Rain Rain Rain

graybow77

Mouseketeer
I know many of you have been through this before. I will be at Disney Next week and it is calling for rain almost every day. and huge percentages. will rides be running during rain and if they have to close during thunderstorms will they reopen soon as the weather clears?????... I have thousands of dollars on the line LOL and want to make sure we will still have things to do..

Thanks in advance..

There is a lightning strike distance where they have shutdown transportation/rides. I think they have to wait for a certain distance from the last lightning strike, before opening those rides.

Be sure to pack ponchos!

According to where we are when it looks like the rain is coming (I also keep an eye on a weather app) I am aware of the indoor shows, queues, and restaurants to go to if it starts pouring. Also a good time to shop.
As far as the rides go, if closed, I am sure they will re-open as soon as it is safe to do so. When we were there last early October, it rained and sometimes POURED for a half hour to an hour each day. Very little lightening though, so that was good.

I feel for you..... when we went our last time to Disney, it rained every day. One day was a tropical storm. Honestly, we just put on our ponchos and decided to have fun no matter what. there's ALWAYS something fun to do at Disney. The great thing is, if they do close a ride, chances are it will open back up sooner rather than later.... and the parks will be low on crowds. That happened w/ us and we rode Splash mountain one time after another... there was no one there so the CM's didn't make us get off. It was a blast !! Same w/ Space Mountain, we just got off and got right back on. Sometimes a little rain isn't all that bad. I hope you have fun on your trip no matter what it does.

When I went last year, it was forecast to rain every day (and it did rain every day), but it was very scattered, and not for very long in most of the cases except 2 where there was an extended rain. It was so hot when I went (at least for me), that it was kind of a blessing when it did rain, since it cooled things down for 20 to 30 minutes.
But yeah, pack ponchos.

It looks like just Saturday and Sunday that are the complete washouts. And its not just your week thats just Florida in the summer : )

Screen%20Shot%202019-06-05%20at%204.09.46%20PM.png

A weather forecast a week out is quite literally, worthless.

Also: I assume at this point, you're going no matter what. No use in worrying about the weather. Prepare for it (meaning bring a rain jacket – NOT a poncho) and make the best of whatever you get.

Rain can be your friend at wdw. Lots of people will leave when it starts raining.
Since people have FP+ and pay so much for tickets, i don’t find typical rain helping much anymore. Guests are too invested in that day to easily give up. (unless it’s 5+ hours of rain then wet tired people finally give up.)

Question: What happens to FP+ if ride is shut down because of rain? Do they convert to anytime FP? ?

I am not a frequent visitor, but I remember our last trip in June, forecast called for rain every day, but it was literally a quick shower a few times through the entire stay.

We will be there at the same time. Hopefully it's just "normal" Florida daily showers.

We have been down at this time before and it rained all day, every day.

Last year we went and the rain was more normal. Daily thunderstorm lasting for a few hours.

In SW FL, we have had predictions of 90% chance of rain for the past several days. We've gotten none. You may or may not get any rain of any big amount. Put on a poncho, make sure you bring spare shoes to wear when one pair is wet and enjoy the parks. If there is lightning, stay indoors.

Also keep in mind that a 90% chance of rain doesn't mean that it's going to rain for 90% of the day. It means that there is a 90% chance that it will rain sometime during the day, which , at this time of year, often means what can be very brief thunderstorms.
Thank you! So many people don't know this.

People always freak out when they see 80% or 90% chance of rain, thinking it's going to rain ALL DAY. That's really unlikely. There's a 80 or 90 percent chance there will be rain at some point that day. And in Florida that can easily be 1/2 hour and it's over. We had a forecast similar to that last September. It rained every day, but MAYBE for an hour.
The Orlando forecast is going to look very similar to next week's for the next few months.

Question: What happens to FP+ if ride is shut down because of rain? Do they convert to anytime FP? ?

I am not a frequent visitor, but I remember our last trip in June, forecast called for rain every day, but it was literally a quick shower a few times through the entire stay.

We were there in April and walking to our FP at TT saw that it was closed due to rain. They told us our FP would be good anywhere in the park except Frozen. The rain had stopped so we hung out at the TT entrance and heard them test running cars. It was just a few minutes and they opened so we got in the stand by line and rode and then used our anytime FP at Soarin!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter