Rain expected between the 6th and 8th?

arcadiandj

Later in life Dis'er!
Greetings to all and Happy Thanksgiving!!! My wife and I will visit next weekend and are trying to plan an itinerary with the weather in mind. Do any of you have a sense for what the weather might be like on those days? For locals, is rain predicable? For example: always clear in the morning and stormy in the afternoon or vice versa? We were hoping for some pool time but get the idea we may only get to visit the hot tub. You know, when life gives you lemons;) Any suggestions for how to spend those coming days/rainy days inside or outside of the parks? Please share any insight so we can make the most of our 3 day visit! Thanks!

Too far out to know if it really will rain or not. Check back two days before. Rain is not predictable here at all so hard to say! But I do think rain or no rain it will likely be too cold for the pool. Although you truly never know!

California weather is so crazy. It is so cold and rainy today and I’m thinking back to thanksgiving two years ago when it was 90 degrees!

Too far out to know if it really will rain or not. Check back two days before. Rain is not predictable here at all so hard to say! But I do think rain or no rain it will likely be too cold for the pool. Although you truly never know!

California weather is so crazy. It is so cold and rainy today and I’m thinking back to thanksgiving two years ago when it was 90 degrees!
Thank you SOCALMouseMommy!

These threads have good information on wet weather in the parks:
Rain
Can we chat rain?
Advice for solo trip with rain!

As pp have said, rain patterns are not really consistently predictable in Southern CA. But, one thing is predictable, consistent, and reliable: the better your rain gear is, the more fun you can have in the parks during wet, cold weather! Having good outerwear is key to being able to stay in the parks from open to close during wet, cold, and even stormy weather, while remaining warm, dry, and comfortable the whole time. For us this means waterproof shoes (shoes/boots/rubber boots), rain pants, and waterproof and windproof rain jackets/coats. We saw people whose jeans got very wet/soaked just by sitting on the tram because of all the water on the seats and the rain blowing in while the tram was in motion. They were pretty wet from the waist down even before they entered the gates. A longer jacket or coat or rain pants could have helped prevent that. And dollar store ponchos (that are meant to be thrown away after riding Splash or GRR), trash bags, and shopping bags do not count as rainproof outerwear. We saw plenty of people wearing those things yesterday -- they all had soaked clothing under the plastic, soaked shoes or just flip flops, and they were all complaining loudly about how they were freezing. Predictably not fun!

Last edited:
Any suggestions for how to spend those coming days/rainy days inside or outside of the parks?
As posted above, make sure you have rain gear and you will find plenty to do in the parks. You can even bring a change of clothes to keep in a locker in the park just in case.

For outside of the parks, you can bowl or go to the Void in Downtown Disney. I used to love going to the Grand and having drinks in the hotel lobby bar, but it seems like everyone else likes that now, too, and it isn't as easy to get a seat. Some of the restaurants, Steakhouse 55 comes to mind, can take a couple hours for the meal, so that's another thought to be out of the rain.

I don't know where you are staying, but for me the pools would all be way too cold this time of year. I think a couple places have indoor pools, so I might brave it for that, but I couldn't imagine using an outdoor pool ever in December, even if it were sunny and warm outside.

As posted above, make sure you have rain gear and you will find plenty to do in the parks. You can even bring a change of clothes to keep in a locker in the park just in case.

For outside of the parks, you can bowl or go to the Void in Downtown Disney. I used to love going to the Grand and having drinks in the hotel lobby bar, but it seems like everyone else likes that now, too, and it isn't as easy to get a seat. Some of the restaurants, Steakhouse 55 comes to mind, can take a couple hours for the meal, so that's another thought to be out of the rain.

I don't know where you are staying, but for me the pools would all be way too cold this time of year. I think a couple places have indoor pools, so I might brave it for that, but I couldn't imagine using an outdoor pool ever in December, even if it were sunny and warm outside.
The entire pool comment has to do with last year when it was warm enough for us to actually swim day and night around these dates. We are realists and understand that was something special. We just want to hear from those in the know!!!

The entire pool comment has to do with last year when it was warm enough for us to actually swim day and night around these dates. We are realists and understand that was something special. We just want to hear from those in the know!!!
You may be fine in the pool and certainly in the hot tub -- we've seen families swimming in the rain when we thought it was freezing! It's all relative to what you're used to back home. But do check for lightning! If there is any lightning about, head inside pronto!

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is that around here, rain forecasts tend to move farther out as they approach.
Right now weather.com is predicting rain tomorrow, with no rain until a few showers on Saturday, then AM showers on Sunday. I'm guessing tomorrow's rain will happen, then we won't have much until late Saturday (if at all) and Sunday.

We're planning to go on Saturday, but there's a baby in the group, and if it's looking ugly at the last minute we'll probably cancel to keep him out of the weather. But if the "few showers" forecast holds, and you don't have someone with a low immune system, it could be a fabulous day. A little shower on/off keeps the air clear and can give us beautiful days.

There is supposed to be a big storm starting late Tuesday night through mid-afternoon Wednesday, and then a smaller storm on Saturday, and ending by Sunday morning.

Boy was I wrong about the weather! I hope you’re having an enjoyable trip, even though it’s quite soggy.

Boy was I wrong about the weather! I hope you’re having an enjoyable trip, even though it’s quite soggy.
We are heading into winter. That’s usually when we get rain. It’s raining now at my job in Los Feliz, not sure about Anaheim. One of my coworkers is going this weekend and they have rain gear ready to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter