Race medal question....do all races give finisher medals to those who are swept?

Qltrgrl2

DIS Veteran
My daughter is writing a post on our blog and I am trying to get some facts about how races (other than Disney) handle the runners who DNF. If you have participated in non Disney races that give out finisher medals can you please post the race and if you know the answer about DNF/medals. It will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Some that I've done:

Richmond - No
Charlotte - No
Rocky Raccoon - No
RnR San Antonio - No
Houston - No
Marine Corps - No
Austin - No
RnR VA Beach - No
RnR Madrid - No

In short, with the sad exception of Disney, races give finisher medals to those who finish. If Disney wants to give out thanks-for-trying medals, it'd be a lot easier to just hand them out at packet pickup.

John, This is exactly what we thought, but we have only done the R and R Virginia Beach (which we finished ;)) so we were not sure. I have asked questions on the FB pages of some of these races, but no responses yet. Really appreciate your answer.

I'm going to agree with John that the number of races that give out finishers medals to people that are swepted is probably small. The only ones I know of are Disney and R&R. In R&R's case, they don't sweep unless you're injured, they move you forward in the course in you fall off pace.

That being said, I've been in several races with combined marathon and half where half marathoners who fall off pace can still finish with official times and medals after the course closes but they need to finish on sidewalks.

I've actually done some local races where you don't even have to start to get the medal. One race gave it out at packet pick up, which was kind of a buzz kill. Another one posted on its FB page that if you registered but were unable to make it to the race let them know and they will mail the shirt and medal to you. Granted these are small local races but still...

In short, with the sad exception of Disney, races give finisher medals to those who finish. If Disney wants to give out thanks-for-trying medals, it'd be a lot easier to just hand them out at packet pickup.

100% agree! I always wonder how many people get those medals without finishing and actually come back the next year to earn it as a finisher?

The RNR Chicago swept people when they weren't at a certain point on the course by a certain time. My understanding is that they didn't get a medal, but I have heard that RNR has at least in the past, swept people, driven them to the finish line, and had them run/limp across it and get their finishers medal. Haven't witnessed it myself, but RNR and Disney are the only two race series that are known for giving medals to everyone. Most small races I have participated in don't even give you a shirt until you cross the finish line.

Agree with what's already been said...outside of Disney and Rock n Roll, it's practically unheard of, at least with the races I've run. I personally don't really care either way. I run and race because I have genuinely grown to really love the sport, and medals are just that..pieces of metals. What matters to me is my PRs, and all the hard work that I've put in to get where am I today (and hopefully still improving!) But at the same time, I can't really imagine why anyone would want a medal for a race they didn't finish.

To answer the OP question as it applied to WaD tonight, on the way to the car today at about the 3 hour point of the race I saw a sweeper bus offload about 20 athletes into a totally separate finish area in another parking lot. They had the same powerade water food boxes set up, and all were given (and accepted) medals. Based on the timing I'm guessing they made it half way or less? Some were actually laughing about how they didn't have to finish to get the medal and would now have more energy and time for the after party. Different strokes for different folks...

I think its become a 'new norm' for Disney races where people sign up planning on being swept knowing full well all they'll manage is 1-2 miles..

I really disagree with this because I feel medals should only be given to those who finish the whole race in the allotted time- They are endurance races not 'fun runs' and so not everyone can and should participate.

I think in a lot of ways it devalues the race...

-em

To answer the OP question as it applied to WaD tonight, on the way to the car today at about the 3 hour point of the race I saw a sweeper bus offload about 20 athletes into a totally separate finish area in another parking lot. They had the same powerade water food boxes set up, and all were given (and accepted) medals. Based on the timing I'm guessing they made it half way or less? Some were actually laughing about how they didn't have to finish to get the medal and would now have more energy and time for the after party. Different strokes for different folks...

That's just sad in so many ways. I don't know who I have less respect for, Disney for giving out the medals or people for laughing about taking them.

Yeah but they may not have been genuine. They may have been trying to save face with each other, or convince themselves. Live and let live. *I* wouldn't handle it that way, but...

BOTH....

First, there is a growing entitlement subculture who are no longer embarrassed about not finishing and actually start the race knowing they can easily bail and still look like a finisher later that day. There are a growing number of blog entries on the web noting their so called accomplishments. I want to say that a vast majority of the ones I find are actually not proud of the fact but there are a few stick in you eye blogs that make you want to cry foul.

Disney just because since 05 or 06 they have thrown a bone to swept runners who were caught out be surprise. They seem to have a high level of fear that a guest would be upset by an action that happens while visiting the parks.

I think many of you are being really insensitive to those athletes who trained just as hard, if not harder, than you did for a disney race and were swept. Let's be clear that not every person who is swept planned on just running a mile or two and getting the medal anyway. There are folks who work their butts off and are extremely disappointed that they were swept. Do they deserve a medal? Absolutely. These races are more than just the race. They are the journey leading up to them too. And some of those folks who were swept went on the same journey as we all did and trained hard. They deserve the medal and them some for having the courage and the tenacity to keep going and trying even though those balloons were on their tail.

Don't "lose respect" for those who were swept and accepted a medal. Give them the utmost respect and be thankful that you have never been swept.

Do the medals say "finisher" on them? No. All participants absolutely should receive one.

Could there be people who signed up knowing they wouldn't finish but wanted a medal? Sure. Maybe. But does it harm you at all that they have one? No.

OP - sorry for the hijack. I know some of the folks who replied won't look at this post and think of those people that are sad to have been swept after having put so much effort in and realize that they definitely deserve a medal. But I hope your daughter will respect those people who worked their butts off and tried their best. I hope my kids realize that that is the most important thing.

I think many of you are being really insensitive to those athletes who trained just as hard, if not harder, than you did for a disney race and were swept. Let's be clear that not every person who is swept planned on just running a mile or two and getting the medal anyway. There are folks who work their butts off and are extremely disappointed that they were swept. Do they deserve a medal? Absolutely. These races are more than just the race. They are the journey leading up to them too. And some of those folks who were swept went on the same journey as we all did and trained hard. They deserve the medal and them some for having the courage and the tenacity to keep going and trying even though those balloons were on their tail.

Don't "lose respect" for those who were swept and accepted a medal. Give them the utmost respect and be thankful that you have never been swept.

Do the medals say "finisher" on them? No. All participants absolutely should receive one.

Could there be people who signed up knowing they wouldn't finish but wanted a medal? Sure. Maybe. But does it harm you at all that they have one? No.

OP - sorry for the hijack. I know some of the folks who replied won't look at this post and think of those people that are sad to have been swept after having put so much effort in and realize that they definitely deserve a medal. But I hope your daughter will respect those people who worked their butts off and tried their best. I hope my kids realize that that is the most important thing.

This is so true! One of the attractions of a Disney race is that it is supposed to be a fun, rather than hardcore occasion -- or at least that is how they bill it.

My dear friend has been swept and received medals and she trains harder, has a better work ethic, and certainly "earns" the medals more than I do. She should absolutely accept her medal. This is not a purple heart which should only be awarded under very specific conditions, it is supposed to be the culmination of a lot of hard work for a fun accomplishment. For people who don't do these races every month or week, this is a big deal. And to not finish is heartbreaking. Everyone who starts a Disney race cannot finish in 16mm, but making the effort is certainly medal-worthy to me. People who are not fast, who don't even enter local races at home because they know there is no way they will finish in 3 hours or less and that is considered "slow" for those races -- for us, Disney offers an opportunity we don't have other places. What a shame to realize that fellow WISHers feel we are unwelcome to try.

And yes, I did finish every Disney race I've entered. I don't feel like my personal accomplishment is diminished in any way by giving medals to people who are trying their best.

Maria :upsidedow

Sorry, I disagree....

From runDisney....

"Race participants in the Walt Disney World® Marathon will receive:
Champion® Unisex Long-Sleeved Marathon Tech Shirt*
Commemorative 20th Anniversary Mickey Mouse Finisher medal*
Official Race Program Guide*
iGiftBag
Personalized bib (Must register by November 1, 2012 for name to appear on bib)*
On-course and post-race refreshments
ChronoTrack B-tag timed race
Personalized results website

Dates, times and prices subject to change. All races are subject to capacity limits and may close at any time.

* Participants must attend Packet Pick-up at Disney's Health & Fitness Expo to receive their race packet, bib, and tech shirt. Finisher medals will be distributed to finishers during the race. None of these items will be mailed to registrants that did not participate." Emphasis added....

You are correct that the medal/lanyard does not say finisher. But frankly it is an insult to finishers from the winner through the last struggling runner who is peddling as hard as they can to cross the finish line. You know the runner, the one who suffered through the last 10 miles with a huge blister, dehydrating and just barely willing their body to take that very next step.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I would rather the Race Director reserve medals for actual finishers and for that very last place runner's RIGHT to say I FINISHED! and wear their medal proudly.

Otherwise, just hand it out at the expo and be done with it

Sorry, I disagree....

You are correct that the medal/lanyard does not say finisher. But frankly it is an insult to finishers from the winner through the last struggling runner who is peddling as hard as they can to cross the finish line. You know the runner, the one who suffered through the last 10 miles with a huge blister, dehydrating and just barely willing their body to take that very next step.

Sorry if this offends anyone but I would rather the Race Director reserve medals for actual finishers and for that very last place runner's RIGHT to say I FINISHED! and wear their medal proudly.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, as I hope you acknowledge I am welcome to mine. And I have been that DLF finisher, so perhaps I offer a different perspective. I would hate to think someone would read what you posted and decide not to even enter a Disney race, because if they didn't finish and yet wanted to wear their medal to celebrate the long journey and hard effort, they felt they were not allowed to do so. If the medal if offered, it can be worn. And proudly.

WISH is supposed to be a community of support and encouragement. It makes me so sad that it has apparently evolved into a group that is reserved for the "real" runners.

This is the first year since I had my kids that I'm running again. Back in 1998 (!!) when I did my only 15k, it was a major race (Gate River Run in Jacksonville, FL) and I finished at just over a 10 minute mile pace which I was super proud of but I did not get a medal. Back then, they only gave medals to the first 1,000 or 5,000 or some # of runners and I didn't make the cut despite finishing in what I considered a very respectable time. So, it's kind of funny to me that anyone would get a medal whether they finish or not.

I thought it was crappy that I didn't get a medal even though I finished a pretty major race, just because it would be a nice reminder of what I consider to be a big accomplishment (all I have is the race bib). So, I'm glad races have switched to giving medals to all finishers. But, I do think that you should have to finish to get a medal.

That being said, having the courage to start is amazing and I would NEVER disparage someone for trying and not finishing (despite my full year of training, I could be that person, due to injury, starting too fast, or just having a bad day). I just don't think they should get a medal. And I think the people who do it (start with no intention of finishing just to get a medal) intentionally are few and far between. Just my opinion, of course!

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, as I hope you acknowledge I am welcome to mine. And I have been that DLF finisher, so perhaps I offer a different perspective. I would hate to think someone would read what you posted and decide not to even enter a Disney race, because if they didn't finish and yet wanted to wear their medal to celebrate the long journey and hard effort, they felt they were not allowed to do so. If the medal if offered, it can be worn. And proudly.

WISH is supposed to be a community of support and encouragement. It makes me so sad that it has apparently evolved into a group that is reserved for the "real" runners.

I think you will see i am very supportive of runners on this site. I am not supportive of the RD on this (or the very few who game the system).

I will continue to support and encourage runners on this and other sites. I think learning to run an endurance event is a LIFE ALTERING process that is scary for most folks the first time they send in the entry but so rewarding once they get across the line. Just because I believe that a finisher's medal should be what it is labelled does not mean that I or others are any less supportive of those who try and fail. Frankly, folks learn and gain more from one failure than any easy success.

I think you will see i am very supportive of runners on this site. I am not supportive of the RD on this (or the very few who game the system).

I will continue to support and encourage runners on this and other sites. I think learning to run an endurance event is a LIFE ALTERING process that is scary for most folks the first time they send in the entry but so rewarding once they get across the line. Just because I believe that a finisher's medal should be what it is labelled does not mean that I or others are any less supportive of those who try and fail. Frankly, folks learn and gain more from one failure than any easy success.

I have to agree with Coach and I dispute those claims that those swept were more trained than most people out there. If that was the case, they wouldn't have been swept. I had my close encounter this year during the Marathon and the reason I was hurting is because I didn't not train properly. I was in a car accident before my 18 mile run, and stopped training alltogether. I let others convince me that I would be fine if I took it easy when I originally e-mailed runDisney to say I wouldn't be participating. I was hurting, and you know the majority of the people around me that day were not properly trained either. Some had injuries (from under or overtraining), but the majority weren't as prepared as some claim they must be. I would never laugh at anyone that did not finish, I just don't see why they need a medal. Would you not be more inspired to come back the next year to earn it?

Either way, no one has any business entering any race they aren't trained for. It doesn't matter if it is Disney or your local small races. But, just know that the majority of races will never give you a medal for trying.

I would hate to think someone would read what you posted and decide not to even enter a Disney race, because if they didn't finish and yet wanted to wear their medal to celebrate the long journey and hard effort, they felt they were not allowed to do so. If the medal if offered, it can be worn. And proudly.

Whoa! First, if you think Coach is anything but supportive of everyone on WISH, then you have not been around lately. And you are also insulting to the rest of us who support all comers to this site, regardless of whether they walk,wog, or run.

And why would anyone who can read look at a race site that says "finishers medals" and expect to be given something if they didn't finish. I'm all for celebrating accomplishments--I grabbed an "I did it" button at the MK after my races, and I cheer like hell for all racers on course--but just don't expect to be given the reward for finishers just because you started the race.

And if a person doesn't want to enter, because s/he can't bear not to get a medal regardless of his/her performance, then maybe s/he should find an event where everyone gets a medal, so they'll feel okay.
Maura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter