting for Fantasmic! at DL back in July. (The mom said she is a poster here so "Hi!" if she happens to be reading this thread. It was the first evening show on the park's birthday, if that rings a bell.) Anyway, she said that she previously rented from Walkers but would not be doing that again. She advised my mom to go with Buena Vista, both because they can deliver directly to Disney World resorts and because other scooter users seem to speak very highly of them.

FWIW, the one time I had a really rainy day and had not thought ahead I asked my resort housekeeping for a trashcan liner from one of their big trashcans. It was clear and covered the whole tiller. I tore a little hole for the key. Then I got a Disney poncho and was off. the pictures are Hilarious! Talk about a drowned rat...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter