Ragland Roads Irish Pub and Restaurant - a review

chuckcorden

DVC member, Pirates of the Caribbean fan, UConn fa
Walk,don't run to Ragland Road's.

I had a 6:00 reservation for Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. However, I had heard, on more than one occasion during my trip, negative comments about the restaurant. So I decided to cancel the reservation. I called Member Services to do so and while I had them on the line, I asked if there was a 6:00 opening at Ragland Road Irish Pub and Restaurant. There was, so I made a reservation. I am extremely glad that I did so.

It had been raining for much of the afternoon so I decided to forego the boat and take the bus to Downtown Disney. I had never been to DTD before, consequently when I arrived at Pleasure Island and saw the clubs; I thought to myself, “My son and daughter would love it here.”

The rain had slowed but the wind was blowing hard. I had some time before my reservation so I toured the area. When I arrived at Ragland’s I had a short wait and then was led to my table. The place was not crowded.

I started with Irish Soda Bread with a Guinness and sugar reduction to be used for dipping the bread. It was wonderful.

MarchtriptoWDW494.jpg

For the appetizer, I had Simple Smoked Salmon: salmon with capers and crème fraiche. It was excellent and just enough.

MarchtriptoWDW495.jpg

I followed this with Paddy’s Pork; stuffed pork loin with a honey glaze served on leeks, cabbage and mashed potatoes. I found the entrée a little too much. While it tasted delicious, I was not able to finish.

MarchtriptoWDW496.jpg

By the time I ordered dessert, I was feeling somewhat full. However, I ordered Ger’s Bread and Butter Pudding and when I received it I drizzled the accompanying maple syrup (at least I think it was) and cream on. When I tasted it, I was in Heaven. This was the best dessert I have ever had in WDW. Believe me, it was to die for.

MarchtriptoWDW502.jpg

I give Ragland Road five stars and that is for the atmosphere and the dessert. However, the appetizer and entree were wonderful, also. My table could have been better: I felt that I was somewhat out of the action. That could have been me, however. After having superb locations at other WDW restaurants, I may have become spoiled.

And while I’m describing my dinner at the Pub, a humorous incident occurred. There was a couple sitting about two yards away. I had been taking pictures of the food and the restaurant and writing notes in my notebook. I noticed that the woman stood upand approached me. “Excuse me,” she said, “Are you a critic?” I answered in the negative and said that I was just a compulsive note-taker.

I've just made our last ADR (Raglan Road) for our trip that begins May 9th! I'm so glad I did, thanks to your awesome review!! Love the pictures!!! What's this about EE...I'm working up my courage....eek!
UCONN fan transplanted to the Coast of Maine!

Never dined at Raglan Road, and to each his own...but Boma is our favorite restaurant on property. I've been to nearly all of the resorts too, and AKL is one of our favorites to visit.

Glad you enjoyed Raglan Road. We've dined there twice and enjoyed it both times. I must admt that I can't recall ever seeing a negative review of Boma - it just goes to show that everyone has different tastes though.

Glad you enjoyed Raglan Road. We've dined there twice and enjoyed it both times. I must admt that I can't recall ever seeing a negative review of Boma - it just goes to show that everyone has different tastes though.

I think the only negitive thing I have ever heard about it is from people that just dont like buffets in general...

Great review! Did you see any small children (toddlers) there or would they be out of place?

We too liked RR when we ate there last Sept. And I agree, the Bread 'n Butter Pudding was to die for. :cloud9: I especially loved the butterscotch sauce (and cream). The sauce was the same that my DD7 got on her ice cream (nicey icey). Funny thing was when I was served it the server explained that they had run out of the larger cups so I got 2 smaller ones instead-lucky me! The only dessert I had that trip that was (slightly) better was the almond crusted cheesecake at Narcoossee's-Also TDF!

Heres a pix (from my review):

I had the It’s not Bleedin’ Chowder, which was so good that that's what I'm planning on having again this Sept.-yummo! :cloud9:

Great review! Did you see any small children (toddlers) there or would they be out of place?

Thanks for the compliment. At the time I ate (6:00 PM), children would not seem out of place. In fact, while I was waiting to be seated, there were a number of children (of varying ages) waiting. However, where my table was located, I couldn't see any children.

Late night, I imagine Ragland's would have a different crowd.

We love Raglan Road :thumbsup2

The last time we were there was after a DVC Summer Block party last August in Doentown Disney - when we left we just walked into Raglan Road and had a lovely meal (again).

We are there again in August and have booked dinner twice - lovely food!!

David

I've just made our last ADR (Raglan Road) for our trip that begins May 9th! I'm so glad I did, thanks to your awesome review!! Love the pictures!!! What's this about EE...I'm working up my courage....eek!
UCONN fan transplanted to the Coast of Maine!

I rode on EE during my trip last October. I really thought I was gonna die especially when the cars climbed up to the broken rails, paused, and began to run backwards at the same speed they had been going forward. Never again or, at least, never until they start serving drinks during the ride.:rotfl2:

Thanks for the compliment. And it's great to meet another Huskie fan. There are a lot of us!!:banana:

we enjoyed RR as well, and our DD's 2 and 4 were not out of place....it wasn't past 8 or 9 though, not sure what happens then (if in fact something does?).

Thank you so much for posting!!! We are going next month and I am in love with that pork paddy already!!!!:woohoo: I will also have my kiddos with me and I was worried if that would be appropriate, thanks for alleviating my fears.

And while I’m describing my dinner at the Pub, a humorous incident occurred. There was a couple sitting about two yards away. I had been taking pictures of the food and the restaurant and writing notes in my notebook. I noticed that the woman stood upand approached me. “Excuse me,” she said, “Are you a critic?” I answered in the negative and said that I was just a compulsive note-taker.

We were at Wolfgang Puck Cafe, taking photes and notes; the man next to us asked if we were culinary students. :rotfl: No, just Dissers!

Loved RR - We shared the sampler for dessert and our bread puddin' was as big as yours. I tried three trips to get to RR, something always happened and we had to cancel. Now, I'm plotting my next visit!

we enjoyed RR as well, and our DD's 2 and 4 were not out of place....it wasn't past 8 or 9 though, not sure what happens then (if in fact something does?).

We have had our kids there later in the evening and it was great. They have amazing music and a beautiful Irish Dancer. The dancer was very sweet with our DD (9) and gave her a lot of attention.

We love RR!! Although sometimes we now eat fish and chips at Cooke's of Dublin and then go to RR for dessert, drinks and entertainment. You get the same meal at Cookes for $8.00 vs $15.99 at RR.

Gooooooo Gators!

:lmao: :rotfl2: If I saw someone taking pictures, I would assume they're a DISer.

Thanks for your review.

Thanks for the reviews. You now have reinforced my decision to make this the only "do-over" restaurant on this next trip. The Bread and Pudding is wonderful :thumbsup2

When I read this, I thought it was going to be a NEGATIVE review of Raglan Road. :)

We enjoy it very much, also.

Cheers!
Heather W

Would you believe that I meant to say "Run, don't walk to Ragland Road"? No, I didn't think so.:rotfl2:

Thanks.

Would you believe that I meant to say "Run, don't walk to Ragland Road"? No, I didn't think so.:rotfl2:

Thanks.

LOL! Sure, I'll believe you meant that, after I finished reading your glowing review! This is confirming my choice now towards Raglan Road for my first night's dinner. I was waffling between this and Todd English's bluezoo. After reading some really negative reviews of bluezoo, I think I've made my decision. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter