Rain and Birkenstock's...

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
Quick question:

When you get caught in the rain- is it always a downpour? The kind that drenches your feet?

Birkenstock's are my favorite go to when we're at Disneyland but we don't deal with rain there. Going in late June so I know that's one of the rainiest month and trying to prep.

Is there a predictable time of day it rains? If I wore them only in the evenings after we take an afternoon break, would that be a safer bet?

Or just accept my fate and buy the water friendly Birks just for the trip. 😂

(For those that don't know, you're not supposed to get birks wet. I can waterproof them but still not good to get them soaked a lot... or so I've read)

When you get caught in the rain- is it always a downpour? The kind that drenches your feet?
Depends on the time of year. In the wet season (Summer and early fall) yes, it will be a drenching downpour which will last for ~30 minutes in mid-afternoon. Other times of year its spotty, with a rainy day typically being an all-day event, but that is rare.

Yes, I’ve ended up with very wet feet at WDW. If you’re taking a backpack I would stash a pair of regular flip flops in there to put on if it rains. Then, you won’t ruin your Birkenstocks and will also have a dry pair of shoes when the rain stops.

Go to the battle with the Birks and the unpredictable rain. Arm yourself with wipes. Apply cork sealer on your sandals before and after the trip.

Have back up shoes in your room or better if you can fit it in a tiny bag.

Ive abandoned my plans of bringing my Boston as I don’t want to walk on them for more than 4hrs. I’ll have my EVA Arizona for pool and in-room lounging. I’ll be in multiple Air Maxxes for park time.

Quick question:

Birkenstock's are my favorite go to when we're at Disneyland but we don't deal with rain there. Going in late June so I know that's one of the rainiest month and trying to prep.

Is there a predictable time of day it rains? If I wore them only in the evenings after we take an afternoon break, would that be a safer bet?

(For those that don't know, you're not supposed to get birks wet. I can waterproof them but still not good to get them soaked a lot... or so I've read)

They do sell Birkenstocks that are plastic-like. Great for the beach and wet weather.

FYI, I don't wear my Birk's in the rain because the footbed that is so comfy not drenched, becomes a bit slick so that my toes can't grip where they're supposed to grip and awkwardness ensues. Maybe you're more sure-footed than I, but me in wet Birk's looks like a bad-tourist "streetmosphere" act :crazy:

Thanks all for the tips- it's so helpful! Perhaps having back up flip flops in a bag is the easiest way to keep the 'favorite' footwear dry!

Quick question:

I understand. Birkenstocks are my all time favorite shoe. I was just at the mall today looking at all the new styles. Did you know they make a water resistant type shoe? I think it's called the EVA. I plan on buying a pair for myself and daughter because now my daughter likes them just as much as me! In the past if I wore my Birkenstocks to the park, I'd carry a pair of cheapy flip flops in my backpack just in case it rained. Now I don't have to with EVA!

FYI, I don't wear my Birk's in the rain because the footbed that is so comfy not drenched, becomes a bit slick so that my toes can't grip where they're supposed to grip and awkwardness ensues. Maybe you're more sure-footed than I, but me in wet Birk's looks like a bad-tourist "streetmosphere" act :crazy:
I cringed when you mentioned wet footbed. I don’t like that feeling, even on my EVA Arizona. Lol

Yeah, mine got messed up one long, sloggy night going around Epcot. better to have some back ups for the rain. I have never tried those Eva Arizona. I'm going to have to check those out

I have a pair of Mickey Birks - I would hate to have them ruined in the rain, so I always carry a pair of cheap flip flops in my bag - just in case. I learned my lesson the hard way when I wore good shoes (Tory Burch Millers) one evening on our "date night" at Epcot - it rained....I ran...the park FLOODED....leather and water don't mix. Lesson learned...and flip flops carried...every time we go out in my "good shoes". I was never so happy to see the Birkenstock EVAs created the next year!

Get some Birkencrocs. Their official name is probably EVA that people mention. But if you do a search in Amazon for Birkencrocs you will get results.

On a trip to Florida, one of my beloved Birkencrocs fell out of the car at a gas station. We had to make an emergency trip to Walmart. They have an off-brand version there that feels the same and has lasted. The color is ugly, but for the price I can deal with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter