Rain in Nov/Dec

As others have said, it can be a roller coaster. I've been a couple of times the week before Christmas and one year it was warm enough to swim (I'm from Georgia so that means higher than 77) and another year we were wearing jeans and scarves and jackets. Even the year it was warm enough to swim, some nights it would get cool enough we had to wear sweatshirts. We have been earlier in December and had the same thing. I don't remember any gully washers like summer time but I do remember some all day kind of cooler misty days and a few cloudy looks like its going to rain any time but didn't but was cooler days. I'm going the week of Dec. 12th this year and plan on taking a few skorts, a few pairs of leggings, some T-Shirts and some long sleeve T-Shirts, the usual umbrella and rain jacket, probably a hoodie and maybe even tuck a lighter jacket/coat and a few scarves in. Thankfully I drive so I can pack as much as I want.
I have been in December one time, it was the 2nd week. I think it was 2010. It was so cold! I believe they were having a record cold that week. We had to wear layers including, a heavy winter coat and hats. I still remember being cold with all that on. I’m glad we took our winter coats and hats. It was cold when we left Ohio so that’s why we had them.They covered all the plants and I saw on the news the manatees were swimming somewhere else? The pools had steam coming off them. Anyway it was as cold as it was where I live in Ohio. Cold and windy!
My granddaughter never wanted to go back in December because she said it’s to cold!
We are trying again this year 😂.

😆 For a certain value of ‘cold’ maybe! If you’re a northerner (or Northern European - I’m in the UK) Florida is never actually cold, even in January/February. We’ve been in Orlando in February and it was one of the nicest trips we’ve had - shirtsleeve temperatures during the day and a light jacket or sweater after dark.

I'm in the lake effect snowbelt. I've been out shoveling 2ft of snow in -10F with a wind chill of -35F.
I find a raw rainy 60F to be not quite warm.
I also call 40F but wind chill of 32F pretty cold when we are talking Florida especially if you don't have the clothing for it.

Last edited:
We have gone for about 20 years this time of year. We have experienced temperatures as low as 32. You could not buy a sweatshirt, gloves or hat WDW - anywhere. We have had temps that are 80 and above. And, to confuse things up, one year both happened in the same week. Rain is sporadic but when it comes, and the temps are lower, is feels cold. Every year is different. In Dec timeframe we plan for all the above.

Lots of good information here but also lots of one-off experiences that most likely won't happen.

We live right next to the parks now and have been for 7+ years. Before that we visited the parks for over 30 years during that period. In general there is little rain at all during those months.

We have been to WDW 3 times during Thanksgiving and once the week after christmas through new years. We experienced very little rain. Their was one day in November where it poured all day and the weather became very cold afterwards. However, all the other weeks, it was fairly warm. it was in the eighties with no rain or humidity during our December trip. The one summer trip that we took it rained every evening, there was heat lightening every night, and it was hotter than satans attic. November and December have been the best weather months for my family. Late February can be nice or very warm.

My parents who are Florida residents refer to November through February as "dry" season. Obviously it can still rain, but in general, rain is less common in those months. I have always found the temperature to be the most unpredictable aspect of the weather those months, so the key is to layer. I do a lot of the runDisney races in November/January, and anyone else who has done them can tell you we have run in 30 degree weather, all the way up to 80 degree weather; and, that can happen within the same weekend, lol.

Lots of good information here but also lots of one-off experiences that most likely won't happen.

We live right next to the parks now and have been for 7+ years. Before that we visited the parks for over 30 years during that period. In general there is little rain at all during those months.

Not just a one off experience here.
I've been to the parks late November/mid December about 2 dozen times.
There have been times I've been in shorts and there have been times I've been in a parka.
There's also been a few times that I trusted the weather forecast a bit too much and then it was absolutely freezing and raining and I was unprepared.
I think one thing that locals forget is if the weather is not suitable they can just plan for another day or walk out of your house fully prepared for the weather which is likely why you don't recall having such experiences.

And don't forget that hurricane season runs through November 30th so there's something to think about.

We will be there the first week of December. This is good advice, thanks all. I wasn’t planning on worrying about rain. I will now pack plenty of ponchos and our umbrellas. I only planned on taking one zip up hoodie, a couple pairs of jeans, several t shirts, and a couple pairs of shorts. Do think that will work?

You really have to be ready for anything and pack last minute. I’ve gone that week many times. One time it was a high of 48 on our arrival day. Other times, 80’s all week. Usually little or no rain but one time we had 24 hours of hard rain twice in one week. My general rule Is if highs are below 70, it will get cold after dark, plan on jeans. I’ve even taken a light winter coat and gloves. If it’s 80’s, bring shorts.

As others have said, it can be a roller coaster. I've been a couple of times the week before Christmas and one year it was warm enough to swim (I'm from Georgia so that means higher than 77) and another year we were wearing jeans and scarves and jackets. Even the year it was warm enough to swim, some nights it would get cool enough we had to wear sweatshirts. We have been earlier in December and had the same thing. I don't remember any gully washers like summer time but I do remember some all day kind of cooler misty days and a few cloudy looks like its going to rain any time but didn't but was cooler days. I'm going the week of Dec. 12th this year and plan on taking a few skorts, a few pairs of leggings, some T-Shirts and some long sleeve T-Shirts, the usual umbrella and rain jacket, probably a hoodie and maybe even tuck a lighter jacket/coat and a few scarves in. Thankfully I drive so I can pack as much as I want.
The strangest experience for us was back in 1997, our first visit to Florida. We opened our motel door one morning and walked out into a hot fog, like a sauna. Not just a slight mist but a real pea-souper such that there were warnings going out on the TV. I got the impression it was so unusual that Floridians weren’t used to fog generally - the TV broadcast was along the lines of, don’t go out until it lifts (which it did by mid-morning). We’ve never seen anything remotely like that on any of our subsequent trips (although we still have plenty of cold fogs here in the UK 😊 )…

I agree with everything that's been said about being prepared with layers (including a winter coat/jacket) and a poncho or packable rain jacket. In particular, World Showcase feels the coldest to me when it's chilly and rainy, so be prepared for that! And the best tip I can offer for staying (mostly) dry while taking advantage of rainy days when crowds are low is to pack a pair of rubber flip flops in a backpack for every member of your party, and to also wear either a cropped pant or one that can be rolled or pushed up if it's rainy. I agree with PP who said that there can be very large puddles that accumulate and if you're wearing jeans, the water will wick up them and can make you very uncomfortable. My solution has been to either wear cropped leggings or joggers that can be pushed up to just below my knee once the rain starts, and to change out of my sneakers and socks into my flip flops. That way, any splashing is on my bare skin, which is easy to dry off once the rain stops, and my shoes and stocks stay dry in a large Ziplock in my backpack for later use.

Last edited:
Dec 2019 was very unusual weather. Dec should be a dry month. I was there and late Dec was pretty wet. But very mild mist days even on an evening. Xmas day was lovely, Xmas Eve poor with drizzle. As I say, unusual.

Just wanted to update that this weekend was the perfect example of rain in November/December.

I arrived Thursday evening... it was lightly raining.
Friday I went to Disney Springs and then the MK after hours and it lightly rained much of the time at MK between 6pm and 1am.
Saturday I went to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. It lightly rained on and off all day at both parks.
Sunday I went to MK, EPCOT, and HS. It sprinkled at MK, lightly rained at EPCOT, and lightly rained at HS. Then it was raining at my resort.
It was cloudy nearly the entire time and only got "hot" for a couple of hours on Sunday.
I used a poncho each day.
This is why I like to be prepared for rain even in November/December.

It's Florida. There is always at least a 30% chance of rain.

Plan accordingly.

I never go to, well anywhere here without some sort of rain protection.

The only season we have here are hot and rain everyday, slightly less hot and slightly less rain, and kind of hot with sporadic cold days and lesser chances of rain.

Just got back last Friday. Trip was from 11/08 through 11/19.

Three days of significant rain - significant in that it rained on and off for a good bit of the day, effectively chasing me back to my hotel room. Not thunderstorms, just persistent rain.

Highs were mostly in the 70's with a few days in the low 80's.
Lows were in the 50's and 60's.

I seem to be jinxed for after hours parties. This year was the second time I attended one, and it rained most of the time (just like it did the first time). I think I'll stop attending them ...

Just got back last Friday. Trip was from 11/08 through 11/19.

Three days of significant rain - significant in that it rained on and off for a good bit of the day, effectively chasing me back to my hotel room. Not thunderstorms, just persistent rain.

Highs were mostly in the 70's with a few days in the low 80's.
Lows were in the 50's and 60's.

I seem to be jinxed for after hours parties. This year was the second time I attended one, and it rained most of the time (just like it did the first time). I think I'll stop attending them ...
Yes!!! We were there too. Other November trips were sunny with little/no rain, but this year we had lots. Still rather be at wdw with a poncho but it is important to help set expectations. Some days the rain just wouldn’t let up.

Here now - spittle rain off and on for last 3 days in mornings mostly - today is clear and sunny with a high of 66 and we’re wearing light pants, long sleeve shirts with sweatshirts this morning.
We attended the Xmas party on Sunday night and had no rain

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter